mtbr member

Trance X Rear Shock Upgrade

I'm thinking of buying a Trance X3 which comes with the Fox Float R rear shock. I'd like a better rear shock but it's an oddball size and has to be ordered through Giant/through Fox. Has anyone upgraded their Trance X shock? I was mainly wondering how long it takes to get one and how much it cost them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    the OE float R is not a "bad" shock by any stretch of the imagination, it just has less external adjustments over the other options.

while yes, the oddball size shock is spec'ed, it is well worth sending off to a suspension expert, but if you just have to replace it, any of the more commonly sized 7.5X2.0 shocks also fit with zero issues. and also, unless it's a CCDB or RC4 (both of which have externally adjustable high/low compression and rebound), the new shock will still need sent off to be internally adjusted for optimum performance for your specific model.

haha, all that being said, just adjusting your rebound and compression settings for the sake of adjusting it, without *really* knowing what kind of feel/feedback you're looking to accomplish, can and often does do more harm than good..

just my $.02, along with the usual discalimer that i'm a set it and forget it/ride it til it breaks kinda guy...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedpaul
    the OE float R is not a "bad" shock by any stretch of the imagination, it just has less external adjustments over the other options.

while yes, the oddball size shock is spec'ed, it is well worth sending off to a suspension expert, but if you just have to replace it, any of the more commonly sized 7.5X2.0 shocks also fit with zero issues. and also, unless it's a CCDB or RC4 (both of which have externally adjustable high/low compression and rebound), the new shock will still need sent off to be internally adjusted for optimum performance for your specific model.

haha, all that being said, just adjusting your rebound and compression settings for the sake of adjusting it, without *really* knowing what kind of feel/feedback you're looking to accomplish, can and often does do more harm than good..

just my $.02, along with the usual discalimer that i'm a set it and forget it/ride it til it breaks kinda guy...
    geez.....i thought and may have mis read that the eye to eye length for the rear suspension for the TX is 7.25 x 1.75.....any thoughts guys? Would greatly appreciate info on the matter for my guidance. thanks.

mtbr member
    I have just upgraded my Trance X with this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FOX-SHOX-FLOAT-R...item3f03ec37cb

I can confirm that it is a genuine Fox item and a perfect fit. It was shipped within 7 days and is a significant upgrade over the Float R.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    There seems to be an influx of Trance sized '09 RP23s on ebay at the moment. I bought one from another chinese retailer, and it appears genuine or a very good copy. Where have they all come from?

mtbr member
    I was just thinking of ordering one myself. The 7.25x1.75 is what my 2010 Trance X takes and the only other way to get it is to have the Giant dealer special order it. (For about $400). I'm seeing them on Ebay for $175!
    "When God made me he must not have been paying much attention because I came out wrong...just plain wrong!"
    South Park

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've seen different threads about this topic before.....I think if you look into it you can buy a slightly different size shock and have it fit on your trance. I've also considered this upgrade before.....personally I'd rather get something that comes from an authorized Fox dealer that isn't the exact same size but is still compatible....atleast that way you know it will perform as advertised

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It seems an odd size to fake really, although there is probably a fair few people looking for them. I bought one from Huangbowei on ebay. Arrived within a week. It looks identical in every detail to the Float R I took off. Dimensions, typeface, colour etc. The manual and CD were also good. Being a podgy bugger I've put 210psi in it and it didn't explode. The twiddly dials also seem to do something.

I did wonder if they are falling out of the back of a giant assembly line, but then I forgot about that and thought I know have an uber bling upgrade. Anyway, it has already outlasted the manufacturer fitted reba poploc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm not sure I understand the different pro-pedal settings. I thought pro-pedal was a single setting on a shock that has the capability of being locked out or completely open as well??.....will the upgrade be most noticeable in the bikes climbing ability? I've been looking to make some upgrades to my bike and this is one of them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I bought a custom valved RP23 from Push for my '08 trance. $500 but well worth the money. Tracked noticeably better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have a 2010 Trance X4. no where near your X1 and X2s

I got a question though, With the weird sizing of the rear shock, what choices do we have for rear shock upgrade?? I know for sure the Fox RP23 and R fit perfectly as they are fitted in the X3 and X1 models for 2010. Any other brands/models?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Giant can special order you any fox rear shock you want. Rockshox makes an Ario and a Monarch shock in our size, (7.25x1.75). That's the only companies I've found that have this size shock. I have been told that PUSH sells them also. I found a bunch of them on Ebay. The Fox RP23 for $175! They're coming out of Taiwan though. They are supposed to be the real thing but I kind of worry about that. The giant dealer will hit you for about $400.
    "When God made me he must not have been paying much attention because I came out wrong...just plain wrong!"
    South Park

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgremlin
    Giant can special order you any fox rear shock you want. Rockshox makes an Ario and a Monarch shock in our size, (7.25x1.75). That's the only companies I've found that have this size shock. I have been told that PUSH sells them also. I found a bunch of them on Ebay. The Fox RP23 for $175! They're coming out of Taiwan though. They are supposed to be the real thing but I kind of worry about that. The giant dealer will hit you for about $400.

Thanks DGremlin!!! Will definitely check it out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'll be ordering a '11 Monarch RT3 this friday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I know this thread is old, but can somebody share his experience with Monarch RT3 on Trance X from first hand?
    I have 2009 Trance X and currently have Float RP2 on it, but I also got a very good deal for RT3 and I'm wondering how much gain would I get and feel with RT3 (besides ease of servicing it)...