mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Trance X1 2010 or 2011 size issues.

Hi all,

Looking for some help on sizing Giant Trance X1 (2011).

I spent an hour and a half at the store today, bashing around on a large X2 and a Medium X1, both 2011.

We bought my girlfriend a 2010 Trance X2 in medium this year, and it's definitely too small for me at almost 6' 2.

I'm just under 6' 2 and, as I say, the 2010 Trance feels too small instantly, but the 2011 in a medium feels like I may be able to 'get away with it', but not ideal. The large in 2011 does feel too big though. I feel stretched in the arms and the steering feels less nimble. I must have short arms or something.

The store swapped the stem on the large Trance for a 90mm to shorten up the cockpit, and that helped a little, but it still felt on the long side.

It seems I'm smack in the middle of sizes. I've been after a trance for ages and now that I'm ready to buy I'm a bit gutted that they don't fit well. This could of course also be down to having such a geometry change from my current Gary Fisher Sugar 3 and maybe the large is the correct size but I just need to get used to it?

I took loads of measurements of M & L 2011 trances and compared them to my Gary Fisher. The Fisher sites right between the two.

So, any of you guys over 6' and running medium Trances? Am I over analysing and should just go for the large with a shorter stem? Or are there other bikes in the same price range that I should consider?

Lastly, any ideas as to whether the large in the 2010 X1 would suit a shorter armed tall rider more so than the large in the 2011 model? Anyone have experience of riding both? I doubt I'm going to be able find a 2010 in a store to be able to try it now, so would have to mail order one blind.

Cheers for any responses.

mtbr member
    If I'm not mistaken, you would fit right in the middle of the height recommendation on the 2010 Large frame. I'm not sure how much it changed for the 2011. On the '10 models they have the recommended rider heights on the frame sizing sticker. Obviously, what the sticker says is irrelevant if you don't feel comfortable on it though. I had to play around with my 2010 XL to get it feeling right. It was a little big for me (6'4"). I got a zero offset seatpost and that took care of it.

Sounds like you found a good bike shop if they are willing to swap out stems before you buy. You say they switched out the stem on the large; did you get them to switch out the stem on the medium as well? That is probably what I would try. Sounds like a longer stem on the medium would make it feel right for you.

Good Luck

banned
    Sep 2010
    6'2" here , ride an xl . I cant see you on a med. Definitely go with a large .

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Cheers guys. Went to the store again today, they popped a 60mm stem on a large x2 for me to try. It was so much better, I reckon it may he the way to go.

No x1s due for 5 weeks though, so going to try a 2010 on Friday out of curiosity. If I can find a stockist, I may even try a specialized stump jumper to see if there's much difference in fit and feel.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    im 6"4 190lb on a 2010 x2 thing feels perfect.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm 6.1 and have a large with a Thomson layback. I need to get a shorter stem though. I'm still sitting a little far back.

@ 6.2 i can't see how on earth you could fit on a medium.

Sorry about the 2011 X1's. I bought 1 with 4 left in the US and after my buddy saw mine he ordered 1 when there were 2 left.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well, I managed to find what seems to be the last 2011 X1 in Eastern Australia.

I picked it up on Friday with a 60mm, 10 degree stem.

I hot the trails yesterday, man, this thing is like a rocket. It felt slower on the climbs than my old bike, but wasn't (if that makes sense in any way). I think it's just the geometry difference that makes me feel not as efficient when climbing, but I was up the hilltop in no time flat.

Twisty single track and flat out downhills are super quick. It's so nimble. Even though it's a little longer than my old bike, and about the same weight, it just seems so easy to throw it around.

I had the biggest grin on my face when I got home, not to mention brown trousers from a couple of hairy moments where the bike allowed me to go quicker than my skill level and I almost made intimate relations with a couple of trees.

Anyway, the sun is out, the temperature perfect, not a breath of wind but I'm stuck in my office now until Friday. Bummer.

Cheers.