mtbr member
    May 2008

Trance X - Tires

How many of you like the nevegals? I've ridden the new bike 3 times now and just ordered a hutchinson spider to replace the front. The kenda seems fine in back, but seems to totally suck in the loose sand that makes up every trail I ride. Obviously i expects some traction issues in sand - but these things wash out without any warning whatsoever at lower speeds than what my old spiders would just start to slide or push at. They seem like theyd be fine on hardpack or wet, but here in san diego where we won't see rain again till december everything seems to be coated in fluffy powder of varying depths, and the front just isn't cutting it.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Hmm, donít know, you donít tend to get many tires that excel in sand, perhaps something similar to mud tires like Hutchinson Toro or Bontrager Mud X might help. Kendaís Small Block 8 seem to be recommended for sandy/desert use. Iím going to be loosing at least the rear Nevegal for something faster like the SB8. But on hard pack the Nevegalís are recommended as some of the best griping all round trail tires there are.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member

2.3" Nevegal on Trance-X

I'm going to go with Nevegals next. Has anyone put a Nevegal 2.3 on the rear of a Trance X? Does it fit OK?

bi-winning
    I never really tried the nevegals, but i liked the spider.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by farmertan
    I'm going to go with Nevegals next. Has anyone put a Nevegal 2.3 on the rear of a Trance X? Does it fit OK?
    [SIZE=2]Yes it fits, but they’re heavy, slow and turn close forward mud clearance into abysmal so I’d personally leave the 2.1 that comes on the bike.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I never really tried the nevegals, but i liked the spider.
    I was pouring over the tire reviews for the nevegal over the weekend, seems a couple people agreed with me but most love the tire. It may just be that I had the pressure up higher than where this tire runs best at, but I'm still going back to the spider. Maybe it's not a better overall tire, but I'm used to it and it's worked really well for the riding I do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Craptasticycle
    I was pouring over the tire reviews for the nevegal over the weekend, seems a couple people agreed with me but most love the tire. It may just be that I had the pressure up higher than where this tire runs best at, but I'm still going back to the spider. Maybe it's not a better overall tire, but I'm used to it and it's worked really well for the riding I do.
    Tire pressure is very impotant. The best tire will not perform well if over or under inflated. It depends on your weight, riding style, suspension setup and rim width. The wider the rim the less air you need to run, the lighter you are the less air you need to run. If you run your suspension up softer then you might need a tad more air in your tires.

I believe a tad more air in the rear and between 25 - 35#. I run just a bit more than it takes to pinch flat.

Good luck-

Rob

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, if the tires are washing out without warning, often that's from too much pressure for the conditions.
    Nevs aren't my favorite tires but they can work pretty well in loose conditions.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]A magazine did a test a few years back and worked out that the average tires optimum speed-grip ratio is 28psi, but I run everything 30 front 40 on the back.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2008
    lol - maybe these tires just hurt my feelings, no wait it was my ass that they hurt

I set the pressure the same as what I've been using on the spiders for probably the last five years now, just under 40 psi (I'm probably 225 lbs with full camelback) and they do not seem to work well at that pressure. I could go down to 25 or 30, but they are already the highest rolling resistance tire of every one tested in that german bike magazine so I won't shed any tears about ditching the front and probably the back too.

Giddy Up!
    I am currently running the stock Michelin XCR AT folding 26x2.0", I have also run with some WTB Weirwolf 2.1 front and back. I am considering trying some 2.3 rubber. But am at a loss.

I am a BIG bloke, who rides XC mostly hard pack with some roots and rocks. I run with 40psi front and back and like that pressure (no pinch flats to date). If I go up to a 2.3, do I go front and back or 2.3 front with a 2.1 rear?

Any advice much appreciated. Am leaning towards Maxxis Ignitor's, Larsen TT's or Kenda's...

CAAK
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2][SIZE=2]I did my own review of the Ignitorís and Iíd put that on the front and something like a Larsen on the back: http://egf-blog.blogspot.com/2008/06/maxxis-ignitor-exception-235-tires.html

[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    advantages work pretty well for it, they're light weight, roll fast as hell (fastest rolling mtb tire i've ever encountered actually) and theres nothing you could do on a trance x that would seriously make them feel like they're not enough tire

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am running a 2.3 Nevegal up front and a 2.1 in the back and it has made for a big improvement in techy rock gardens.
    noooooo, not that JCOS!!