mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Trance X2 - Rear brake noise

Hey everyone.

Just got back from a ride. I recently bought a TX2. Its a great bike, and I am beginning to love it. But, the rear brake is making a horrible vibration/noise so bad that I cant hardly use it. I went down a pretty serious downhill today, and it was so bad I stopped using it, then the front started to fade pretty bad. NOT good lol. But I pretty much bailed off the bike to stop.

This is only my second serious ride on the bike, and thought I just had to break in the pads, but it seems like a different problem. I loosened the mount bolts, applied the brake hard, and tightened. It helped for the rest of the DH, but once I got to the parking lot it was back. Any solutions? I might take it back to the LBS where I got it and see if they can diagnose it.

Oh -and whats with the brake fade on these Hayes????? This is my first bike with Disc brakes, and my XT V's worked better. After half of this downhill, they faded so much i had to squeeze so frickin hard that they almost werent working. I started pulsing the brakes and it helped, but they still sucked lol. Anyone else have this problem??

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrmedic510
    Hey everyone.

Just got back from a ride. I recently bought a TX2. Its a great bike, and I am beginning to love it. But, the rear brake is making a horrible vibration/noise so bad that I cant hardly use it. I went down a pretty serious downhill today, and it was so bad I stopped using it, then the front started to fade pretty bad. NOT good lol. But I pretty much bailed off the bike to stop.

This is only my second serious ride on the bike, and thought I just had to break in the pads, but it seems like a different problem. I loosened the mount bolts, applied the brake hard, and tightened. It helped for the rest of the DH, but once I got to the parking lot it was back. Any solutions? I might take it back to the LBS where I got it and see if they can diagnose it.

Oh -and whats with the brake fade on these Hayes????? This is my first bike with Disc brakes, and my XT V's worked better. After half of this downhill, they faded so much i had to squeeze so frickin hard that they almost werent working. I started pulsing the brakes and it helped, but they still sucked lol. Anyone else have this problem??
    Aer the pads bedded in? Takes a couple of long downhill rides before they develop much power. No oil/silicon spray or such like on the rotor? If the pads are contaminated they'll need to be replaced.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I havn't touched the pads or the rotors. I would think they are bed in by now. I rode about 2 hours XC the first ride, and about 3 hours around town, then the ride today. Maybe they do need more time. There is significant "wear" on the rotors, that look like they are good to go. They also bite great cold, but they faded quick today.

May contain nuts
    XC rides may not cut it. Some folk rub mud on the rotors to speed the process although I've never tried it... (plenty of big hills around here). How heavy are you? You may just need bigger rotors...

mtbr member
    I can now really tell the difference on my Trance X2 after about 20 hours of riding.
    Give it some time first.

mtbr member
    There should be a stronger bite with more power when cold and a slight fade when hot which will be noticable but shouldn't leave you with no power so you probably need to beak it in more, the vibration/noise is a problem with these brakes, it has mostly gone away on mine now but sanding the pads or getting a set of semi metalic pads may help if what you were describing was a boiling sound/feel.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I Have GIANT ALLIANCE 1 with Juicy 3 and have the same GREAT problen with rear disc/brake. I`ve tryed evrithing but none of the things that i can do worked. The pads now has more than 10 hours of rough usage and still vibrating BAAAAADDDDD. Vibrates so bad that when you release the lever brake it "sings" like an electronic guitar. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    my rear brake on my X1 is also making noise. I only have about 5 hours of not so hard riding on it but the noise is crap. My front brake is fine though so I don't know what is up. My local bike shop has said pretty much the same thing that most of you guys have but I just don't think brakes are supposed to be this noisy. Not on a 2300.00 bike. I'll give a it another 10 hours or so but then I'm going back to the LBS to get them to do something about it. Besides that noise I love my X1. I look forward to riding it every day.
    I only responded to this lame thread because I wanted to increase my posts count.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cycle.tim
    my rear brake on my X1 is also making noise. I only have about 5 hours of not so hard riding on it but the noise is crap. My front brake is fine though so I don't know what is up. My local bike shop has said pretty much the same thing that most of you guys have but I just don't think brakes are supposed to be this noisy. Not on a 2300.00 bike. I'll give a it another 10 hours or so but then I'm going back to the LBS to get them to do something about it. Besides that noise I love my X1. I look forward to riding it every day.
    Did you try and clean it with isopropyl? When mine gets loud I just swab it with a couple alchohol wipes from the first aid kit. I get just the teeniest trace of dirt on the wipe, but the brakes go from hooting to silent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    **UPDATE**

Just got back from about a 1.5 HR ride. Had some good fire road DH and one singletrack DH. The brake (rear) was noisy at first, but after awhile it quieted down. The rear now makes a bit of noise/vibration but not like what it was. It does still sned crazy vibrations though the whole bike, but if I hold onto it for a second or so, it goes away. Its starting to grab a whole let better too!

I think I just didnt wear in the pads enough. I'll swab with alcohol and see if that cures it completely.

I must say, the more I ride this bike, the more I love it!! What a great machine!!