mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Trance x 29er Stock shock tune.

So as I take the bike on more trails Iím running into some issues. FYI im 200 Ė 205lbs geared up.
    The x2 comes with the monarch R. Low rebound, M compression. I donít like how the rear feels Ė not like the maestro Iím used to. The rear end is pretty harsh on square edge hits (almost wanting to stop the bike). At 25% sag the shock never sees the last 23% 0f travel. At 30% sag the max travel tops out in exactly the same last 23% and pedal strikes makes the ride unbearable. I almost feel like the bike needs a low compression tune.

So for the x0 and x1 owners: what is the stock fox shock tune?
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    X1 - Velocity Tune L, Rebound Tune M, Boost Valve Tune 250

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    X1 - Velocity Tune L, Rebound Tune M, Boost Valve Tune 250
    Thanks - It seems my gut feeling was right. Can you explain the BVT to me please (is this platform related?). Also any idea why the opposite tunes (I understand the shock makers are different but could the tuning vary so wildly?).
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sorry - honestly have no idea on the boost valve tune. I just went out the garage and grabbed the numbers for ya. It's possible that the differences in tune are due to the CTD Fox shocks this year. They can get away with different settings if they're expecting you to flip the lever. I'm just guessing on that, though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    Sorry - honestly have no idea on the boost valve tune. I just went out the garage and grabbed the numbers for ya. It's possible that the differences in tune are due to the CTD Fox shocks this year. They can get away with different settings if they're expecting you to flip the lever. I'm just guessing on that, though.
    Okay thanks for the info. It has me in the right direction.
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hmmm. I have not been able to locate a single RS product with the giant stroke specs that doesn't have a medium compression tune. That's interesting. Would Giant settle on THAT kind of a compromise to save a few beans.
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have an X0 and I weigh about 73kg (160lb) with gear. I find that I get through the travel quite quickly, to the point that I don't use the descend mode. I originally set it up using the Fox iRd iphone app but had to increase the pressure to get it to ride properly.

As far as damping is concerned I don't think you can compare the RS damping rates to the Fox rates in terms of low-med-high tune.. I may be wrong but I cannot see that they are equivalent, the only way to compare would be to put both on a Dyno and get a force-velocity curve. This would give you absolute values to base your decision off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Roguelux View Post
    I have an X0 and I weigh about 73kg (160lb) with gear. I find that I get through the travel quite quickly, to the point that I don't use the descend mode. I originally set it up using the Fox iRd iphone app but had to increase the pressure to get it to ride properly.

As far as damping is concerned I don't think you can compare the RS damping rates to the Fox rates in terms of low-med-high tune.. I may be wrong but I cannot see that they are equivalent, the only way to compare would be to put both on a Dyno and get a force-velocity curve. This would give you absolute values to base your decision off.

Where did you end up with sag when you increased pressure?
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.