mtbr member

Trance X 29er rear shock length and stroke?

I'm attempting to try a different rear shock but I can't seem to get a straight answer as to what the Trance X 29er rear shock length and stroke is. Does anyone KNOW what they are? Thanks!
    Last edited by homey; 06-20-2013 at 12:12 PM.
    "You can become a very fast donkey, but you'll never be a thoroughbred..."

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just curious. What shock and why? I have this bike.

mtbr member
    The Monarch Plus. Bc my friend has one on her Reign and she "friggin loves" it and I wanna see what all the hollering is all 'bout...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm curious as well. No complaints on the base Monarch that came on my TX 2, but it would be nice to know what I could get if I should decide to change it or something happened to it. I have yet to see ANY direct specs on the rear shocks of the bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

mtbr member
    mrniceguy42... earning your avatar name today!! Thanks man.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by homey View Post
    mrniceguy42... earning your avatar name today!! Thanks man.
    Haha...always. I posted here because I have been a solely 26" rider my whole life. Last weekend I had demoed a trance 29er and was blown away from how much I liked it. I am not getting rid of my 26er but I just recently moved to a place with more high mileage rides and less tech. Once finances stabilize I see myself purchasing a 29er, and the trance may be it. Very VERY surprised/impressed at how this bike handled.

About the monarch plus. I owned a bike that started its life with an RP23. There was MUCH left to be desired. I bought a Monarch Plus for it. Some of the best money I have spent on a bike. Unfortunately they dont make the size for the trance, but I have read ppl slapping on the 7.5x2 on trances (26"). It will change your geo a little but maybe worth it, IDK.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    tbh I'm amazed nobody has squeezed a 7.5x2 (190x50mm) in a T29 yet.
    I know I have in a 26 and won't be going back to stock size.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    p_cycle. Do you notice any of the perceived "negatives" with increasing the shock length in the back? (steeper head angle, higher BB)

I am seriously considering another giant (will be my 4th) and I would love to slap a monarch plus on the back, just kinda worried about screwing with the geo.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    we are talking about the 26 right?
    I run a 140 fork so head angle is about the same as stock fork-shock combo.
    the BB raises a bit and you can feel it but it doesn't ruin the ride.
    I purposely run just a little less psi so I sag in the 25-30% region with the longer rear travel. So BB isa little less raised, the ride is even plusher, and maestro still stays in its working window for climbing. no blur tr approach if that's your thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was talking about the 29 but it is the same idea with the 26. Good to hear that 7.5 works (the higher BB would work for me, maybe not others). Shock options now include RS monarch plus and CCDB-A.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I've run 7.5 x 2 in a 26" Tx before and only had negatives with no real positives.
    Steepened head angle and raised BB although you can regain some with an offset bush.
    Altered the shock rate curve and leverage ratio at the sart of the stroke. I found I used all the extra shock stroke to easily at the start so gained no net benefit. just sagged and bobbed more. You could raise air pressure more to offset that but it still seemed to bob lots then ramp up so you didn't use as much travel.
    Found it much better to move to a large can 190 x 50 RT3 which is more linear and you can use all of the available travel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    GVS for the win!

I'd like to know what's going on with that TX29 using the reign link long-term now....seems like the main difference in the link was shock-eye distance from the central pivot, the central-pivot to swingarm being the same....seems like that would decreas leverage on the shock....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I did this a few months ago. Monarch RT3 7.5x2, (2013 shock)

I bought the bike with a Fox 34 140 fork, and posted the Reign link. I converted the Fox 34 to 150mm, and the bike started to wander just a bit on climbs, so I wanted to raise the back a bit to match the longer fork. The longer shock did the trick, and I like the damping a bit better than the Fox. The shock fits great, with just a bit of clearance between the lower link and the bottom bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by p_cycle View Post
    tbh I'm amazed nobody has squeezed a 7.5x2 (190x50mm) in a T29 yet.
    I know I have in a 26 and won't be going back to stock size.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FZBob View Post
    I did this a few months ago. Monarch RT3 7.5x2, (2013 shock)

I bought the bike with a Fox 34 140 fork, and posted the Reign link. I converted the Fox 34 to 150mm, and the bike started to wander just a bit on climbs, so I wanted to raise the back a bit to match the longer fork. The longer shock did the trick, and I like the damping a bit better than the Fox. The shock fits great, with just a bit of clearance between the lower link and the bottom bracket.

Has anyone done this (installed a 7.5x2) with not using the reign link? Using the tx29 stock?

Thx

Doesnt ride Banshees
    If you're looking to just upgrade your rear shock to one of the current size, there's a kashima RP23 for sale on another forum that fits, and those things are silky smooth.

BustedSpoke.com - View topic - Fox RP23 CTD & Fox Air volume tuning kit