Trance X Pics Thread...

Printable View

  • 08-26-2014
    C-man23
    1 Attachment(s)
    Brand new (to me) 2011 Trance X1. My first full suspension! Bought it for $1368 and have been loving the riding. Bike looked like it had never been rode when I got it.

    Attachment 918796

    So far:
    Swapped out the stem for a 60mm.

    Just bought:
    Bionicon C.Guide Eco- It is the new version so I am interested to see what all the hype is about.

    e13 Turbocharger Bash Guard

    I don't plan on doing anything else to it, unless something breaks.

    Only question is, I weigh 145 and have around 210psi in my rear shock...is that normal? I had it at 185 and it was bottoming out, and have yet to ride at 210.
  • 08-26-2014
    bloodpuddle
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by C-man23 View Post
    Only question is, I weigh 145 and have around 210psi in my rear shock...is that normal? I had it at 185 and it was bottoming out, and have yet to ride at 210.

    Great bike. Enjoy it.

    You must be hitting some seriously big drops. I have the same bike with the standard Fox RP23 rear shock, and have found that a psi figure close to my weight in pounds is about right. I'm about 210 and run my shock at 200psi, and while I use all the travel most rides it's very rare for me to bottom out.

    I would have though that at your weight, running 185psi would almost make it a hardtail, let alone 210psi!
  • 08-27-2014
    musikron
    Prolly need to include a shock rebuild into your screaming deal.
  • 08-27-2014
    C-man23
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bloodpuddle View Post

    You must be hitting some seriously big drops. I have the same bike with the standard Fox RP23 rear shock, and have found that a psi figure close to my weight in pounds is about right. I'm about 210 and run my shock at 200psi, and while I use all the travel most rides it's very rare for me to bottom out.

    I would have though that at your weight, running 185psi would almost make it a hardtail, let alone 210psi!

    That is the problem. The drops are 1-2 ft max and they are very rare. Musikron said what I was thinking was needed- a rebuild.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by musikron View Post
    Prolly need to include a shock rebuild into your screaming deal.

    Yeah, that is what I was expecting to hear. With it being my first FS, I didn't know what the signs were for a rebuild (super squishy=definite sign).

    Push'ed or Monarch....decisions

    Thanks for the help!
  • 08-27-2014
    Silentfoe
    Giant recommends matching your weight in the shock for the Trance. Your shock is blown if you need that much air.
  • 09-13-2014
    danposs86
    Just finished building my first full sus bike.

    Found this thread (inspiration aplenty!) so thought I would sign up and post a pic.

  • 09-13-2014
    hollar1211
    Trance X Pics Thread...
    Nice, I like the blue/green combo.
  • 09-15-2014
    danposs86
    Kinda of happened by accident. Parts came from my old bike which was green and black. But it works on this too. Few jobs and upgrades to do at some point.

    Need to replace the shock bushings first.
  • 09-15-2014
    hollar1211
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by danposs86 View Post
    Kinda of happened by accident. Parts came from my old bike which was green and black. But it works on this too. Few jobs and upgrades to do at some point.

    Need to replace the shock bushings first.

    I recently replaced all my suspension bushings and the shock eye needle bearing with a set from Real World Cycling. enduroforkseals.com.
  • 09-15-2014
    jdgang
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by C-man23 View Post
    That is the problem. The drops are 1-2 ft max and they are very rare. Musikron said what I was thinking was needed- a rebuild.



    Yeah, that is what I was expecting to hear. With it being my first FS, I didn't know what the signs were for a rebuild (super squishy=definite sign).

    Push'ed or Monarch....decisions

    Thanks for the help!

    I would def say a rebuild, i had the stock Float R on mine and would run it 10 psi less then my weight.
  • 09-15-2014
    danposs86
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hollar1211 View Post
    I recently replaced all my suspension bushings and the shock eye needle bearing with a set from Real World Cycling. enduroforkseals.com.

    I'm from the UK so will find someone closer to home that won't have a long wait for delivery, but I have been looking at them ones from a link earlier in this thread.
  • 09-15-2014
    danposs86
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hollar1211 View Post
    I recently replaced all my suspension bushings and the shock eye needle bearing with a set from Real World Cycling. enduroforkseals.com.

    Don't suppose you know what sizes you ordered? (Assuming your Trance is the same as mine)
  • 09-15-2014
    hollar1211
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by danposs86 View Post
    Don't suppose you know what sizes you ordered? (Assuming your Trance is the same as mine)

    sure, i have an '11 x3. needle eye bearing NBKRWC2185, $30.99

    trance "x" bearing kit, under giant bikes. $48.

    they have all the info under products.
  • 09-15-2014
    C-man23
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jdgang View Post
    I would def say a rebuild, i had the stock Float R on mine and would run it 10 psi less then my weight.

    Yeah, I sent it off to Push to get the rebuild and tune. They said my propedal was blown and to change my high volume to a normal volume. I get it back on Wednesday and can't wait to test it out.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hollar1211 View Post
    sure, i have an '11 x3. needle eye bearing NBKRWC2185, $30.99

    trance "x" bearing kit, under giant bikes. $48.

    they have all the info under products.

    How was the needle bearing upgrade for you? I cannot decide whether to do it or not...or if it is worth the $31? Thanks
  • 09-16-2014
    bloodpuddle
    Trance X Pics Thread...
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by C-man23 View Post
    How was the needle bearing upgrade for you? I cannot decide whether to do it or not...or if it is worth the $31? Thanks

    I have the needle bearing upgrade on mine.

    While others swear by it, I can't honestly say I noticed any difference.

    From my own experience, I would say get it done if the bushing is worn and needs replacing, but don't bother replacing a still-good bushing expecting a marked improvement.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 09-16-2014
    hollar1211
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by C-man23 View Post
    Yeah, I sent it off to Push to get the rebuild and tune. They said my propedal was blown and to change my high volume to a normal volume. I get it back on Wednesday and can't wait to test it out.



    How was the needle bearing upgrade for you? I cannot decide whether to do it or not...or if it is worth the $31? Thanks

    i replaced all my suspension bushings because i stripped the paint on my bike. i didn't remove the bushings first, so the paint stripper got into them. i figured while i had the bike apart replacing the suspension bushings, i might as well get the needle eye bearing as well. some times i think it feels smoother over small bumps, but then again, i'm no professional rider that can feel the true difference. i'd say as long as yours isn't sticking or giving you problems, i wouldn't worry about it. but then again it's only $30 and you can install it yourself in about 10 minutes. if you don't notice anything, turn around and sell it.
  • 12-02-2014
    Appalachian
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 01-04-2015
    Sqearl
    1 Attachment(s)
    New Ergo grips ! BLANG BLANG !
    Thanks santa !
  • 01-25-2015
    borbntm
    2 Attachment(s)
    Trance X Pics Thread
    2008 Trance X2, New Stan's Flow wheelset and pivot bearings.....Ready for another 5,500 miles! :thumbsup:
    Attachment 958626Attachment 958627
  • 02-28-2015
    Kejsaj
    Hi! i have Giant Trance 2009 and have one quick question to You! could i mount 190x50 Cane Creek DB Air? or barrel is to thick? and can't fit there?
  • 06-12-2015
    Biohazard74
    Bump for the good ole Trance X 26
  • 06-13-2015
    bloodpuddle
    Trance X Pics Thread...
    Taking mine (2011) out for a spin tomorrow. Can't wait! [emoji3]


    Autocorrect butts
  • 06-21-2015
    getsbe
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 06-21-2015
    swoodbrn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by getsbe View Post

    All hail the '09? Tx 26er. Looks like you've got a black and silver scheme going, nice. need to lose the white (yellow) walls, imo.
  • 07-16-2015
    getsbe
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1002453
    Bump :rolleyes:
  • 07-25-2015
    Biohazard74
    4 Attachment(s)
    just added a couple of things since last time i posted pics

    Hope 70 mm stem and the blue foam grips. I don't know about anyone else but the old Trance X blew my mind when it came out. I almost recently sold it. Very glad i didn't.
  • 08-30-2015
    pujetta
    hi Guys, i have an issue, my 2011 trance x standover height is too high compare to my other bike (XL size) anyone have same issue with me? (too high standover height?)
  • 09-02-2015
    syphen
    3 Attachment(s)
    Been riding a 2015 Talon 27.5 2 with a few mods. A deal popped up on a 2010 Trance X3 in decent shape. $900 CDN (~$680 US right now). Who cares that it's only a 3x9 and a 26! It sure got the job done today.
    Attachment 1012767Attachment 1012768Attachment 1012769

    Decided to pick it up, pumped up the tires, fork and shocks and hit the trail. It was my first time on a full suspension bike. It was fun. The Juicy 3 brakes are a let down compared to my M615's on the Talon but I figure I can upgrade those.

    What forks and shocks do guys usually throw on these? Not having the ability to lock out these ones kind of sucks.
  • 09-02-2015
    PhillipJ
    Rockshox Monarch RT3 assuming it's 184x44.
    Locking forks is for the lycra set :-)
  • 09-02-2015
    Biohazard74
    The stock Fox is actually not bad when you have it right. But yea i know what you mean. I sold the stock float and bought the RL. You can find a 2009-2010 Fox RL here and there cheap. And its an amazing fork imo
  • 09-04-2015
    syphen
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Biohazard74 View Post
    The stock Fox is actually not bad when you have it right. But yea i know what you mean. I sold the stock float and bought the RL. You can find a 2009-2010 Fox RL here and there cheap. And its an amazing fork imo

    I've been reading that it may very well be possible to change the lower cup to accommodate more modern tapered forks.. Anyone have an idea as to what parts I'd need?

    I've ordered M675 SLX brakes as the Avid Juicy 3's just do not have the bite I'm looking for.
  • 09-23-2015
    JoeHowe
    1 Attachment(s)
    2013 Trance X29 0
    Love my Trance, fits me better than any other bike I've owned. :thumbsup:

    Attachment 1017458

    STANS Flow EX Rims
    Maxxis 2.5" Minon DH
    1x9 XT / Raceface
    Chromag Seat and Bars
    Sam Hill Grips

    I will likely have it stripped down and powder coated this winter, color TBD. Trying to have the bottom u-link of the suspension replaced right now, broke last night :madmax: If anyone has advice there, let me know. The LBS is joke, I have to drive 2 hours to a decent one.
  • 10-07-2015
    borbntm
    1 Attachment(s)
    Trance X Pics Thread
    Attachment 1020761

    Newly installed 2016 Fox Factory 140mm fork.....Nice Upgrade, really diggin the new ride.
  • 10-07-2015
    Shane5001
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by syphen View Post
    I've been reading that it may very well be possible to change the lower cup to accommodate more modern tapered forks.. Anyone have an idea as to what parts I'd need?

    I've ordered M675 SLX brakes as the Avid Juicy 3's just do not have the bite I'm looking for.

    I have 2010 Trance x 2, been debating the same thing with headsets and found thisAttachment 1020947

    It's suppose to work with 44mm internal headtubes which is what ours is suppose to be. My concern is the "hourglass" shape of our headtubes and not knowing if there is enough room to press the cup in. Cane creek makes a similar headset but it requires a great amount of headtube space to press in, know way it will work with trance without modifying. I posted this in the other trance thread without response. I believe that my Trance was under traveled stock at 120mm, I upgraded to fox float 140 and it is the bee's knees. Maestro suspension doesn't really need lockout or pro-pedal. Your fork is great, locking out forks is pointless i.m.o., especially since they lock out in the tallest position, but different strokes for different folks.
  • 10-07-2015
    syphen
  • 10-08-2015
    Shane5001
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by syphen View Post

    That's it, but take a look at how much length of frame it needs to press in. I've heard of someone with an older giant reign that used it but had it machined down at a machine shop. There's also a picture on the net of someone who used it and just stopped pressing when it ran out of room, and rode it sticking out of the frame. I wouldn't do the latter option.
  • 10-08-2015
    Shane5001
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009ZG632O

    Found this as well, don't know if it's available or how much in U.S., but might be cheapest solution. Hope H cup. Chris King has one as well but even larger press in portion than cane creek. When my fork is due for service I plan on popping out my bottom cup and actually measuring press in room. Once that's solved all that will be left to consider is the thicker part of the fork steerer rubbing on the hour glass shaped headtube. Hopefully it tapers off quickly. Could try fork from my 29er just to see if it fits prior to buying.
  • 10-08-2015
    lakarz16
    What rear shocks model can fit our trance? And size?

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  • 10-08-2015
    syphen
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1021235

    Went 1x on the advice of the LBS. I hardly ever used the granny gear and have only used the 44t chain ring on city downhills.
    It's a MTB. I have a roadbike for city downhills! 1x it is!!
  • 10-10-2015
    randeez
    bored waiting on parts, doing a little updating - 2013 29er x2. I hadnt done much to it since i got it new two years ago-easton carbon riser bar, ritchey stem, ergon grips, brooks saddle. "learning" to ride again has taken its toll, its still a fun bike but factory setup needs to go
    xt 1x11 cassette/derailleur/chain/shifter, wolftooth 34t, xt m785 brakes on the way.



    going to route rear brake thru frame not sure if its going to come moto or not so i fished wire through both sides of frame. removed front derailleur cable and shifter. ive seen a few bikes, not necessarily trances with the rear derailleur cable ran in the triangle. there is a small hole on the frame there i dont think its large enough though, anyone tried?



    next bit of upgrades will include wheels(long over due) and new crank
  • 10-11-2015
    luism
    think that hole may be a moisture removal hole like under the crank. I think too small also


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by randeez View Post
    bored waiting on parts, doing a little updating - 2013 29er x2. I hadnt done much to it since i got it new two years ago-easton carbon riser bar, ritchey stem, ergon grips, brooks saddle. "learning" to ride again has taken its toll, its still a fun bike but factory setup needs to go
    xt 1x11 cassette/derailleur/chain/shifter, wolftooth 34t, xt m785 brakes on the way.



    going to route rear brake thru frame not sure if its going to come moto or not so i fished wire through both sides of frame. removed front derailleur cable and shifter. ive seen a few bikes, not necessarily trances with the rear derailleur cable ran in the triangle. there is a small hole on the frame there i dont think its large enough though, anyone tried?



    next bit of upgrades will include wheels(long over due) and new crank

  • 10-13-2015
    syphen
    3 Attachment(s)
    Some pics from today and how she'll likely go into storage:
    Attachment 1023851
    Attachment 1023852



    Changed to:
    SLX front and rear calipers
    Icetech Rotors front and rear
    XT 10 speed 11-36 Casette
    XT Shadow+ 10 Speed derailleur
    Wolftooth Giant Cog 40t
    Wolftooth 16t chainring.
    Goatlink
    KMC 10 speed gold EL chain.
    2016 Contact SL Switch 125mm Dropper post
    Mavic XM319's. Deore rear hub and Hope Pro 2 Evo front hub.
    Nobby Nic Evo tires tubeless.

    So far everything is working really well. The only thing that I may change is the rear hub but I'll run this till it breaks. For an old 26'er that's out of date in "standards", it really does run well on the trail.
  • 11-14-2015
    rsilvers
  • 12-07-2015
    syphen
    3 Attachment(s)
    Black Friday specials showed up..
    Attachment 1034284Attachment 1034285
    Raceface Chester 50mm stem 8 degree rise.
    Nukeproof Warhead 760mm wide, 10mm rise.

    Anyone else play with wide bars on their Trance X's? I'm wondering if its too wide. I was planning on hitting the trails later this week if the snow holds off.
  • 12-07-2015
    lucifuge
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by syphen View Post

    Anyone else play with wide bars on their Trance X's? I'm wondering if its too wide. I was planning on hitting the trails later this week if the snow holds off.

    if you take average distance of a few pushups that will dictate a neutral position for your handlebar widths. id been using 720's for ages, did the pushup test and i should be using 760! i changed over recently. as yet to fully test it tho

    ...naturally need to shorten stem too if you widen bars
  • 12-07-2015
    rsilvers
    Wow. Good idea.

    My 2013 Trance came with 740mm bars (29 inches). My old 1990s bike had 22 inch bars.

    I just did the pushup test, and that indicated 25.5 inches to the outside of my hands. Going by my hand position on the grips, that would imply 660mm would be ideal for me.

    Two days ago I ordered 640s. So I will see how that goes. Probably close enough.

  • 12-07-2015
    B888S
    I just picked up this '13 Trance X 26er last week. It is going to be my 14 year old son's combined Christmas and birthday present. Overall it is in very good condition. It is hiding at his grandparent's house right now. After he gets it, I am going to replace all of the shifter cables and throw a some new brake pads on it.

  • 12-08-2015
    Steel Calf
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by B888S View Post
    I just picked up this '13 Trance X 26er last week. It is going to be my 14 year old son's combined Christmas and birthday present. Overall it is in very good condition. It is hiding at his grandparent's house right now. After he gets it, I am going to replace all of the shifter cables and throw a some new brake pads on it.


    ^^^ Dad of the year
  • 12-08-2015
    syphen
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    ^^^ Dad of the year

    Seriously!

    I think he'll like it.
  • 05-12-2016
    syphen
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1069980
    '10 Trance X3 parked in a Sea of Trillium
  • 07-27-2016
    Bindegal
    1 Attachment(s)
    2014 Trance X 29er.
    Not much other than the frame is left original. :)
    Attachment 1084482
    Pike RCT3 fork, Fox DPS shock, Stans Flow v3 wheels amongst other changes.

    Ends up being a little weird hybrid bike. Itīll never win any speed contests but its fun to throw around the trails - which is all that really matters. :thumbsup:

    /Allan
  • 09-04-2016
    TakoKichi
    I have an older Trance X...2007...looking to update/upgrade components.
    Looking for wheels, drivetrain, brakes maybe a new fork or any other suggestions...trying to stay under a $1000 for the most I can get.
    Any ideas?
  • 09-04-2016
    tonyride1
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TakoKichi View Post
    I have an older Trance X...2007...looking to update/upgrade components.
    Looking for wheels, drivetrain, brakes maybe a new fork or any other suggestions...trying to stay under a $1000 for the most I can get.
    Any ideas?

    I had a 2008 Trance X0. I'm assuming it is pretty much the same as the 2007 so here it goes. The most noticeable difference/improvement was swapping out the stock wheels with the Mavic CrossMax wheelset. Another thing I did was getting rid of the big chainring and replacing it with a bash guard. I don't know how the trails are like where you are but where I am we have a lot of logs and rocks where a bash guard comes in handy. I never use the big chainring anyway. I usually stick with the middle ring and on the rare occasion the small. It had a 3x8 setup. I would also recommend getting a dropper seatpost but again, that will have to depend on the types of trails you ride. I don't know how your fork and rear shock are but a good tune or rebuild may help.
  • 09-04-2016
    syphen
    A new set wheel set will help. I did a set of Mavic XM319's on Hope hubs for my '10 Trace X. I went 1x10, but with the costs of 1x11 coming out now.. that is the route I'd go today. Grab a set of XT brakes and rotors then get your fork and shock serviced. Should be good to go for a few more years yet, unless the pivot bearings are almost shot.
  • 09-05-2016
    TakoKichi
    Everything sounds good and thank you guys for the suggestions.
    Funny but I was actually looking at the Mavic CrossMax wheelset as
    well as changing over to a 2 x 11 or possibly a 1 x 11.
    I had the fork serviced a couple times over the years so I might keep it.
    But again, thank you for your ideas.
  • 05-01-2017
    syphen
    2 Attachment(s)
    Maybe I'm the only person still rolling around on a Trance X on a regular basis! Haha
    Finally decided to spring on a 140mm Fox Float 32 Factory.
    Attachment 1134948
    Attachment 1134949

    Used a Cane Creek EC44/40 external cup to fit the tapered fork. It's been pouring rain here so I haven't hit the trail yet but it seems good so far.
  • 05-01-2017
    661lee
    Looks good. I always liked that color. I ran a 140 Float on mine too.
  • 05-01-2017
    Biohazard74
    NICE BRO ! I still love my 2009. I set it up mostly for jumping and all that fun stuff. Still one of my favoride models of bike period to this day.
  • 05-02-2017
    Steel Calf
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Biohazard74 View Post
    NICE BRO ! I still love my 2009. I set it up mostly for jumping and all that fun stuff. Still one of my favoride models of bike period to this day.

    agreed. I nearly bought the 2009 Trance X2 myself. It was probably the most fun bike I ever rode, unfortunately on longer tracks the medium ultimately proved to be too small, the large was a big jump in size that came with this absurd long headtube that looked silly and made the handlebar too high.

    They kinda killed off the Trance in 2010 and I had to wait till 2014 to eventually buy the 27.5 one.
  • 05-24-2017
    Wez Lee
    3 Attachment(s)
    @syphen you're not alone. :)

    I'm still rocking a 09 Trance X and getting a super nice with the help of the backgound. :)

    Attachment 1138923

    Attachment 1138922

    And racing with it

    Attachment 1138924