mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Trance X29- Street Pricing?

Hey Everyone,

I'm relatively new to MTBR... I was an avid mtn. bike rider ~10-15 years ago and recently got back into shape and have started to ride again. The bike I ride now was "state of the art" 12 years ago...it's a K2 Carbon full suspension. It still works relatively well but I want disc brakes and more suspension travel. I also worry about all the pivot points of the pro-link fork that probably need servicing and which I can't buy parts for.

Yesterday I went to my lbs and was really impressed with this new Giant bike. I looked specifically at the Trance 1...it was ~$2,700.

My question is, what is a realistic purchase price of bikes these days? Now before I get flamed, I realize the importance of supporting my local bike shop...but at the same time, I don't like paying retail for anything. $2,700 is a lot to pay for a new bike and I'd like to work it down a bit.

On a side note, I have always enjoyed wrenching on my own bikes...I have seriously looked at the Airborne bikes, specifically the upcoming HobGoblin, but I know the maestro suspension system is highly regarded...

FYI, I live in a suburb outside of Los Angeles so I can travel not to far to hit up higher volume dealers if need be...

Thanks in advance for your advice/suggestions!
    Pete

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Unfortunately, unless you're a frequent face at the local Giant dealer who is friendly enough to recieve a discount, you can probably expect to pay the sticker price on this bike. The simple fact of it is that this bike was just released, shops are just getting them in, and there's a lot of buzz circulating around it. There's no reason to clear existing stock or drop the price on this bike at the first scent of a sale, the bike is selling itself at the market price. If it's not you purchasing it, it'll be the next guy through the door, and that's great for local bike shops who bare high hidden costs by having this stuff on display. An overwhelming majority of customers are still waiting for this bike to be available in their territory.

Your best chances at talking down the price will be on a 2012 bike that's got a bit of dust on the rims from sitting for a while. Until then, you gotta pay to play

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Appreciate the info Banshee Rider! My lbs is supposed to have the Giant Demos in the month of October so I will try it out. Makes sense, Giant's HQ is in the same city - Newbury Park!

Space Ghost
    I can tell you that I was ready to buy the X1, because even at retail I thought it was a "good" deal. That being said, I went to my LBS, who is one of the higher volume Giant dealers in the SE US. I am a long time customer and the discount they were offering on the X1 was VERY minimal. However, when I mentioned the X0, I was offered an exceptional deal. I think the X1, X2's will be the bread and butter and there won't be much wiggle on those bikes. The X0 has more mark-up and more room for movement. I am not willing to say what I paid, but it may be worth it to try to negotiate on the more expensive bike. I know it may not seem worth it on paper, but to me the upgrades are worth more than what I paid for them. Good luck.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417 View Post
    I can tell you that I was ready to buy the X1, because even at retail I thought it was a "good" deal. That being said, I went to my LBS, who is one of the higher volume Giant dealers in the SE US. I am a long time customer and the discount they were offering on the X1 was VERY minimal. However, when I mentioned the X0, I was offered an exceptional deal. I think the X1, X2's will be the bread and butter and there won't be much wiggle on those bikes. The X0 has more mark-up and more room for movement. I am not willing to say what I paid, but it may be worth it to try to negotiate on the more expensive bike. I know it may not seem worth it on paper, but to me the upgrades are worth more than what I paid for them. Good luck.
    Thank you for this info! I have heard there is more wiggle room on the X0. I am just trying to convince myself if I am even worthy of a $2700 bike...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    OK guys I need help! Actually according to friends a lot of help but thats another matter.

Now I have been ridding a hard tail for ten years and its time for a full suspension bike. I have been visiting my local Giant store and have narrowed my choice down to two, the Anthem 29er X 1 (2013) and the Trance 29er X 1 (clearly 2013). I just can't make up my mind. I am not a very skilled rider yet and I am fairly sure most of my riding is going to be XC over the South Downs in Sussex UK which would seem to suggest the Anthem. However, I want to try some more technical riding as well around some of the woodland areas and that suggests the Trance.

So my question is if I go for the Trance will I lose out on XC performance and if I go for the Anthem am I going to miss out on the fun of narrow twisty trails?

There is probably no easy answer here but clearly there are a lot of folks on these forums with a great deal of experience, so any suggestions really welcome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have a 2011 Anthem x 29er 1 and it can handle rooty, rocky , semi-steep, x-country single track quite well...probably better than most 100mm 29ers due to the Maestro suspension. And it climbs really well. The Trance X 29er wont be quite as fast on the flats and probably won't climb as fast either, but will be most likely be fast enough and of course, it will be a lot more comfortable in the rougher stuff.

I would think that you would want to buy the bike for the type of the riding that you will be doing the majority of the time. They are each quite sufficent in the areas that are not their strength, but will shine in the area of their intended purpose. Having both down the road, of course, would be the ultimate way to go. I have a RIP Nine for more tail oriented riding, which is simiar to the Trance in many ways. It is really nice to have both a fast 100mm x-country bike and a 120mm or 140mm trail bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    anyone know how much just the frame costs?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    nevermind just found it

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417 View Post
    Oddly enough, one of my LBS has offered a larger % discount on the X1 than the X0. ($250 off the 0, $175 off the 1). The other one I've talked to wants full MSRP.