mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Trance X for 5'11" Rider (yet another sizing thread...)

If you ride a Trance and are around 5'11" what size are you on? When I look at the geometry it seems that I should be on a large but the demo bike that I rode was a medium and it felt great (the seat was pretty far back though).
    One dealer is telling me that a medium is the way to go (he only has medium's in stock) and another dealer is telling me I should be on a large (this is the place that let me borrow the demo bike and he has both medium and large bikes in stock).
    Thanks in advance for your help!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Don't get me wrong here, I'm no expert, there'll be better advice than mine out there I'm sure, BUT....

From everything I've read and heard, 5'11" is right on the border of medium or large...I'm 5'8" and I'm close to a small but more of a medium. Remember not every 5'11" is the same, longer torso or longer legs...

Having said that, if it felt great, it's probably right, but sit on a large just to be sure. However, I've also heard, and it makes sense, that if borderline, get the smaller one AS LONG AS it truly can be fitted properly, which makes sense as you are saving a fraction of weight.

My only experience with the borderline thing is demoing a small Anthem, and it was fairly clear that I wanted to be stretched out a bit more.

mtbr member
    I ride a large trance x2 and i'm 5'11. Feels good for me

May contain nuts
    Also 5'11" (longish torso) and the large TX is perfect. Run it with a 90mm stem. The TX has a long headtube so it tends to make for a compact cockpit.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    I'm 5'11" and ride a Med with a 70mm stem.

siv
    mtbr member
    As stated before, it depends how your body gets to that size. Longer legs puts your seat higher, longer arms puts your seat back. Im 6'1" and am going with an XL Reign or Trance X. I find it easier to make the XL smaller than it is to make a L bigger, something to condier with the M and L frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm 5'11" and I'm on a Med X2. Feels compact, but not tight. I think if you like the compact feel, get a Med, it you want a roomy feel, get the LRG.

mtbr member
    Also 5'11 and I'm happy with Large, but changed 110 to 90mm stem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm right under 6'. Currently riding an TX2 Large with stock 110 stem inverted. Like other comments above I'm also looking to possibly go with a 90 or 110 stem instead.

I'm more of an aggressive cross country that likes to stretch a little in the cockpit. Comments are correct above stating that the tall headtube makes the cockpit smaller.

Didn't demo a TX medium so can't comment on it but I did test ride a large and medium Anthem. I know it is a completely different bike and geometry but it did show that the large anthem was the right size for me. I'm confident in my large choice. I have a longer torso and shorter legs, 32" pant inseam.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm a hair over 6'. I test rode a large TX2 and it was perfect - that's what size i'll be getting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

depends on preference & torso

I'm 5'11" with long legs and short torso. I typically like a racier position with high seat and relatively low handlebars. I ride a medium anthem 0 and a medium trance X0.

I am using a 110mm stem on both anthem and trance. I prefer shorter wheelbases for tight maneuvering and fast cornering.

Hope this helps. enjoy your new bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I think I'm going with a medium...

I've ridden a couple mediums and larges over the weekend and it seems that either a medium with a 110 stem or a large with a 90 stem would be about right. There's more post showing on the medium but I still have over two inches from the minimum insertion line. The difference is pretty subtle but the medium seems just seems more tossable.Thanks to everyone for their help!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am 5'11" and I ride a Med X2 with a 120mm, 0* rise stem and a wide flat bar.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm 5'11" and also went with the medium - have ridden it about 4 times now and I definitely made the right decision. When I stood over the large frame my junk was resting on the top tube - it was tough for me to even swing my leg over...