mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Trance X 3 - 2 broken bolts

Hello!
    I have trance X3. After about 2 moths after purchase when I was going down, I've noticed that there is something wrong with rear suspension. I've looked closer and saw that there is to much space between Fox's top whole and bolt (i twas 'wobbling'). The bolt was broken :/ My lbs servcice changed it realy fast, but that did not helped. I was tightening bolt every time I saw it's shaking a little. This morning i tightened it one more time, then i've heard 'crack' .... 2nd broken bolt :/ Now bike is in LBS. If it happen one more time i'll consider switch to hardtail.

Any of You had similar problem?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    check your reducers too... and use a torque wrench and antiseize when tightening the bolt

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Yeah, put some locktite on the bolts when you put them in and do them up real tight or get the shop to do it.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

broken bolt

Currently I do not have torque wrench. I do not think that I should have one, because it's not normal situation when You have such problems with new bike. I hope that i'll not be forced to buy one. I've not used much power to tigchten bolt. Anyway, I saw that main arm of rear suspension (which holds rear damper) had damaged hole for bolt. It was missing few 'rings' inside the hole. Probably that's why bolt was unscrewing.

At the first time when the bolt was broken guys from lbs changed it to new one from trance x2. That was fine, and yes they used locktite. But after few rides bolt was still unscrewing. I think they have to replace main rear suspension arm.

There is also thread on forum about broken the same bolt in Trance Advanced

Guys thanks for suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by rupert83
    Currently I do not have torque wrench. I do not think that I should have one, because it's not normal situation when
    I agree completely with you on the bolt situation...but a torque wrench is a very useful tool.... not a"requirement" to do things, but definitely useful for working around the bike

At least it seems like your LBS is on top of things, I hope things get worked out.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Cris, are you moderating the Giant forum now?
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    [SIZE=2]Cris, are you moderating the Giant forum now?
    [/SIZE]
    not in particular, EGF... Warp is in charge of "modding" in here, but as a supermod I can help out too.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Oh ok, I saw you had been promoted and its been ages since I saw Warp on the Giant forum and thought you may have succumbed to the best bikes in the world…
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I got it today! As I suspected they replaced arm with damaged hole for bolt. Guys from lbs where testing bike, they told they were pushing it to the limits and everything is ok... we will see I have next 3 days for testing. I was riding on it today just a little ... and what I can say ... this suspension is so damn good, so sensitive I'll update status after the weekend so stay tuned

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Good it’s sorted… hope it stays that way.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Finally....

After full season and many miles behind me .... everything works fine