mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Trance X RP23 Boost Valve

Hi everyone

My bike is a 2010 Trance X with the stock RP23 Boostvalve shock

Is it normal for me to be running 220psi in the shock and still constantly blowing through, and bottoming out the travel?

I weigh about 127lbs +- or 57kg with xc gear and ride everything the trail offers.

Thanks for your input

KC Weekend Warrior
    I have an RP2 on my Trance and I am having the exact same issue - although I weigh 230 and have 275 PSI in the shock...
    '12 Giant Trance X1, Mavic Crossride Wheels, StansTubeless, SPD Pedals

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Same here but my trance comes with a float r only
    I am about 65kg but only have 125psi in the shock
    Are you sure you have 220psi?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yes I am sure. I started out with 120psi then moved up to 220 now.

Maybe since you guys feel it too, it has something to do with the suspension characteristic such that the shock will be very linear? I am not too sure

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What's your sag level with 220psi? Less than 10%?
    With 125psi, I am at about 25% sag

My float r doesnt provide much mid stroke support. Use all travel easily on a small drop(less than 3ft)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    What sort of riding are you doing? The shock must feel pretty harsh with that amount of psi in it. The maestro platform is designed to blow through quite a bit of its travel on the shock and then ramp up at the end (on everything but the small stuff).

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have the RP2 on my Anthem, with a similar issue. I finally took it back to my LBS to have them check it out and they thought that the damper was blown. My LBS sent the shock back to Fox, and they are rebuilding it. I'm not sure if they'll warrantee it or not, as I bought the bike in May 2012.

KC Weekend Warrior
    We need to get a Giant or Fox rep in on this conversation

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for all your replies

Currently there is about est 5-8% sag. Actually it is not that harsh to me although my buddies say so.

I ride xc/trail with jumps and drop and gaps. Maybe I should send my bike back to the shop for them to take a look?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If you are doing jumps and drops and gaps, it is normal for your shock to be behaving as you describe and i mention above. You should also be running about 25-33% sag. For uphills just flick your rp23 lever (set it for max compression), though the maestro suspension platiform is designed not to "bob", but this will also be dependandant on how you pedal your bike.

Set your shock up properly and you will be amazed at how much better the bike will ride and feel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    But actually it bottoms out about 2-3f drops.
    I doubt its normal since I have 220psi in the shocks and I weigh about 127. It is still amazingly "soft" at such high pressures

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i believe your shock is faulty

KC Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by cscsw View Post
    i believe your shock is faulty

I was thinking the same thing (with my shock) but I am new to the full suspension game and didn't wand to seem like a n00b. Should I call Fox or Giant?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by the.rebot View Post
    I was thinking the same thing (with my shock) but I am new to the full suspension game and didn't wand to seem like a n00b. Should I call Fox or Giant?
    If the bike is relatively new, bought within the past year or so and you're the first owner, you should call whoever you bought it from and have them deal with it under warranty. If it is older than that, then you should contact Fox directly.

KC Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by mudgirl View Post
    If the bike is relatively new, bought within the past year or so and you're the first owner, you should call whoever you bought it from and have them deal with it under warranty. If it is older than that, then you should contact Fox directly.
    Got it 2 months ago - I will take it to the LBS - thanks to all for the advice.

mtbr member
    I'm considering getting a Reign myself and I've come across other threads with the same RP23 bottom out problem. Which kind of got me concerned, since I really am considering the Reign 0. I then stumbled upon a thread courtesy of DGC, of how he did a really simple mod on his RP23 that fixed the problem. It's worth a good reading and the mod seems simple enough if you don't want to do the waiting game through warranty. And if it doesn't work out for you, then its also simple to unmod it.

http://forums.mtbr.com/turner/dw-5-s...st5513120.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I think Giant have custom tuned some of their Boost valve shocks . The TX is terribly soggy.I need an extra 15% air pressure just to get the same sag. I've got the exact tune HV sleeve RP23 shock on another two bikes and they behave like I would expect. both use 15% less air pressure. I bought a 2011 take off Rp23 for my 09 TX and it's terrible. Really soft and mushy , you can feel the extra effort to pedal.I tried a normal air sleeve on it but it was still really soggy. I had it serviced by Fox as I thought it was faulty. I complained went it came back feeling the same and they said it was normal and set up as per Giant's tune specs. I then tried a 2012 Tx's in the LBS. It too was soggy and needed 15% more air .pressure. Case closed.

My AX 29er rp23 was ok but I can squeeze out a touch more travel with a RT3.I've swapped to a low tune RT3 on both my TX and my Ax29er. They are much better than the giant tune RP23's. Current low tune RT3[ changing for 2013] is similar to a normal mid tune Rp23.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Low tune on trance?
    The leverage ratio is from 3.3 to 2.8
    You need a high tune according to rockshox spec

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Ignore the chart. it's very generic and probably only applies to low single pivot frames without a thrust link. i.e. very little anti squat and linear or possibly regessive leverage ratios.
    The Tx has good anti squat[ over 100%],quite progressive, and the RT3 low comp tune has loads more compression damping than stock low Tune boost valve shock. Remember the boost valve shock is very open tune till the end of it's travel so even mid tune RP23 boost valve shock will be more active than the low tune RT3.
    With the same size air can , the RT3 is much more linear. More comp damping at the start and mid stroke yet lets you squeeze out more travel.
    I've got over a dozen Rp23's and RT3's that I can play around with and low tune RT3 seems to deliver less bob , smoother midstroke with less comp spiking and more travel on all my bikes that have good anti squat.

If you have an old school design without antisquat and need extra comp tune to stop pedal bob then follow the Rock shox chart. You'll get more comp spiking on sharp edge hits though.

The stock TX shock is good on the DH but rubbish everywhere else.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 07-27-2012 at 01:35 PM.

mtbr member
    2011 Trance X3 here (Fox Float R) and I've got the same issue. 1/3 sag = bottom out on drops.

No complaints on the climbs with my Maestro. I haven't even missed a rear lockout. Damn thing is faster than my Litespeed on the ups.