mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Trance X changes 2008-2012

My brother is in the market for a used Trance X with an aluminum frame, likely an X2. Are there any changes to the frames between the years? I read that the 2011 had a slacker head angle, but the Giant site says the 2010 and 2011 are all 69.5. I can't find any other mentions of changes when I search, and the Giant web archive isn't useful. I'm also wondering if the suspension changed significantly through the years.

I have a 2011 SL1 and my wife has a 2011 X3 if that helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I recently looked at the geometry between the two - looks the same to me as well between the years. Suspension is the same Maestro suspension, same travel. Obviously components change year to year but as far as the frames, they were the same from 2008-2010, and got changed for the 2011 model year, which is the current design. From what I understand the biggest differences (I own an '08) are:

- Frame design - Straight toptube and few other details on the newer ones reduce weight
    - New ones have tapered steerers and shorter headtubes
    - 2011 and up have press fit bottom brackets, previously threaded external BB's.
    - I have also read that they slackened the geometry, but it doesn't show that in the specs so I don't think so...