mtbr member
    May 2008

Trance X1 vs Reign X1 vs Reign 1

I am in the process of buying my first FS. I am tired of getting knocked around rock gardens and more technical terrain on my XTC. Looking for your opinion on my purchase.

Height: 6'5''
    Weight: 215
    Riding Style: aggressive
    Preferred Trail: more technical trails but still like speed, drops, and jumps
    Riding Location: The Smokey Mountains (Western North Carolina, Eastern Tennessee)
    Bike Usage: 80% trail, 20% commute

I would like to hear opinions on all the other Giant fans out there. These bikes are all about the same range (trance and reign $2400/ reign X1 $2600). In looking to compare bikes I would like you to please omitting the wheelsets because I am going to dress whatever bike I get with Mavic 729s w/ XT hubs.

Trance X1
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/1288/29374/

Reign 1
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/1285/29377/

Reign X1
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/1284/29380/

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]If your moving up from an XTC then get the Trance X1, the others would be overkill and it has the best kit of the 3.
    [/SIZE]

Flaccid Member
    Your weight and height are identical to mine. Forget about using a dirt bike for commuting. Do you use your motocrosser to go to the market to get groceries? Use the proper tool for the proper job.

Giant basically builds bikes to fill a price point niche. Some of the components you get will be junk, to reach that bargain price point. The only way to do it right is to build the bike yourself. Get yourself a bomber wheel set with FreeRide hubs with your weight, you'll need it, as well as 8" rotors, all the way around.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Drops and jumps you say?... Reign X.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Drops and jumps you say?... Reign X.
    [SIZE=2]What kind of drops and jumps?
    [/SIZE]

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobberz18
    I am in the process of buying my first FS. I am tired of getting knocked around rock gardens and more technical terrain on my XTC. Looking for your opinion on my purchase.

Height: 6'5''
    Weight: 215
    Riding Style: aggressive
    Preferred Trail: more technical trails but still like speed, drops, and jumps
    Riding Location: The Smokey Mountains (Western North Carolina, Eastern Tennessee)
    Bike Usage: 80% trail, 20% commute

I would like to hear opinions on all the other Giant fans out there. These bikes are all about the same range (trance and reign $2400/ reign X1 $2600). In looking to compare bikes I would like you to please omitting the wheelsets because I am going to dress whatever bike I get with Mavic 729s w/ XT hubs.

Trance X1
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/1288/29374/

Reign 1
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/1285/29377/

Reign X1
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/1284/29380/

I urge you to test ride any one of those bikes before purchasing.

At 6' 5" you're way larger than the range speced for their large bikes which usually only go up to 6' 0".

A large giant MIGHT fit you, but I doubt it.

I'm 6'3" and find the Large X1 just large enough, and I tend to like smaller bikes.

Also remember that Giant doesn't give a rats ass about real geometry charts. Their 20 inch frames are actually 19 inches. One of many reasons I'm turned off by Giant now, even though their bikes ride like a dream. A 19 inch frame isn't going to cut it for 6'5" esp when is doesn't have a lot of seat post adjustability room. With enough seat post for full extension on mine, I have 3 inches sticking up with it fully slammed, so not getting the lowest possible for DH.

At your size and weight I highly suggest looking at another brand. If money isn't an issue, Turner is known for making the best XL frames for larger riders.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I compared the geometry to that of my XTC and they are very similar. I would be getting the "XL" not the large. I have the XTC XL now without a problem. My inseam is 38 inches, have a longer torso.

Drops and jumps will all me less than 5 feet.

I do not have the money to do a build but recently started looking at the Iorn Horse MKIII and Kona Dawg Deluxe

Slower But Faster
    For drops of 5 feet or less, I'd recommend a Reign, splits the difference between the other two quite nicely and has the geometry relaxed enough to give you the stability desired when jumping off stuff.

mtbr member
    Before all the comments start flying thick and fast, from your intentions and what you are saying as well as your wheelset choice, I think the GTrance is out of the picture completely, especially with 5ft drops/ jumps etc etc.

Therefore the GR is your best bet, like you said you are a larger/ taller rider so the XL is another safe bet - you do not need turner!!!!, although that IS an option. But when you say things like
    Drops and jumps will all me less than 5 feet
    then I assume you will be doing things AROUND-ABOUT that kind of level and therefore the Trance is not even close to that catagory (although high level rideres DO use them for that) and the Reign was designed to be near that. Again, technically the GRX was designed to be 5ft dropper beast, but the Reign may be your best bet after coming from a HT.

Just my OP so take it with a pinch of salt, but take what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by [COLOR=red
    Hobberz18[/COLOR]]I compared the geometry to that of my XTC and they are very similar. I would be getting the "XL" not the large. I have the XTC XL now without a problem. My inseam is 38 inches, have a longer torso.

Drops and jumps will all me less than 5 feet.

I do not have the money to do a build but recently started looking at the Iorn Horse MKIII and Kona Dawg Deluxe