Space Ghost

Trance X0 29er ride and build report

OK, here goes. Picked it up Thursday, and immediately weighed it. 28 lbs 14 oz. with the plastic pedals. It is a size large. I then put on my Time ATAC pedals and WTB Pure (the heavy one), changed to a more narrow carbon bar, put on some Ergons, swapped the stem to a 70mm, put on my carbon bottle cage, and gps mount. Rode it for 20 miles today, then came home, washed it, and set the wheels up tubeless. Weighed it again. 28 lbs. 14 oz. Was hoping for 28.5, but whatever. Before my ride report, I want to mention that these wheels set up tubeless with the Nobby Nics easier than ANY set of wheels and tires I have ever set up.
    A bit of background. I only did 20 miles. I do live in Fl. For those that know, I rode everything at Boyette (everything open). This is a mix of XC, technical singletrack (quick steep ups and downs with roots and rocks). I have owned more bikes than I would ever admit to in front of my wife! I have been exclusively riding 29ers for about 6 years. My last FS was a Jet9 set up with a 1x9. I sold the Jet as soon as I heard the TX29 was going to be available. My other ride is a SS Canfield Bros. Nimble 9, that I absolutely LOVE! It is the best handling bike I have ridden. So for the last month and a half, I have ridden SS HT exclusively.
    I had to put more narrow bars and a shorter stem to get comfortable. I took off from the parking lot and thought my sag was set up wrong. Too plush. Stopped to check. Exactly 25%. Started off again, and put it in Climb mode, much more snappy feel. There is a two mile ride out on double track to get to the trails. I then switched back to Trail mode on the fly and felt like it was set up right. I think the initial feeling of a FS bike had me thinking my set up was wrong. I could tell the stem was just a bit too short (will get an 80 on when it comes in). As soon as I pitched it into the first trail I knew I was going to like it. Very tight single track with lots of flow and curves. The bike handled great! I was worried that the front would be too light and wash out, but it never happened. I have run the Nobby Nics before and really like the way they hook up, but they are more tire than I usually run, unless I am up North. The things that stood out:
    XT brakes-Holy crap! were they awesome. Quiet, smooth, great feel.
    XT drivetrain-quick smooth shifts and QUIET.
    Suspension-butter smooth and plenty of it, ended up in Trail mode for everything.
    Geometry-great for all my needs, rear end felt nice and tucked.

Issues or concerns;
    Weight-not a big concern, however I will use this bike for endurance events and would like to lighten it up. I have a lighter wheel set to put on, but the dropper post does not appear to be able to be externally mounted in a clean way. Every time you remove it, you have to cut the cable to remove it from the internal route. I am assuming I could drop at least a pound by switching to my carbon post.
    Fit-I am still trying to dial in the cockpit. Again, not a big concern, but still a work in progress.

Best thing about this bike is the RIDE! I found myself intentionally taking the worst/roughest line and hitting everything in my way on purpose. Amazing what this bike can roll over. It is a very confidence inspiring bike. I usually tap my brakes before hitting a drop in, just to be sure my line is good. I didn't do that once today. I will be heading to a completely different park tomorrow (San Felasco) and will get 30-35 miles in hopefully. I will update this thread with more info. Here are some pics.

Stock

New cockpit

All changes made and tubeless

In its natural environment
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Great report. Agree 100% on everything. One thing I can add is from a "weekend punter" perspective is the gear ratios are spot on. I am a Lover of the Holy Granny gear but never needed it and couldnt believe how much i could pedal out of and over, using just the big 38t ring.

My Strava log is HERE

Space Ghost
    Agreed. I thought I would find it difficult to stay in the big ring and fan the rear der., but it was fine. My last couple trips to the mountains, showed me a 1x9 isn't going to work for me.

mtbr member
    I just picked up my TX 29 0 yesterday afternoon and aside from a ride in the parking lot of the bike shop for minor adjustments, I haven't had a chance to ride it yet but I plan to this afternoon at one park and a different park tomorrow. Can't wait to ride it I'm sure more tweeking will be done after those 2 rides.
    “Change is not a requirement because survival is not mandatory”

Space Ghost
    Well, thanks to a sinus infection, I was only able to do 25 miles today. The course was pretty sloppy. lots of rain lately. The majority of the trails were up and down with roots. It was a great test for the TX29. I couldn't be more impressed with the XT stuff. Even when the rotors were muddy, they were quiet. The drivetrain was easily up to the task of crappy conditions. There were many opportunities to test the suspension and geometry. All of which I felt the TX surpassed my expectations. I will say the most impressive thing was the comfort level of the bike. I was not feeling my best and I still felt very good after my ride. No back or neck pain. I was telling a buddy of mine, the bike isn't fast, it's just FUN! That being said, the obviously a faster rider would make the bike fast, but that ain't me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Bought a Trance X 29er 00 yesterday and after only 1 ride I'm in love. The difference b/ween this and the 0 is the X0 components on this instead of XT ( Both r great) and the 00 has carbon handlebars and stem. A touch over 28 pounds with pedals

mtbr member
    Coach, did you need any sealant to do the TL conversion? I did get supplied the TL valves, so can I just rip out the tubes and re-inflate?? Do i need rim tape??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trancex29er00 View Post
    Bought a Trance X 29er 00 yesterday and after only 1 ride I'm in love. The difference b/ween this and the 0 is the X0 components on this instead of XT ( Both r great) and the 00 has carbon handlebars and stem. A touch over 28 pounds with pedals
    Geebus, 28lbs with carbon bars and stem, for all that extra cash i would be pissed at that result.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pharcyde View Post
    Coach, did you need any sealant to do the TL conversion? I did get supplied the TL valves, so can I just rip out the tubes and re-inflate?? Do i need rim tape??
    The shop owner where I got my bike said all I needed was Stan's and valves to convert to TL but he said he doesn't know how well the Schwalbes will hold up with Stans in them. So for now I'm keeping it tubed and see how I like the Nobby Nics. If I do then I'll just leave them as is until I wear them out and then go TL with new and different tires. If not then when I will go TL when I switch out the tires.

mtbr member
    Never mind, the Schwalbe site has all the answer. NNs are TL ready and need sealant. P-TRX rims are solid outer wall so shouldnt need rim tape.

Tony your dealer should have supplied the TL valves that are supplied from Giant.

mtbr member
    Never mind, the Schwalbe site has all the answer. NNs are TL ready and need sealant. P-TRX rims are solid outer wall so shouldnt need rim tape.

Tony your dealer should have supplied the TL valves that are supplied from Giant.
    The TL valves are supposed to come with the bike? I'll have to give him a call.

Space Ghost
    The bike comes with the valves. The Nics set up so easily it was crazy. I have had my issues with other rim/tire combos. I used a combination of Stan's and Slime, but the Nics aired up without sealant. They are the first set up that I have had that hasn't lost a single pound of air. I pounded the heck out of them yesterday and were great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Geebus, 28lbs with carbon bars and stem, for all that extra cash i would be pissed at that result.
    No not pissed at all. It isn't a race bike like the Anthem. It's a powerhouse brute and built like it

mtbr member
    Thanks Coach, i might just get some sealant anyway.

mtbr member
    No not pissed at all. It isn't a race bike like the Anthem. It's a powerhouse brute and built like it
    yeah ok each to his own but surely the extra coin for the carbon bits and for it to only equal the same as the 0 in weight, is a bit stiff isnt it? Ive seen too many carbon bars go snap lately, to have any trust in them.

mtbr member
    Thanks Coach, i might just get some sealant anyway.
    They do need salant.

Space Ghost
    My TX just lost a pound. I don't need it anyway. I will put it on when I go to the mountains, but here it is really just dead weight. Also, I always run sealant when going tubeless no matter how well they seat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey, I was at Balm Boyette also on Saturday. Do you drive a gray pick-up truck ? I think I parked next to you. I saw the bike when we pulled in. I've ridden my X1 a few times, and every time I go I realize even more what a great bike it is. My skills don't live up to the bike, yet!

Have fun!
    Jeff
    '12 Giant Talon 2
    '13 Giant Trance X1 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If I remember correctly on my Trance 26er the Nobby Nics were tubeless ready, but I was warned about them having relatively soft sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    28lbs with pedals for a 29er TRAlL bike is very good. For the extra rigidity etc you expect a trail bike to weigh more than a XC all things being equal. Further, there's a nice bouyancy you get with this sort of weight.

Space Ghost
    I don't know about the 26er's, but these are my second set of Nics (had them on my Jet for trail rides), and I certainly wouldn't safe they were soft. My Racing Ralphs (non snakeskin) are pretty soft though.

mtbr member
    I don't know how the bike arrives at the shop and how much assembling or building the shop needs to do but on my X0 all the cables leading to the rear of the head tube is routed internally except the rear brake hose. Instead, it runs down the bottom of the down tube, under the BB, then back up a bit to be attached to the non-drive side chain stay. Upon closer inspection of the bike and frame I noticed that at the bottom side of the down tube near the BB there's an exit hole not being used with a plastic plug in it. Then on the non-drive side chain stay facing in there's another exit hole with a plug. I'm thinking maybe the rear brake hose could and should be routed internall also. How is it configured on your TX 29er?

BTW, I didn't think I would ever use the dropper seatpost but after using it a couple of times on long downhills I see their value. I love it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Tony - the rear brake cable comes mounted externally from the factory. Most shops probably won't change it unless you ask, and they might want to charge you for it since it's kind of a pain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post

BTW, I didn't think I would ever use the dropper seatpost but after using it a couple of times on long downhills I see their value. I love it.
    same here!