mtbr member

Trance X29 SeatPost Question

I got my Trance X29 0 a few months ago and haven't ridden it near as much as I'd like. But I was in the garage the other day setting my cross bike up tubeless and hopped on my Trance to ride it around the apartment complex... I haven't touched it in about a month and the seat height felt a little low to me so I raised it when I got back to my garage. I raised it up a little bit and sat back on the bike and checked the riding position and got it up to where it felt good again but the thing is, I am about a 1/4 in or so past the Minimum Insertion Line... and i'm worried if I ride like this it might cause damage to the frame.

My bike came with the Giant Contact Switch dropper post and for the four rides its been on I've dropped it once. It has worked great when I let my buddies try it out, no problems at all. So the thing I would like to ask for some help on is..

What other options do I have???

I have looked at the Fox DOSS and like it because from what I can tell Adam Craig used it or a prototype of it when developing the Trance X29. I looked in to it a little more and found that we ride the same frame size (Medium) and are close to the same height, depending on what source you look at... and with the Fox post on the prototype Trance X29 that he raced in some Super D races it looks like the Fox post has a longer over all length and allows for more adjustment height than the Giant Contact Switch.

Would I be better suited:
    1) Saving some weight and using a regular seatpost such as a Thompson Elite.
    2) Looking for a different dropper post like the Fox.
    3) Or riding the Contact Switch and crossing my fingers that it doesn't do damage to the frame of my bike.

My dogs are barkin
    Apr 2008
    If you ride a medium size and are showing a few mm above the minimum insert line, is the bike the right size? Also, I know Giant does those posts in two lengths, 375 & 400mm. If you have the 375mm length, maybe ask your dealer to swap out to a 400mm?

I would never trade my Switch for a static seatpost. having the ability to drop the saddle out of the way is a HUGE bonus, in my opinion.

Good luck!
    I know just enough to be dangerous
    --Me

SoCAL
    06/17/2009

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Earl View Post
    If you ride a medium size and are showing a few mm above the minimum insert line, is the bike the right size? Also, I know Giant does those posts in two lengths, 375 & 400mm. If you have the 375mm length, maybe ask your dealer to swap out to a 400mm?

I would never trade my Switch for a static seatpost. having the ability to drop the saddle out of the way is a HUGE bonus, in my opinion.

Good luck!
    Yes the bike is the right size. I compared the geo measurement from my previous bikes and the medium fit the best. Also my LBS recommended the medium over the large.

I didn't know there where different lengths. I'll look into it. I have a feeling that the med frames would have the 375mm. The 400mm would be perfect.

Thank you very much for that info. I'll be stopping my by dealer on the way home from work to ask them about it..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lando47 View Post
    Yes the bike is the right size. I compared the geo measurement from my previous bikes and the medium fit the best. Also my LBS recommended the medium over the large.

I didn't know there where different lengths. I'll look into it. I have a feeling that the med frames would have the 375mm. The 400mm would be perfect.

Thank you very much for that info. I'll be stopping my by dealer on the way home from work to ask them about it..
    I took the dropper off my large TX29-1 and replaced with a 400mm Easton EA70. I won't use it and have no interest in trying it. Also saved about 370 grams net. That sucker is heavy.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Last edited by MTBeing; 01-10-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

Your Best Friend
    Who cares what Adam Craig rides and how he has his bike set up. Your seat post is obviously not right, focus on that. Yes, you will (or could) damage your frame by not having the right amount of post in the frame. You need a longer post. You most likely should have the large Trance but that is the LBSs fault.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Who cares what Adam Craig rides and how he has his bike set up. Your seat post is obviously not right, focus on that. Yes, you will (or could) damage your frame by not having the right amount of post in the frame. You need a longer post. You most likely should have the large Trance but that is the LBSs fault.
    Yeah I wondered about that decision after I ordered the medium. Oh well, It feels good to me and will be even better once I get a longer seatpost.
    I was purely using Adam and his bike setup as a reference. That's it. I'm not interest in making my bike his. However, I thought it was interesting to see the similarities between the two bikes

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    I took the dropper off my large TX29-1 and replaced with a 400mm Easton EA70. I won't use it and have no interest in trying it.
    You crazy.

NTTAWWT.

mtbr member
    I had the exact same issue and replaced the stock dropper with a Rock Shox Reverb that was 435mm. I'm g2g now. Shop gave me full retail credit from trading in the old post. I will say that the reverb is much nicer than the contact dropper.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lando47 View Post
    Yeah I wondered about that decision after I ordered the medium. Oh well, It feels good to me and will be even better once I get a longer seatpost.
    I was purely using Adam and his bike setup as a reference. That's it. I'm not interest in making my bike his. However, I thought it was interesting to see the similarities between the two bikes
    I have a friend who had to swap out the post for a Reverb for the same reason. How tall are you, if you don't mind my asking?
    I'm 5'10" which is typically borderline for M/L and the medium feels fine, esp on the TX29.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    You crazy.

NTTAWWT.
    No, I'm old-er (42). I figure that if I'm going d/h fast enough that warrants me dropping the post to gain addl control, then I'm doing something I shouldn't be. I have kids and a career and just ride for fun.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    No, I'm old-er (42). I figure that if I'm going d/h fast enough that warrants me dropping the post to gain addl control, then I'm doing something I shouldn't be. I have kids and a career and just ride for fun.
    Yeah. Me too (well - not quite 42 but just a few months from it). Dropping the seat gains you sooooooo much additional control that you should do it just for your well-being.

Quit being a pvssy and drop the post and start hauling a$$. Quit using age and kids and stuff as an excuse. 'Cause you know what? Having fun is the *only* thing keeping you young. And you know what else? Hauling a$$ is all kinds of mad fun.