mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Trance X29 Noisy Cables

I thought this thread needs creating as I am sure I am not the only one with this issue.

I have a Trance X29er X0, love the bike! except for the noise that the internally routed cables generate. From what I can tell it appears that the cables are too long and they rest on the inside walls of the tubes and then rattle. I have so far tried to keep the cables from touching the tube walls by forcing them to run in a straight line between the openings. I have done this with some zip ties and a rubber frame protector. It is a less than ideal solution and I was wondering if anyone else has managed to solve the problem?

The interesting thing is I test rode an X1 and it did not exhibit the same problem.

mtbr member
    My TX29 0 has none of these problems. Something is wrong with your build. Get LBS to fix it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    pharcyde, could you please confirm for me on your X0 which cables go into the frame openings and on what side?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Rear Shift and Dropper post cable go from right hand side of bars to left side upper cable port on frame.
    Rear shift cable comes out at below drink bottle port on upside of down tube.
    Dropper comes out just before seat tube on top tube.

Front shift and rear brake cables go from left hand side of bars to right side upper cable port on frame.
    Both exit under BB.
    Front shift goes up to cable stop on seat tube.
    Rear brake cable goes into cable port on right side chain stay, exiting through cable port on inner side of chain stay then to caliper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks mate,

My rear brake line never goes into the tube it runs on the underside of the bottom tube.

Do you know in what state of dis assembly the bike arrives at the LBS? Im just wondering if the rear brake line is already run or whether it is installed by the LBS?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I believe they come without the rear brake line routed internally. The LBS would have to remove the line and then bleed the rear brake to route internally.

mtbr member
    Correct ... rear brake is routing externally from factory. Even from LBS pick up with external routing I still didnt have any cable noise.

But if your setup is wacky USA style brake levers on wrong side and cabling going the oppo way, you will have a sound. Cables seem to run quieter when they flow across the headtube from the lever to the oppo port.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Think it is a problem with your bike.

I have my cables internal with no issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for all the input. My dropper post goes from LHS to LHS frame port so I will move it to the RHS and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the help

Merry Christmas

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Internally routed cables are such a horrible idea...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Did this solve the issue? I picked my Trance the last week of December and the rattle is annoying. All other aspects are great!

mtbr member
    Possible noise issues have been identified as NOT always being cable related. Having had my rear triangle replaced recently, a squeak from the bottom bracket had developed. I couldnt for the life of me work out why the cables, all of a sudden, were making this god awful noise. Upon closer inspection, the lower pivot behind the BB had not be tensioned correctly and the resulting squeak is exactly the same as the cable tap inside the down tube.

GET YOUR PIVOTS CHECKED REGULARLY TX29 Owners !!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hello,

I found that I have two noises the first was cable and the second currently of unknown origin. The cable 1 I fixed by moving the seat dropper control to the RHS of the bars and cable tieing the rear brake cable to the dropper and front mech cable about level with the headset. they were knocking together causing some noise.

The bike is currently at the LBS (different to the one where I purchased it from, but that's a long story), for the second noise. I will get them to look at the pivots and possibly the BB. Does anyone have the recommended torque specs for the pivot bolts yet?

Thanks

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by pharcyde View Post
    Possible noise issues have been identified as NOT always being cable related. Having had my rear triangle replaced recently, a squeak from the bottom bracket had developed. I couldnt for the life of me work out why the cables, all of a sudden, were making this god awful noise. Upon closer inspection, the lower pivot behind the BB had not be tensioned correctly and the resulting squeak is exactly the same as the cable tap inside the down tube.

GET YOUR PIVOTS CHECKED REGULARLY TX29 Owners !!!!!
    New rear triangle? Crash damage?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm silent. Try backing out the cage bolts and cable clip bolts all the way and re-install.

Im on an xl, if cable lenght is the culprit then that might explain the smaller frames having issues.
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

Your Best Friend
    The XL Trance X29ers actually route the cables differently than all the other sizes so they aren't good examples. The XL has it's own dropper cable routing port in the top tube. All other sizes, the dropper shares the forward port with the FD cable.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Interesting
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Time for an update!

I have managed so sort the cable noises out by switching the seat dropper remote to the RH side of the bars. I have also cable tied the three cables that run past the headtube on the LH side together. I still have an annoying click noise coming from somewhere in the bike. Everything has been greased both by me and the LBS and we think that may have fixed it. Queensland is being hammered by rain and tornados at the moment, so my test riding is not going well this weekend.

DFMBA.org

Me too...possible fix

I have the same issue (although I removed the d/p) with a shifter cable running down each side. It's pretty distracting in what otherwise would be a quiet bike, solid-feeling bike and Giant should remedy this moving forward. In the interim, I have wrapped the cable where it enters the frame with two layers of electrical tape. I haven't ridden with this 'fix' yet but giving the cables a shake dampened the noise substantially. We'll see.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    :bump:

I've been having some noise issues which I assumed were the internally routed cables, I've tried to secure them tight to where they wouldn't move inside the frame and to no avail. however Im thinking my noise might actually be from the head tube. While i'm riding my noise happens 95% of the time while I peddle, not by just bumpy roads. If I put a lot of force against the bars pushing or pulling I don't get the sound at all. Now I haven't assembled a bike in many many years but i'm guessing there is a bearing with some bit of preload in the headtube? do I just need to pull the stem and tighten it or???
    I'm just at work going to tear into it tonight - was hoping for a head start - thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Randeez,

I have found that I had three noises. One from the seat post into the frame, fixed my grease and taping over the slot at the back of the seat tube. This noise was a slight tick, and I believe is caused by dirt entering the seat tube.

The second noise comes from the cable rattling in the top tube, I fixed this with cable ties and tape attached to the cables where they enter the tube near the bars.

The third noise (this sounds like yours) was from the steerer crown on the forks. It makes a clicking noise when riding, no matter the surface. After two bike shops could not locate the cause of this noise, I pulled the fork out and (gently) clamped the steerer in a vice. Then by pushing the lowers forwards and back, left and right the forks made the clicking noise. My SCU has now been replaced under warranty twice due to this issue. I am hoping this time it is fixed.

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks Rogue, It was even simpler then I had assumed - however there's not a whole lot to tighten. I pulled the stem and all the spacers, top seal (not sure if correct name but that's what I would call it) and a the compression ring (identified from pics). the compression ring looked to have a notch/wear mark on it and the whole assembly didn't have much grease on it. threw it all back together but didn't get a chance to get out for a ride so i'm hoping that tick will be gone