mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Trance x1 vs Reign 1

I was about to pick up a Trance x1 ($1800 out the door) at a LBS but one of the young teenage employee there said he would rather get the Reign 1 (same price) because both weighed about the same (less than 1 lb different) and the Reign has a much stronger frame, longer travel and wider tires so it do more than the trance x. I test ride the Reign and felt great, actually felt better than the trance x. My concern are if Reign is overkill on regular trail ride and if Regin will give me hard time going uphill. Anyone can help me to make the decision? I plan to go back in a few days to get either one.

Also, the LBS also carry Santa Cruz and Mojo; I can tell the beauty of Mojo and pretty much knew it is an expensive bike when I first saw it. But for Santa cruz, why they are so expensive? Similar spec with the Giant but cost a thousand more. What is the premium? Better frame design or material? Better name?

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure the difference in weight between the TX1 and the R1 is more than 2 pounds.

The R1 is burlier so it comes down to what kind of riding you do.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    $1800 for a Trance X1, WOW! Buy it and go have fun you wont regret it.

mtbr member
    Depends on where you're riding and how aggressive you are. If you like jumps, drops and the downhill then the reign is for you. Otherwise get the Trance if not.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Generally speaking, on the way up, you'll wish you were on the Trance, but on the way down you'll wish you were on the Reign.

If the trails you ride are mostly XC'ish, then the trance should be all you'll need. If you like to get a bit chunky now and then, and don't mind a bit more heft, the Reign fits the bill.

Just be honest with yourself. Even so, there will be times you'll wish you were on the other. The perfect MTB for all occasions just doesn't exist.

Sounds like you're getting a smokin' deal either way for either the Trance 1 or the Reign 1 for under $2K.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Had a Reign for a year, bought an Anthem a year ago...

and dialed it in like a mini-Reign, at under 28lbs. Couldn't be happier- you would be suprised what you can do with properly set , quality suspension, even if it is only 3.5". But, I do miss my Reign, but not on the way up (it was a 32lb bike). As others have said, be very honest with yourself about what you are going to do with your bike, MOST OF THE TIME, then buy the appropriate bike. As for Santa Cruz, don't get me started. Overpriced, poor customer service, and poor warranty and marginal quality control, it seems these days. Giant (and Trek for that matter), excellent, and big bang for the $. This is IMHO, and from personal experience with all 3 companies over the past 10 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    If you are a Clydesdale, get a Reign. The weight won't make much difference, and you'll feel better knowing you aren't stressing the frame to death like you would being a Bubba on a Trance. The Reign is solid... I ride with JeffJ and he goes a strapping 265-270. He's on a 2005 Reign that is the Timex of Giants, it keeps on ticking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I built my 08 reign up with some high end stuff and it weighs 27.5 with pedals. The build is nice with all race face dues stuff,sram x9,martas,crossmax st wheels,chunder 2.2 tubeless tires. Nothing stupid light but lighter components make a significant difference. When I first got the reign I stripped it down to the frame and with the rear shock and headset it weighed 6.4 in the med. size.

Tom

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    the 08 reign with the rear shock and headset is only 6.4 lbs? wow, it's super light for a 6" AM bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydog9991
    $1800 for a Trance X1, WOW! Buy it and go have fun you wont regret it.
    I second that, you can't beat that price....then again what type of riding are you doing or expecting to do?
    That should tell you what bike to get.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Hey, tom schooveld, if i can post a pic of a 27.5lb Anthem,

Quote Originally Posted by tom schoonveld
    I built my 08 reign up with some high end stuff and it weighs 27.5 with pedals. The build is nice with all race face dues stuff,sram x9,martas,crossmax st wheels,chunder 2.2 tubeless tires. Nothing stupid light but lighter components make a significant difference. When I first got the reign I stripped it down to the frame and with the rear shock and headset it weighed 6.4 in the med. size.

Tom
    (with low to medium grade components), you certainly could post a pic of your Reign of the same weight. We would like to see a picture.