mtbr member

Trance X - ProPedal Compression Tune Question

I bought my 2008 Trance X1 frame new from a dude on Craigslist. The rear shock is an Fox RP2 with the lowest rebound tune (shortest bar) and the highest compression tune (longest bar). The suspension is very firm when the shock lever is in ProPedal mode, likely a result of the high degree of compression tune. From pics of Trance-Xs I have seen, other Trance Xs appear to have RP2s with the middle compression tune (middle bar) and not the high compression tune (maybe my frame was originally ordered custom with the firmest compression tune). If you have an RP2 on your Trance-X, what compression tune do you have and how do you like it? Like I said, mine is very firm making it a very efficient climber but not that compliant over roots and rocks and such.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i think most trance x's should come with a medium compression tune. i am getting mine soon and will check for you

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Most Trance X riders only use propedal on the road and fire road climbs. On trails the bike works so damn good with the shock open there is no need for propedal.

Johny Sokko!
    Second, Formula 33's post

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    propedal is for putting around parking lots.. its really not even necessary for climbing fire roads unless you want to stand and mash up them for some reason. the bike will do everything better with the shock ran open.

mtbr member
    My RP2 has a middle compression tune. As stated, I use it on extended fireroad sections . . . sometimes.

mtbr member

Sounds like the middle compression tune is standard

Thanks all for your feedback. Agreed, the bike climbs very well with the propedal off - better than my racer-x did. I am most curious as to how the compression setting is spec'd on individual X's as I did not buy mine from a shop. Is the propedal option a "user" option, or do you simply get what you get - some firm; some middle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Might be a dumb question but how do you figure out what your RP2 is tuned to? Is there a label or marking on it identifying the tune settings?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Forged
    I bought my 2008 Trance X1 frame new from a dude on Craigslist. The rear shock is an Fox RP2 with the lowest rebound tune (shortest bar) and the highest compression tune (longest bar). The suspension is very firm when the shock lever is in ProPedal mode, likely a result of the high degree of compression tune. From pics of Trance-Xs I have seen, other Trance Xs appear to have RP2s with the middle compression tune (middle bar) and not the high compression tune (maybe my frame was originally ordered custom with the firmest compression tune). If you have an RP2 on your Trance-X, what compression tune do you have and how do you like it? Like I said, mine is very firm making it a very efficient climber but not that compliant over roots and rocks and such.
    RP2 = propedal on or off
    RP23 = propedal on or off (with 3 levels of propedal adjustment when on)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider
    Is there a label or marking on it identifying the tune settings?
    Yes. You may find it on the right side of the shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ahh thank you, I hadn't taken a close enough look at the shock...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    just checked and apparently it has a medium rebound tune and medium compression tune

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdc5r
    just checked and apparently it has a medium rebound tune and medium compression tune
    You're lucky
    Mine has med rebound tune and hard compression tune...

mtbr member
    Looks like the "stock" rebound and compression tune setting on Trance-X RP2s are all over the map...curious. I suppose this is good for prospective buyers to be aware of as it may allow them to order a new frame with the propedal settings most appropriate for their style of riding. As to how one would determine "what's best", I have no idea. Middle/Middle sounds reasonable. My high/low setting seems very efficient - maybe a good race oriented setting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Forged
    Looks like the "stock" rebound and compression tune setting on Trance-X RP2s are all over the map...curious. I suppose this is good for prospective buyers to be aware of as it may allow them to order a new frame with the propedal settings most appropriate for their style of riding. As to how one would determine "what's best", I have no idea. Middle/Middle sounds reasonable. My high/low setting seems very efficient - maybe a good race oriented setting.
    Could the shock's tune level be related to the frame size?

mtbr member
    Possibly...I am riding a small TX-1. This though occurred to me too, but my understanding is that the rear triangle, and shock mounts positions are standard throughout sizes such that the leverage ratios, etc remain consistent throughout the sizes as well. Perhaps Giant makes assumptions regarding the correlation between frame size and rider weight and specs the different frame sizes accordingly. If that were the case, I would expect the smaller sizes to have lower compression and rebound tunes than the larger frame sizes. As my small frame has the highest compression tune, the application of my theory appears to fail.

mtbr member
    ooops, made mistake there. I've got the same settings as Forged has. Sorry fellas, my bad..

mtbr member
    The settings do seem to be all over the place.

I have the mid compression tune, and the low rebound tune, on a medium frame.

If the Maestro suspension design is truly a dw_Link copy, then supposedly these frames would work best with the lower tune in both the rebound and compression.