mtbr member

Trance x1 stem options

I just bought a *new* '11 Trance x1 but have not had the chance to get it out on the trails yet as we are waiting for the damn snow to melt up here in the White Mountains. I've seen some posts where people have negative opinions about the 100mm stock stem in relation to it's downhill handling. Now, I realize this is a "trail bike" but I plan on doing mostly AM riding with some fast and tech downhill sections...but I also don't want to compromise it's climbing ability too much because I have to earn those downhills with long climbs and sections of more XC-type terrain.

My buddy who also has a Trance ('09) was a little shocked when I said I was thinking about a shorter stem pretty much right off the bat. He said "that is what makes it a trail bike. You are almost directly over the front axel with that set up". Obviously I am going to put some miles in before I buy a new stem and maybe I will end up like the 100 but I like to have options. Would going with something shorter (80-90mm) give me a good mix of climbing and dh performance? Sorry if these are dumb questions lol, I've been riding for years but never was too finicky about my set ups. Kind of a set and forget guy that never messed to much with things like stock stems etc. Since I have been reading this forum more I have realized that small tweaks in the cockpit can make life better or worse quite easily. Thanks for reading. Cheers.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

SoCal Rider
    Apr 2008
    I owned the '08 Trance X and swapped mine to an 80mm, even though I rode more cross country type trails. I believe it had a 100mm stock also, but I felt too much over the front wheel. IMO it gave me a bit more comfort and confidence on the bike. Still climbed great. Since you'll be doing more AM riding, confidence is super important

Like you said, get it out on the trails when you can and see how it feels. 20mm isn't much, and you wouldn't be sacrificing too much in the climbing dept. Either way, all personal preference and enjoy the bike!