mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trance X or Anthem X for endurance/XC racing?

I am looking for a bike for fast XC riding and racing, on up to long rides and races, and I am pretty light on equipment. I live in Colorado, but don't plan on doing any jumps or drops with this bike. Races such as the Breck B-68 or Laramie Enduro, and riding on the Front Range and central Colorado. Typical rides involve lots of climbing, maybe some rough stuff, maybe some fire roads.

I am currently riding a Salsa Dos Niner 29er, and looking for more suspension/control with a full-suspension frame.

For this type of riding, is the geometry of the Anthem X more efficient than the additional suspension of the Trance X? With equivalent parts, is there any difference in climbing efficiency between the two frames? Any noticeable difference, other than the pound or two associated with the additional weight of the Trance? A large frame will fit me in both bikes.

Any suggestions?

Steve

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just went throught he same thing and after riding both back to back (on trails) I ended up with the Anthem. I think the extra half inch of travel they added really helps. The Trance was a sweet bike and I understand why they are popular but the Anthem was alot lighter (more than a pound or two) and climbed better. So for here on the western slope of CO and I think it fits my riding better. I definitely say ride both and you'll know which one is right. Unfortunately due to the weather I haven't been able to put any additional miles on mine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I know the Trance X is more plush but how is the Anthem X on rooty, rocky trails? I like a more aggressive handling bike like the Anthem but I ride a lot of rooty trails with short steep technical climbs. If the Anthem X is a little plush feeling it might be better for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have the '08 Anthem 1 and a '09 Anthem X1. The extra 1/2" makes a BIG difference IMO. If you're looking for a plush racer, you'll be very happy with the AnthemX. It soaks up the rocks and roots just fine. Any more suspension than 4" would be overkill based on what you describe as your intended use.

I rode only the Trance before buying (as that is all that was available at the time) and the Anthem is lighter, better climber, faster acceleration, etc. etc. I thought I wanted the Trance but the shop I purchased from steered me in the direction of the Anthem and I am so glad they did I bought a 2nd one!

mtbr member
    I'm riding an Anthem Advanced with the 3.5" in the back and a fox 100 up front. I race it XC and also for 6-8-24hrs. I was concerned about the shortish travel on the anthem and how choppy the bike felt in the rough. Well Push took care of both ends for me, now the rear feels like there is an extra inch or so of travel. I've had a Trance advanced and compared to the anthem it was heavier and felt harder to get up and go, something you need for any race. The ride characteristics of carbon does mute some of the trail chatter, plus the bike is super stiff when hammering.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I just went from an 08' Specialized Stumpjumper Expert and 07' Epic Marathon to an 09' Anthem X. The Anthem is as fast as my Epic and as smooth as the Stumpjumper. I did put a 120mm fork up front so that makes a difference but I would definately recommend the Anthem over the Trance. If your not doing a lot of jumps the Trance is overbuilt and not worth the extra weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

120 mm fork on Anthem X

Quote Originally Posted by TomBouch
    I just went from an 08' Specialized Stumpjumper Expert and 07' Epic Marathon to an 09' Anthem X. The Anthem is as fast as my Epic and as smooth as the Stumpjumper. I did put a 120mm fork up front so that makes a difference but I would definately recommend the Anthem over the Trance. If your not doing a lot of jumps the Trance is overbuilt and not worth the extra weight.

This is an interesting idea - I actually have a 120 mm Fox fork that I could use on the Anthem X and perhaps get the best of both worlds - climbing efficiency of the Anthem X in the back, with a bit more suspension up front.

A good thing to consider...

Steve

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That was my theory and I LOVE it. I get the efficiency and light weight of the Anthem and plushness of the Trance. I ride very rocky and rooty singletrack but don't do any jumps so the extra pound and a half for extra strength didn't make sense. It's a great race bike and trail bike. I used to ride a hardtail so I always thought you need more cush up front.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The other reason I went with the Anthem is that I couldn't stand the upright riding position of the Trance. It feels like you are standing up. The Fox F120 RL weighs .1 pounds heavier than the F100 RL but that is a very small price to pay for the extra travel. The Anthem is already a very light bike. My Stumpy was 26.2 lbs., my Epic was 25 lbs., and my Anthem is 24 lbs with the longer fork. I called Fox and had them send me a 10mm travel reducer spacer in case I didn't like the 120. Then I always have the option of taking it down to 110, but so far I am very pleased. Fox charged me like 2 bucks for it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

these bikes were practically designed for a 120mm fork. it slows the steering down just enough to make it one of the best "all around" handling bikes i have ridden. it aids rider confidence in rough sections. and it gives up absolutely nothing on the ascents.

i work at a giant shop and have thought heavily between the trance x and the anthem x. coming from a Motocross/DH background im always hesitant to swing a leg over an xc race bike. im no torque monster, but i like to attack turns and rougher sections and if a bike has flex, i feel it. ive had this thing off 2' to flat and high speed drops (never stopped to check the size) in which you land in a rock garden of about 4" diameter sized granite. the bike doesnt kick out, doesnt feel overwhelmed. i still had some shock travel left after the ride (and thats with my initual flub of using about 13% sag)

if you take the time to play with the suspension settings on the rear, the anthem x is a super versatile bike.

needless to say, the anthem x will be my next bike after my foes fxr sells (ya, the bike ive been ridin is a demo bike...)

-redrider11-