mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Trance X1 or Anthem X1

Hello,

I'm in the market for a new bike.

I'm relatively new to mountain biking. I live in Eagle, CO and there are plenty of singletrack trails to ride here.

I have a 2002 Giant Ranier hardtail which I rode last season. I'm looking for something that is lighter with a full suspension.

My employer had a bike purchase deal with a local bike shop and I can buy a Giant at 10% over dealer cost.

I'm not really interested in racing, just riding the trails. I'm 45 years old, 5'9" 180 lbs.

I'm considering the Trance X1 and the Anthem X1.

Which would be a better fit for my situation?

Thanks!

Alan

mtbr member
    May 2008
    A lot would depend on what your trails are like and what you like to ride - ie long rides, long climbs or more varied aggressive terrain etc. That said, since your not looking to race, I would say the Trance X is a more versatile bike. It will pedal almost as efficient as the anthem but will be quite a bit better when descending and ridden in more aggressive terrain. I've ridden a Trance X for a couple of years now as my xc bike and while it pedals wonderfully on long rides and steep climbs, I am constantly surprised at how capable it is when pushed hard.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    It entirely depends on what kind of riding you want to do...I would pick the Trance X1 as its an all mountain and you'll definitely appreciate that extra 25mm of travel. With propedal you will only be ever so slower than the anthem on climbs which would only matter if you're a racer.

When I first got into biking, I got the Anthem X, realised I'm not really into climbing, long rides..etc so I sold it for a Reign X which I really enjoy for all mountain, down hill,single tracks and technical trails

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a 2011 Trance X2 with an upgraded fork (Fox 140mm FiT) and brakes (Avid Code R). Although I think the Trance X is a good bike you may want to consider the Anthem X 29er (I also own an Anthem X3 29er).

Although I have a number of bikes whenever I go riding I invariably pull out the Anthem X 29er, it has all the agility of an Anthem X and the obstacles clearing power of a 29er. The Anthem X has awesome powers of descent:

Giant Anthem X 29er - YouTube
    Last edited by mefistofeles; 04-10-2012 at 01:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My friend is a non-racer but rides very aggressively and likes to race his buddies 24/7 through tight, twisting, short up & down accelerations and long fast rough fireroads.
    First was a Reign. Great on downhills but too heavy for his uphill finish line sprints, ha.
    He settled on a 2011 Anthem X1 and put a 125mm fork from a 2011 Trance. Along with a carbon riser it is now a hybrid all-mountain xc bike: light, pedals great, has the slackened head angle and extra travel. But he would not buy one stock and ride as-is. Too steep, limited front travel, twitchy.

I'd go Trance in your shoes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm in the same boat right now. Good luck to you.

My dogs are barkin
    Apr 2008
    Trance X1 would be my choice. I'm in SoCal and if I only could have one bike, that would be it. The suspension platform pedals very nicely, the added inch of travel is a HUGE bonus in my opinion and, with the right build / upgrades, you can have it under 28lbs pretty easily.

Have fun!
    I know just enough to be dangerous
    --Me

SoCAL
    06/17/2009

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I faced exactly this recently. Got a great deal all lined up at my local Giant store on an ex demo Anthem X2 - like silly cheap. Probably could have taken it out of the store, put it on a forum or eBay and made money. I took it for a test ride and I was blown away. It really is an incredibly quick bike, constantly pepping to go faster. I liken it to a thoroughbred race horse - really pointy, twitchy, super stiff and climbed like a rat up a drain pipe. BUT, you have to be up for that. After 10 miles I was in tatters, and I'm not massively unfit. It's that style of ride.

Got back to the store and ordered a Trance X2 at full price (I'd hired one for a day in Moab so knew what to expect) and I'm delighted with my choice. More laid back, still responsive, more fun and still a better bike than I am a rider.

This is just my experience. The next guy will come along and say he loves the Anthem for all the reasons I rejected it, and I can totally see why. Giant have two absolute winners in the Anthem and the Trance IMO. You just need to decide which one is for you. Try before you buy and I think you'll know straightaway. That said, you sound like you're a pretty similar kind of rider to me, so if someone put a gun to my head and told me to choose for you I'd go for the Trance in this case.

Nice problem to have! Good luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thank you very much! I'm absorbing all this info. My friend had an anthem and said it was definitely quick, but bad a sore back at the end of the ride. Im only after a 29er at this point so I guess that rules the Trance out for now!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tundra_5.7 View Post
    Im only after a 29er at this point so I guess that rules the Trance out for now!
    ...though maybe not for much longer if rumours are to be believed