Thread: Trance X

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Trance X

Considering getting one of these or a Spec Stumpjumper. Opinions?

Does the Trance have any chronic issues? Also, I was looking at an X1. Are the generic Giant parts on it reliable? Specifically the wheels. They gotta be better than specialized's stuff. Hopefully.

Thanks for the Help.

Joe

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I just picked up a Trance X2 from LBS for $1500 and so far I LOVE it! I've only had it for about 2 weeks but so far so good. The X1 is definitely a step up but I couldn't turn down the price on the X2. I can always upgrade later.

I read A LOT of reviews before buying my bike and I think you really can't go wrong with the X1. It's a great bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The Trance and the stumpjumper ride differently, with the trance having a more active rear suspension, which is not to say it "bobs" (they all bounce if you bounce on the seat) but I would argue it gets better traction (thru the more active bump absorption) and is thus more confidence inspiring....My big beef with the specialized is the company seems dead-set on having a full-sus bike mimic the 'feel' of a hardtail except when you need it, which to that i say: WHAT IS THE POINT of having rear suspension at all then?

the generic GIANT parts on the giant bikes arguably come out of the same factory that the SPECIALIZED generic parts come from, so reliability is probably similar....also on that point, both brands are well-regarded as being a very good value (bang for the buck) which is true, but that price point is met thru having most of the less notiecable components being generic...

hope that helps and good luck getting your new bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it. Keep them coming.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I bought a Trance X0. Wanted the better wheels brakes ETC. my friend has the Spec. and the biggest bummer are the brakes. Noisy Elixer.

mtbr member
    I have the trance x29 2 and love it. I climb sitting down and it just works.
    2013 Giant Trance X29 2
    2012 Specialized Hardrock Disc 29er