mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Trance X Resale Value

Whats a fair asking price for a 2009 x3 for these scenarios:

1. Stock:____

2. Bought new in Q2 '10 and modded (X9 mech and shifters, 2.35 nevgals, hayes stroker trails, stylo gxp 3.3 cranks) new pads, new rear mech, new pg 970 cassette, new middle front ring (race face) oury grips.______

Thnaks guys,

PS: x3 came with fox float R fork and shock.
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

Your Best Friend
    Half of retail. At best.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Half of retail. At best.
    New retail/msrp?
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Quote Originally Posted by LordDRIFT View Post
    New retail/msrp?
    Half of the original retail price. At best.

Most buyers don't care about "upgrades" or "mods." Even if you did spend hundreds upgrading the shifters, your grips, tires, etc., that doesn't increase the value of the bike on the used market. I sell a ton of used bikes, probably ~30 over the last 10 years, and on average the 1/2 of retail (usually 10% below that) is what they sell for in excellent shape. That's why I'll often remove my $200 Ti/carbon saddles, thomson posts/stems, and other high-ticket items before I list my bike for sale, as they're worth alot of money, but won't raise your final sale price a single penny in the end.

For instance, I've got a large 2012 Trance X frameset I got new in July, in immacualte shape, worth $1600 retail, and no one has bit on it for the $1000 I'm asking. It's just the way things go with used bikes.

mtbr member
    Nice parts might make it more saleable, but value not so much. I'll sniff at a well equipped used bike but if it's base...no so much.

Also depends on the market. Used 26 trail bikes are pretty easy to find around here so values are awful. I wouldn't even consider selling my X4 for the bloodbath I'd take, I'll just keep it for me. Fatbikes for example are tough to find in some sizes so used prices are up. And so on.
    I've seen one or two year old Fuex EX8's with nice parts sell for 1k.
    Current roster:
    2013 Trance X1 29er
    2013 Mukluk 3
    Banshee Paradox V1
    2011 Defy 1

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by extremedave View Post

I wouldn't even consider selling my X4 for the bloodbath I'd take, I'll just keep it for me.
    It really is sad I have a 2012 Trance x I tried to sell for $1200. Got a bunch of lowball offers. Fox front/rear and all slx with hayes brakes. Decided I will keep this one around for a loooooooong time. Can't really afford the anthemx29 like I want with school and all but im getting a cheap ss29 to have that "extra" bike for when I don't feel like riding the trance. I have never not enjoyed riding the trance though. All smiles everytime I mount up! Its funny I'm pretty much the last 26er rider in all of our group rides.

SoCal Rider
    Apr 2008
    I sold my 2008 Trance X2 (SLX Drivetrain, Elixir CR brakes, same Cassette and Fork/Shock on your bike) for $1200 last year. Just enough to pay for my XT/XTR equipped hardtail 29er. Then I got hooked up with a friend's used Anthem X 29er frame to swap the parts to

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Can get more for your "near new" used Trances in Colorado, for sure. Esp. the 2010 X2. Riders seem to be partial to this one.