mtbr member
    May 2008

New question here. Trance X1 or X0 ... a nice dilema to have

I've just demo'd the Trance X2 (It was supposed to be an X0 but the Giant rep let the LBS down).
    I did about 5 1/2 hours of muddy singletrack and rocky steps with some serious climbs Ö plus, Iíve got to admit, a bit of pushing up some of the steepest bits. The point is though, what a fantastic piece of kit. Maybe coming from XC Hardtail any full susser is going to feel great but the Trance X climbs superbly and soaks up the bumps on the way down with ease ... I only came off once!

My first dilemma was Trance X vs. Stumpjumper FSR and now my hearts set on the Trance X Ö but which one?

The X0 clearly has the better wheelset and three pro-pedal settings (is that really needed?) and adjustable bite point on the Avid 7's but, is it worth the £550 difference over the X1?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    honestly I would consider the brakes a downgrade from the x1 to x0. the strokers are lighter and have a way nicer feel then the j7's. (just sold my codes so i could pick up some strokers)

The upgrade in shock will be nice, but not amazing. The lighter components will be really nice, the stock reign x1 is 29lbs even, the x0 is something like 27 i think. the wheelset on the x0 is alot nicer, but the x1 is gonna hold up just fine, its strong and reasonably light.

I'd go with the x1

mtbr member
    +1 X1

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I've been comparing the three Xs

and I'd go with the X1.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Food for though. thanks.

What's the score with the Avids'? The Strokers on the demo squealed like mad for the first two hours... mind you, it was useful for warning hikers that I was on my way through, I could play tunes with the different tones that the front & rear discs made!
    Last edited by Smile, nowt's broken; 06-02-2008 at 04:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If you have the cash take the X0.
    The wheels make the difference but you get the Deus XC kit too.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    X1.

I guess I am a little bias though because I just bought one last week. As for the breaks, mine haven't made any noise at all. I am a heavy guy (230lbs), and when I turn sharp and hard the disc breaks don't even rub like they did on the various other bikes I test rode. I didn't like the Juicy 7's on the Stumpjumper Elite I tested either. To me the extra cash isn't worth it. Save that cash and use it for any add-ons you might want later (not that any are needed other than maybe the BB).

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    sounds like the strokers were set poorly. Very easy to setup correctly with no noise. J7's are some of the loudest squealers of any brake i've ever encountered, do everything right and theres still a 50% chance you'll have to reset them down the line

mtbr member
    same dilemna for me. It's about $1100 CAD difference between the 2 at my LBS.

RP23 vs RP2
    Deus vs Evolve
    Crossmax vs Laserdisc
    XT/XTR was LX/XT
    Juicy 7 vs Stroker.

The big ones for me are the wheels and shock.

I assume the TX0 is 2 pounds lighter as well.

For the money, they both look like complete steals....the TX1 even more so to me.

Too bad the TX0 looks better IMHO.

I would be ecstatic to own either one.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Someone will no doubt prove me wrong but, as I don't think you can upgrade to the same components for the price difference between the X1 & X0, it's looking more and more like the X0 will be the one for me.

Thanks for your input

Nb: Has anyone managed to get the wide WTB saddle swapped out at zero cost ... the standard one is awful?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    you will not be able to get a set of crossmax sx's, a new rp23, and deus cranks and the xt/xtr for the price it would cost to just buy the complete. However, save the wheels and shock, you're not gonna feel those advantages in anything but weight, so is it worth it to you to buy all that stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smile, nowt's broken

Nb: Has anyone managed to get the wide WTB saddle swapped out at zero cost ... the standard one is awful?
    [SIZE=2]Any decent bike shop will swap a saddle free of charge for a similarly priced saddle that they have in, if a bike shop doesnít do those kind of things I wouldnít go near them.

[SIZE=2]And yes Iíve found a shop in the UK thatíll swap about half the kit so long as it is around the same price.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Oh great your also in the UK, I wasn’t expecting that, the shop is Nirvana nr Dorking and they are the best shop I’ve ever been to although you ride the dark peak so I have a feeling that's useless for you.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    The strokers on my X1 are loud. They are good powerful brakes but I have had nothing but problems with them.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I get to travel around the UK a lot, so thanks & worth checking out. I'll also give my LBS the opportunity (it's always good to have a comparison).
    I guess this is old news to many of you but, I have seen some pretty good internet deals with plenty of free gear (10% of the bike value to spend on kit) although Iíd not get the service that the LBS offers.

Itís a quandary

Quack Attack
    XO. Updgrades from the X1 are worth it IMO, plus the silver anodized finish is sweet. I further upgraded my cranks, FD and shifters at purchase from LBS, and have since upgraded my bar and saddle. Awesome bike, now down to 26 pounds.
    2011 Ibis Mojo SL-R & 2008 Giant Trance X0

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just found them very noisy (worse than neon lycra for drawing attention!) ... what're the problems you experience with the Strokers?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Interesting ... I do agree, it looks great.

What upgrades did you opt for? As I said earlier, the saddle for my boney ass was awful and will have to go!

MS MSP & William42 rate the wheels (thanks for the posts), excuse my ignorance, do they make a big difference?

Quack Attack
    Quote Originally Posted by Smile, nowt's broken
    Interesting ... I do agree, it looks great.

What upgrades did you opt for? As I said earlier, the saddle for my boney ass was awful and will have to go!

MS MSP & William42 rate the wheels (thanks for the posts), excuse my ignorance, do they make a big difference?
    Cranks, shifters and FD upgraded to XTR. Bar is Easton Monkeylite 90 Carbon. Saddle is WTB Rocket ProV(yes, the DEVO saddle that came with it hurt after 15 minutes). I also have XT pedals.

Wouldn't change a thing on the bike now.

The ST wheelset is simply awesome. Light, fast rolling and tough. I've taken 3 foot drops on it without any problems at all.
    2011 Ibis Mojo SL-R & 2008 Giant Trance X0

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Nirvana gave me 10% off and swapped a lot of parts and if you donít want 10% off you can also have 10% of the bikes value in free stuff or upgrades.

Iíve got 2 sets of Strokerís now, both had ďturkey gobbleĒ to start with and the rear wheel somehow manages to move causing it to make god awful noises when you really power it. But this went away on my dads Trance X so Iím banking on the noises going away soon on my Trance too which is slowly happening. But Avidís are definitely worse and because the Strokerís are so good I wouldnít swap them for anything.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've ust taken a quick look at the picture thread & "dfioc"'s TX0 looks the business.

Thanks for all your help and for the Nirvana tip from EGF168 (pretty cool looking black TX by the way).

I think negotiations for an X0 are about to commence ... I suppose I'd better tell the missus! (I say tell, more like plead!)

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Thanks, good luck with the pleading.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i'm running an sgd ti fly on my glory. I don't sit down much or touch the seat, so i can't speak for the devo. The wheels on the trance x0 are nicer, but laserdisc trails are plenty strong and decently light, and the hubs they use shouldn't give you any real trouble.

either bike should be really fun. The x1 is a wayyy better deal for the money, but the x0 is definitely an upgrade, you just have diminishing returns