mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Trance X Questions - Shock and Fork Content.

Hi

I'm curerently the owner of a Medium '05 Reign with Wotans on it - great bike but slightly too small and a bit slow on the ups.

I've seen a Large Trance X frame with no shock for sale at a good price.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone put a 7.5x.2.0 shock on a Trace X - does it fit? Does it work? (the frame ordinarily comes with a non-standard 7.25x1.75 Fox)

2. If that does work, what are the chances that I could get away with keeping the Wotans on the new frame? The new shock would up the BB height and so steepen the angles.

Could I create a 6" / 5.5" Trail bike or would it be frankensteins bike monster?

Ta, J xx

mtbr member
    I don't know about the shock.

The head angle is already pretty slack on the Trance X with a 120mm ~ 4.7" fork. A 160mm fork ~ 6.2 would slack the head angle out 1.5 degrees. I think the stock angle is 69.5, so you'd have a 68 degree head angle. That should be pretty similar to your Reign.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    the guys at my lbs *claim* to have put a DHX air, 7.5x2.0 on a trance x. they've also claimed a lot and i havent seen it.

it would make a 5.7 inch, 70 degree HTA bike with the stock fork.. maybe knock it back down to 68.5-69 with the wotan..

i guess that'd give you basically the same angles as stock, but oodles more travel. your bottom out point on the shock would be identical to stock, so really no clearance issues.

the bigger rear shock would raise your bb.. then the way bigger fork would raise it even more. you might end up with a super high bike.

aw fiddlestix
    I'm curious about this as well, what would happen if I put a 7.5" rear on a trance X with the standard 120mm fork? Would it work, how different would the bike feel? (I guess it'd fix the low BB height...haha)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've been curious with this as well, not for the reason of increasing travel, but that my X only has the Float R and a lockout would be nice. The 7.5 x 2 are easy to find but I beleive the Trance X is the only bike that uses the 7.25 x 1.75 which makes it difficult to find a reasonable priced replacement.

aw fiddlestix
    Quote Originally Posted by finny1999
    I've been curious with this as well, not for the reason of increasing travel, but that my X only has the Float R and a lockout would be nice. The 7.5 x 2 are easy to find but I beleive the Trance X is the only bike that uses the 7.25 x 1.75 which makes it difficult to find a reasonable priced replacement.
    That's my issue as well. I know I can order the right size through my LBS, but I could save $ on the internet (and get more travel...)
    Maybe I'll just borrow a 7.5" and see...
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by laxman2001
    That's my issue as well. I know I can order the right size through my LBS, but I could save $ on the internet (and get more travel...)
    Maybe I'll just borrow a 7.5" and see...
    Looking on ebay and noticed the Rush has a 7.5 x 1.75, I wonder if this would be a better option than the 2" stroke shock?????
    Last edited by finny1999; 06-14-2009 at 06:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just to hijack this thread a little...thinking of getting a trance x frame to replace a more heavier mongoose teocali super, but swapping all the kit onto it.

Is a 140mm Pike alright for the frame?

aw fiddlestix
    get the trance x!! But the current top of the line has a 100-140mm fork, so you should be fine with the Pike.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Bloke
    Just to hijack this thread a little...thinking of getting a trance x frame to replace a more heavier mongoose teocali super, but swapping all the kit onto it.

Is a 140mm Pike alright for the frame?
    I also switched from a Teocali to the Trance X. I love it. I found this thread actually thinking of putting a DHX 7.5 x 2 instead of the float R. I think I'll try it. I'll probably put a talas or pike on the front. This should be cool.

A crunchy treat
    Feb 2008
    So has anyone put a longer shock on their bike yet? Really interested to know what happens. I'm sure it'll change the positioning of the rear triangle and cause problems with the maestro system.

mtbr member
    Well, after talking to a guy at push industries, I decided to just leave the float on the back and put a Pike up front. I'm very happy and have no plans to change it now.

aw fiddlestix
    yeah I guess I didn't really think about that. I'm sure it'd mess up the maestro...
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)