mtbr member
    Aug 2008

trance x VS reign

Anyone here had an experience with both?
    I rode a friend reign and really loved how active the rear was.
    What I didnít like was the feeling that the bike has too much travel for trail riding
    So I want to check now the trance X, but canít find anyone in my area that can give me a ride on his bike...
    So please tell me:
    Does the trance X have the same active suspension like the reign?
    How is it for trail riding? rock gardens?
    Some big drops?

Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Interesting no response. I know its over a year old thead, but had saem question as was looking for trance x for wife, stumbled on a killer deal on a reign but wife does not need that much suspension, although it is a small and shes on upper end of height, so maybe it would fit her ok.

fwiw I feel like my trance has too much travel for most of the trails I'm riding, like I bought too much bike, maybe should have gotten anthem and saved some weight.

Tactical Nightmare
    What are your riding? The types of trails, I mean? There was a mention of rock gardens and trail, but no other details in the OP. Give a little of an idea on the usage and you may get some other replies. Any climbing? Descents? Steeps? Roots, rocks, smooth and buff? That said, your comment on the Trance being too much bike may give us some insight, and if you think it is too much bike, then maybe it is too much bike. But without any other details, it is hard for an outsider to say.

I am curious on others thoughts though too.
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    Chachi, the thread is old. I was just pondering a reign I saw for $800 local ad for wife, but she doesn't need that much travel (weight/height) after me thinking about it.

RE: my comment on too much bike, I put a 140 Manitou Pro fork on my Trance x, and it is fantastic, but really I should have gotten 120 it would have been fine and given sharper geometry. I find I have yet to use the last 1.5" of travel but I have not played with the settings and pressure much as it works so well as-is. I don't think its over-pressured. I have only dropped off some low platforms and hit trees across trails, etc. It is my first 5" travel FS bike - how tall it is and the amount of travel seems overkill is what I'm saying, however I do like it : ~) Overkill isn't a bad thing.