mtbr member

Smile Trance X built 97%, surprisingly light

I just am finishing a long term build of a Trance X 26" x1 frame. I got the tires and everything but seat, steering tube spacers and shifter housings mounted. Even pedals. And what really made me grin, was that the dang thing is so light! I was going cheap on a lot of stuff, and it sill came out to....26.5 lbs with pedals (just no seat)!

I know this is not really "news" but the forum seems a bit dead and figured I'd add a post.

My bike -

X1 trance MTBR classifieds - Large
    Manitou Minute Pro 140 20mm axle (new - head tube is so dang long you can't find used to fit)
    X9 9speed front and rear
    SRAM gear cluster
    XO grip shifts
    race face alum. bar Jeson Closeout
    Easton $2.99 stem (no kidding was Jenson closeout) 110 mm
    Juicy 7 brakes and rotors - MTBR classifieds
    some "clearance" sale ebay seatpost
    XT crank/BB - new hollowtech x3 9 speed ( this is incredibly light!)
    Stans wheels / 3.3 hubs
    slant 6 tires
    shimano 545 or some such old but works good pedal

I need a seat, and cup of stans front and back but that's still way lighter than where I thought the bike was going to weigh in! I'm stoked! This is going to be amazing!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    very nice!

I have no idea why my Trance is so heavy. I have a 2009 Large X4. Pretty much stock (I changed stems and I also have Juicy 7s). Mine came out to 34lbs

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Nice job!

kaotix: you're bike is that heavy because it's an X4. Lots of lower end spec parts that are heavy on those models, vs. the X3, X2, X1.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    I'm no expert but the XT crankset is WOW light. That one bit, and stan's wheels, slant 6 tubeless tires make wheels I think do a LOT. Wheelset is way lighter than I am used to. I'm also using the small 7"? disk brakes bigger rotors weigh a bit more, and the Minute Pro fork is < 4lbs.