mtbr member
    May 2008

Trance X2 09 components?

I was planning to get an x2 in the next few months. I was inquiring about the 09 pricing today and my LBS said they should have it in the next couple weeks. They said they thought the increase might be about 15% but that Giant would prob skimp a bit on the 09 spec to save a couple bucks.

I looked at the Giant site just now and it looks as if they've already switched a bunch of stuff in the spec (tires are Mich's vs Kenda's, cranks are LX vs race face, brakes are shimano vs Hayes, etc). The MSRP is also not listed on the site now (was just a couple days ago). Could someone who owns one check out the spec and tell me how much they changed? What do you guys think? Is this spec change a downgrade? I'm not excited about the shimano stuff..

Oh, and no pedals now too (not that I wanted them)
    Last edited by MtnBikeNC; 07-03-2008 at 08:53 PM.

Giddy Up!
    Interesting... Rumor is the cost of production (raw materials) has increased which may well lead to either 1. An increase in RRP or 2. Same price with lower spec.. Shame that..

Either way... get on and 08 model.. then upgrade the components as they need replacing..
    Long term your not going to miss out. My $0.02..

CAAK
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnBikeNC
    I was planning to get an x2 in the next few months. I was inquiring about the 09 pricing today and my LBS said they should have it in the next couple weeks. They said they thought the increase might be about 15% but that Giant would prob skimp a bit on the 09 spec to save a couple bucks.

I looked at the Giant site just now and it looks as if they've already switched a bunch of stuff in the spec (tires are Mich's vs Kenda's, cranks are LX vs race face, brakes are shimano vs Hayes, etc). The MSRP is also not listed on the site now (was just a couple days ago). Could someone who owns one check out the spec and tell me how much they changed? What do you guys think? Is this spec change a downgrade? I'm not excited about the shimano stuff..

Oh, and no pedals now too (not that I wanted them)
    you probably looked at the giant international website and compared it to specs from reviews which use US, UK or AU specs.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]They’ve changed nothing I can see on your US site. It not so much a rumour about bike price increases as fact, nearly every manufacturer will have to put prices up unless they want to find cheaper components or absorb the cost themselves, Trek already put a lot of prices up for 08 by 15% and they may well have to do it again for 09 but Giant has the slight advantage of making its own frames in house.
    [/SIZE]

Slower But Faster
    I think the best thing about buying an '09 bike is that just about all the forks are going to be thru-axle, either 20mm or the new (dumb!) 15mm standard.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lockheed
    you probably looked at the giant international website and compared it to specs from reviews which use US, UK or AU specs.
    ignore my post! i'm a tard - it was the international site

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    What's dumb about the 15mm standard? If it's better than the current standard, which it definitely is, why the hate? Were you upset when the industry switched from square-taper bottom brackets to splined? How about when suspension forks became the standard for cross-country bikes?