Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trance X2 Suspension help!?

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  mtblucas 
#1 ·
So, I have a 2010 Trance X2. I have been playing around with the suspension but can't seem to get it feeling the way I like. It feels very harsh over smaller bumps at high speed. I have lowered the pressure slightly below what is recommended and adjusted the rebound as slow as it will go (it feels much worse with faster rebound). Does anyone have any suggestions?

This is my first full suspension bike and was expecting it to be much more plush. It feels fine when traveling at a slower speed and while seated. Additionally it feels great when landing small drops. I just wish it would be smoother while traveling faster on the descents over small/loose rocks. Is it possible to get it feeling a little more plush?

Thanks for any suggestions, I appreciate it very much!

Matt

#2 ·
Since you sound new to FS maybe you just don't know what you should expect from your machine.
Remember, going downhill, your weight shifts forward, so less weight on the rear makes it more likely to bounce over bumps.
Standing on a decent further decreases pressure on the rear.
Braking during a decent shifts weight forward even more.
Braking also adds a force to the rear shock so that it squats a little, and makes the shock a little stiffer.

Also, if your rebound is too high, you will be hitting bumps with your shock further into its travel, and therefore stiffer. You don't want violent spring back, but you don't want it packing up either.

#3 ·
Steve,

Thanks for the info. You are right, I have no bike to compare this one to so I don't really know what to expect from the suspension. Everything you said does make perfect sense. It sounds like this is just an inherent quality of a full sus bike, which is fine. I just wanted to make sure that this is typical and there isn't something wrong with the shock or anything like that. Still love the bike and feel better knowing that it is performing properly. Thanks!

#4 ·
What do you weigh? Heavier dudes like myself have a hard time finding a good middleground on Trance X settings.

I gave up and sent my RP23 to PUSH and couldn't be happier. Got the big hit kit for the heavy duty hits, but the shock handles the high speed chunder much better than stock. One thing I notice is you really have to use the pro pedal lever more doing climbs as the shock becomes stiction-free...

#5 ·
I have the x3 with Float R shock and FR fork. I think the only difference is your ability to turn off propedal and lock out the fork.

Mine rides exactly as you describe... other bikes seem to be much more plush (never tried other bikes with fox fork). I have tried the 09 x4 with marzocchi fork and giant brand shock and I thought it was a more comfortable ride than my x3. That being said... the fox is more active and my bike is faster and climbs much better than any of my peers (including the x4).

I have tried every possible air and rebound adjustment and have settled on slightly higher pressure (fork especially) and higher rebound than recommended. I am 160# and run about 100 fork and 160-170 rear.

#6 ·
I am a heavier rider at 220lbs. I have tried all the different combinations as well.

Uncle Cliffy, you say you sent your shock to PUSH??? Who/what is that? I am definitely going to check out the big hit kit; it sounds like that may be what I need. Thanks for that suggestion.

#8 ·
mtblucas said:
I have lowered the pressure slightly below what is recommended and adjusted the rebound as slow as it will go (it feels much worse with faster rebound).
Did you set the pressure by your body weight or by sag? It sounds like you have too much pressure in the shock and are trying to compensate for it by totally opening up the rebound - which will mimic softness but be terrible for fast small bumps.

FWIW, I set mine at around 25% sag (which is quite a bit below my body weight) and have my rebound set fairly fast - (3 clicks from closed) and it feels perfect for me.

#10 ·
Perhaps your tire pressure is too high?

Keep your weight on your pedals, not your bars.

Many people have the misconception that suspension is to give the rider a nice plush ride - coming from a hardtail you could fall into this category. The real purpose of suspension is to keep the tires in contact with the terrain as much as possible to facilitate traction in corners, during braking, and under power.

Go on to youtube and have a look at someone like Sam Hill ride - his head floats down the trail in a very smooth line and his arms and legs are absorbing the hits - his suspension is going crazy absorbing all the rocks and roots and keeping the tire on the ground as much as possible. He actively absorbs the hits, he does not hold on and let the suspension do all the work.

If you do think of suspension as a rider's cushion, try reprogramming the way you think about it and you will ride terrain differently: you do not go up and down on the bike - the bike goes up and down under you. Think of it like noise-cancelling headphones - the detect a sound wave and negate it with the opposite wave. That what you need to do.

#11 · (Edited)
Was/Am in the same situation as the OP. Just got my TX2 a few weeks ago and been messing with pressures. I weigh 175lbs (normally :) ) and estimate 180lbs or change riding weight. When I've loaded h20, camelbak etc, that's when I set the pressures. To the end, I end up with 175lbs on the RP2 and 65lbs on the 120R with 6 clicks out and 8 clicks out respectively to get to the recommended sag.

The rebound is more of a feel to me. On the trails, if I feel I get bounced around a lot after hitting bumps, I lower the rebound by 1 click at a time. Funny and stupid one time, I forgot I messed with the rebound up front and left it at 3 clicks out. The F120R packed at a high speed corner and I almost did a superman :)

P.S. My son's X3 with the R in the back wants less pressure for the same sag recommendation and plushness. He's 155lbs and the R is set to 135lbs. Maybe due to the medium tune of the platform, just a guess. Also, I believe the shocks and forks need time to loosen up to achieve optimum performance so with that I expect more adjustments.

Not sure if weight distribution, resulting to different overall leverage on the bike, would have anything to do with how much pressure goes on both ends. Logically it looks like it does but may not apply in the real world.

#12 ·
mtblucas said:
Brandon, I have the sag set around 30%. I weigh 220ish w/gear and am running about 195psi. I can't go any lower on the pressure because I would run the risk of bottoming out too often.
Well, there's your problem. The problem is the progressive nature of the air spring and your weight. It means that to keep sag around 30% you need a lot of air (and 195lbs sounds about right). What might help is switching the air canister on your shock to a high-volume canister. That will make the spring less progressive and will let you run the correct sag without making the end stroke too stiff. PUSH can make that change for you too.

FWIW - I'm 200 lbs, and run 180 in teh shock. I think I'm just on the edge of needing the HV shock.

#13 ·
epic said:
Well, there's your problem. The problem is the progressive nature of the air spring and your weight. It means that to keep sag around 30% you need a lot of air (and 195lbs sounds about right). What might help is switching the air canister on your shock to a high-volume canister. That will make the spring less progressive and will let you run the correct sag without making the end stroke too stiff. PUSH can make that change for you too.

FWIW - I'm 200 lbs, and run 180 in teh shock. I think I'm just on the edge of needing the HV shock.
True, but it sounds like the problem is not that the end stroke is stiff, but that the small bump compliance is lacking, or the beginning of the stroke. So, would a big can help?
I suppose the spring rate after the sag would be more linear which might help, but he might end up needing higher pressure to achieve the same big hit response, which would not help. Right?

#15 ·
The 2010 X2 has the Float RP2.

I have already spoken to PUSH Industries and they say their "big hit kit" was specifically designed for heavier riders on the Trance and Yeti 575 models; interesting. I think this is probably the route I'm gonna take. They seem confident that I will get the ride qualities that I seek. Anybody else besides Uncle Cliffy have "Pushed" shocks on their Trances? Are you satisfied with the retuned feel of the shock?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.