mtbr member
    May 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm Trance X headset query

Hi, Can any one help with the technical specifications for a 2009 trance X1? XL frame if that makes a difference...

It's about time to replace said headset and would like to try a Works Components angle headset to slacken it off

I figure either a 1.5 or 1 degree slacker HA would be best, anyone got any advice on that front too?

Many Thanks,

Dave

mtbr member
    I dunno how you ride or where but the geometry seems good stock to me, or you could put a 140mm fork on it for more HA and as a bonus get more travel.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Since that year frame was designed around the 44mm zerostack style headset, the Works headset is going to add stack since it has to use external cups to allow any angle adjustment.

The external cups are going to add at least 15mm or stack overall. The head tube on the XL is WAY too tall for you to notice any significant head angle change IMO. Also, adding a 140 or 150mm fork is just going to make the height even worse. I really hate tall front ends, so I sold my 09 XL and went with the Advanced SL frame since the head tube was over an inch shorter, and the tapered design allowed the use of an Angleset.

If you like stilt-high handlebars, then no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by teamfbr View Post
    It's about time to replace said headset and would like to try a Works Components angle headset to slacken it off

I figure either a 1.5 or 1 degree slacker HA would be best, anyone got any advice on that front too?

Many Thanks,

Dave
    A 650b front wheel will slacken the head angle + increase the BB height + more rollover speed. A 3mm offset shock bushing will slacken the HA .75degrees and reduce the bb height. You'll need to move your saddle forward a bit to compensate for the slacker seat tube.

mtbr member
    I have a 150mm fork off my reign for sale. It will slack it to where you want and eat bumps better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I've tried a Cane Creek Angleset on my '08 TX. I knew it would add stack height on the top, but wasn't expecting quite so much on the bottom. My steerer was cut too short to get the stem on much more than halfway. I rode it once at 1 deg, but took it off because of the stem. I already am running a Float 140. I felt that 1 deg made the bike more "carny" on the downhills, but made it wander a bit on the up. Decided I'd try .5 deg. if my steerer magically grows or I can find a stem with a much shorter clamping area.

Want to buy a Cane Creek? Only ridden once...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks everyone,

as far as works components themselves go, it seems they dont have a suitable headset given the length of the headtube.

I certainly dont want to add ANY height in the front end...i even run my stem flipped and right down on one small spacer.

I dont really need more travel but would have liked to get a slacker head angle for more confidence descending technical trail....

anyway, thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have the same question, Im about to buy a Trance X 2011 frame and I have a 120MM fork thats 1-1/8 what sort of reducer will work? I have a headset from One-one the Smoothie with a reducer for 1-1/8 laying around its 44mm Zero Stack top / 49.61mm International Standard bottom with reducer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just bought a Trance X 2011, its Overdrive 1, please help my fork is 1 1/8 can someone tell me exactly what type of headset I need.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Liternet, what reducer did you go with in the end? I will probably need to do exactly the same thing as I am looking for a fork for my build and the 1 1/8 forks seem to be so much cheaper than the tapered variety.

I heard fsa do make a part that reduces the lower to fit. Any help much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Gribble Ill find out this week since Im receiving the frame from the US, I have a smoothie headset with a Crown reducer I hope that either the Crown reducer works with Giants Headset or that the Smoothie Headset from on-one works with the frame.

Tried everywhere to get the S.H.I.S. for the headset but with no luck, the worst part is that Im in Brasil if what I have does not work the frame will have to wait for a headset.

if anyone has the S.H.I.S. code It would help a lot thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just got some info from the user Pumaking

The SHIS is just your standard semi-integrated 44OD - Top /56OD - Bottom headset. As long as the reducer matches the bearing surface, you'll be fine. Cane Creek makes a headset setup that will do Tapered bearings with a crown reducer.

Gribble I guess the FSA Crown Reducer could probably work with the standard Giant Heatset that comes with the frame in order to use a 1-1/8 fork

FSA Integrated Crown Race Reducer > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Litermit. Thanks very much for the link. My 2011 L frame just arrived today and I have just got it out of the box.

Mine is also a USA model - in the box I had the following bits:

conical spacer (branded Giant/FSA)
    4 carbon look spacers
    star nut, stem cap ad bolt
    bottom bearing assembly, with an integrated 1 1/8 reducer (it looks like that to me anyway). Branded TH industries.
    I also believe I have got two crown races - 1 brass look 1 1/8, the other black and presumably 1.5.

What I can't see is any kind of headset bearing assembly for the top of the fork - is this standard with the frames from what other people have seen? I am not sure where I need to go and look for that part - seems very odd that the bottom is provided, but no top.

Frame looks sweet and I am really stoked to have a go when she is built up...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    gribble I also have to thank Puma!

Anyway there should be two bearings sets, one for the bottom cup which is bigger and one for the top cup of the headset which is smaller.. The top should have been provided indeed but Im sure its an easy bearing to find.

I had my first ride on the bike last weekend, could not believe how it climbs so well, the front not once came up on the most difficult climbs and going down was so much fun! Im so glad I went with the Trance instead of a the Anthem.

It does feel like the perfect bike to do it all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I received the following items in my box with the frame:

https://picasaweb.google.com/christo...92348882166242

The spacer, concical spacer, star nut etc are all preset, as is the headset bearing(s)? and presumably what are the crown race things.

The only thing is, the bearing looks like it is almost two bearings pushed together. Please see the link of it resting on the starnut:

https://picasaweb.google.com/christo...92379944674514

The bike shop said it looked like they were two parts pressed together. They said I should try and separate them carefully. I have tried with a soft-headed mallet, but it won't move an inch. Does this set up look anything like what anyone else received?

The smaller ring looks like it is pushed inside the larger, lower cup. I think the top is 1 1/8 and bottom 1.5. The bottom and top cups both have independent bearing movement, which make me think they are two pieces and not one, but they just seem so well stuck together I am not sure if they are supposed to be like that!

Below is an extract of what I sent to the bike shop:

The headset bearing, which I have taken a picture of below, almost looks like two separate machined bearing parts pushed together. I took the best picture I could of it more close up, balanced on the starnut, but it was done on my iPod so might be a bit rubbish.

the lower or wider bearing has "th industries 1.5 acb 36 x 45 073#"

The smaller bearing, which almost looks pushed in from below, but seems to fit perfect, has "th industries 1 1/8" and some writing I can not read, as it is covered up.

mtbr member
    One bearing is indeed trapped inside the other, Try a bit more force, got any sockets that fit over the smaller one and support the larger? If so tap the smaller one out- just try not to damage the seals (you can pry them out if need be)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ratty, thanks. Feel a bit of a dumb idiot as the local bike store had it out in a second...I was hitting it the wrong way! Doh!

Anyway, looks like I just need the adaptor to make the 1.5 bearing for a 1 1/8 fork.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by gribble View Post
    Anyway, looks like I just need the adaptor to make the 1.5 bearing for a 1 1/8 fork.
    FSA Integrated Crown Race Reducer > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gribble View Post
    Ratty, thanks. Feel a bit of a dumb idiot as the local bike store had it out in a second...I was hitting it the wrong way! Doh!

No worries, I always think its better to ask a daft question than make a daft mistake!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for all the help, reducer on order from Jenson USA.

Now need to get the rest of the build stuff so I can actually get out and ride her.