mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Trance X ... Is this normal? included pics

Hey guys, instead of me staring at my bike wondering if this is normal i wanted to show it to the experts. Im not sure if this is normal or if i possibly bent the rear triangle or rear wheel.

when the bike is flipped upside and you look at the rear wheel it seems somewhat off center. The chainside of the frame measured 1/2 inch between the tire and the frame...the rotor side only measure 3/16 of an inch measured the same. I measured it from right below the knobs on each side.. when i spin the tire i notice that the tread isnt perfect but it measures the same on all spots of tire. i also measured it from the rim and the chain side still has more room.. im not sure if this is normal or if something is wrong.. here are some pics..

here is where i measured it on both sides...

sorry for all the pictures but i wanted to show you what i see....im new to biking so dont bash me too hard if this is just a simple mistake on my part!!! i understand this could be a defected tire or something else, but i wanted to make sure that the frame isnt built this way on purpose, or if both sides of the rear triangle are normally built identical.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The rear wheel my be out of dish. That means the rim is offset to one side over the hub. Have you shop check it out.

OTB 1 Tree=2 frac vert
    I have the same bike. Love it!! I have taken a few good spills and had no problems from them. Even the rims have stayed true thru all the riding. I am quite fussy with how my bike is maintained. The problem could come from not seating the axles inthe hangers all the way. That puts the wheel in crooked. Also make sure your quick release skewers are TIGHT. Good luck

mtbr member

mine does the same

I've toyed with positioning the wheel in the dropouts and skewer tightness. Nothing makes a difference. I'm going to take it into the lbs and see what they find. anyone else have this problem?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    was it always like that? if so, it is probably the dish of the wheel. if this probably randomly appeared then it is probably something like a bent frame (doubtful) or perhaps a broken axle?

mtbr member
    You really need to get the bike checked to see if the rear wheel tracks the front properly.
    The lower yoke is asymmetrical (which will throw your eye out a little), so it's hard to tell whether the wheel's off the centreline, which is what matters (despite the left/right yoke/chainstay clearance concern).
    If the tracking is fine, than you have no problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here is one suggestion.....use smaller pictures.

mtbr member
    I agree with Formulaone33, have your shop check the dish on the rear wheel and then have them check the frame with a frame alignment gauge. Any LBS worth a can of nuts should have one. The rear wheel not being fully seated in the dropouts is unlikely to be the culprit here, unless you have the only Trance X with horizontal dropouts. If it were a seating issue, you would see this deflection at the top of the wheel, rather than the front and you would be having major brake rub issues.
    If you want to do an easy dish check for yourself, remove your rear derailleur (to keep grease off of the brake rotor) and install your rear wheel backwards and see if the rim and tire are off to the other side. If the off-centered-ness (?) goes the other direction, your wheel is out of dish and you should get it re-tensioned. Hope this helps. Good Luck.
    Ride More