Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT M
    Brakes Shimano SLX M666, 180mm
    Brake Levers Shimano SLX M666
    Cassette Shimano HG81 11x36, 10-Speed
    Chain Shimano HG-74
    Crankset Shimano Deore XT, 24/32/42
    Bottom Bracket Shimano Press Fit
    Rims Giant P-XC2
    Hubs [F] Giant Tracker Sealed/CNC w/ 15mm Axle, [R] Giant Tracker Performance, 32h
    Spokes DT Swiss Competition
    Tires Schwalbe Nobby Nic, 26x2.25 TL Ready EVO Folding

(source: Trance X 1 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | International)
    ------------------------------------

Shifters Shimano Deore XT Dyna-Sys, Rapidfire
    Front Derailleur Shimano SLX
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT Dyna-Sys, Shadow, Top Normal
    Brakes Shimano Deore XT
    Brake Levers Shimano Deore XT
    Cassette Shimano SLX Dyna-Sys, 11x36, 10-Speed
    Chain Shimano HG74
    Crankset Shimano Deore XT Dyna-Sys, 24/32/42
    Bottom Bracket Shimano Press Fit
    Rims Shimano Deore XT
    Hubs Shimano Deore XT w/ 15mm Front Axle
    Spokes Shimano Deore XT
    Tires Kenda Nevegal, 120 tpi, 26x2.1 Folding

(source: Trance X 1 (2011) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | International)

Which would you guys go for if the 2011 model goes for around US$400 less? Not withstanding the 2012 colours being more attractive IMO...

Also, would I miss anything with either models since they don't come with the CTD knob in their fork/shock like the 2013s?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Interesting question, one that I recently pondered over myself. I was able to get the '11 or '12 model for the same price. But despite the '12 model having the next-gen XT parts, I went with the '11 as it's higher spec overall, i.e. XT wheels, RP23 shock. I also considered the look of the '11 to be better, as the mix of frame colour and red anodised parts was nicer than the '12 colours. I was even happier once I got the bike (2 days ago) to find that it's actually brushed aluminium and not 'anthracite' paint as the tech-specs suggest. So I'm not sure why you prefer the newer colours. I'm in the UK, maybe it's different for you ?

So if you don't mind having 775 generation XT parts instead of 785, then go for the '11. The only difference that I know of between the frames is that the '11 headset was called 'Overdrive' and for '12 it's become 'Overdrive2'. Both have a 1-1/2" lower bearing race, so not sure what the difference is.

Strangely, the UK '11 spec comes with an XT cassette, but the 'International' version you list above has an SLX cassette. Not that I'm complaining ! We pay more in the UK that in the US, so we deserve something a bit better

Needless to say, the bike looks gorgeous - I can't wait to ride it !

knobby noob
    Hi man... thanks for your insight. The colours for the bikes here should be the same as on the website and for you there I reckon. Maybe the online colour reproduction isn't that accurate. Personally I find the '12 colours to be more sinister-looking, hah.

Did not notice the cassette spec, hhm. Will make sure to examine next time I step into the store.

Do post some pictures here when you get your bike (if you haven't). Cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    OK - I can at least show you the bike. Bike arrived on Tuesday. Today I managed to swap all my existing bits over from the HT.

Got a couple of photos - sorry about poor lighting - it's quite dull here at the moment (and very cold !). Went out for a spin round the block. It feels very nice indeed. I love the PM rear caliper mount, the jumbo BB and Headset. Oh, and despite what I read, the rear tyre clearance is HUUUUGE. I'm running a Conti 2.4 and there's over a centimetre clearance all round. I've never seen that much rear clearance before. You'll notice that most of my existing parts match the frame's red anodising. I think it looks nice.

EDIT - Damn - I'm too 'new' to post photos, so I'll just need to post a few more times and then get some images put up here.

I'll certainly post some photos on the official Trance X 'post your photos' thread when I get some.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So, this is what it looked like out the box:

knobby noob
    Hey man... damn, that pic just about seals it for me. Thanks.

Time to make a trip to my LBS later... happy riding!

Owner Epic Biking
    Love that picture. Cool background and the red on the bike really pops!
    www.epicbiking.com
    Biked to the South Pole, check it out at:
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    2011 pros: stem not a proprietary part, tubeless XT wheeleset, XT M775 brakes are very strong.
    2012 pros: new SLX brakes, Nobby Nic 2.25 tires.
    The rest is about the same. I have a 2011 X1. I had the fork extended to 140 + skf seals and put a rear shock bearing. This bike is a good candidate for a 650B front wheel as the head angle is steep.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by trek551; 01-20-2013 at 06:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbeagle View Post
    Love that picture. Cool background and the red on the bike really pops!
    Thanks. Well, if you like red parts, you might like the custom build I finished yesterday: