mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Trance X 29er rear CTD shock Concensus/impressions

So hows every one feeling with the implementation of the CTD rear shock on their TX 29er. I hate my X2s monarch R and will probably be picking one of these up or an RT3. I have heard mix reviews on the more linear spring rate and its effect on low speed compression. If anyone wants to ditch theirs motivated buyer here as well
    What are your likes and dislikes; what would you change? Where does the shock excel and where does it exhibit weakness.
    Please list:
    Preferred Sag:
    Actual Sag:
    Riding Style:
    Riding Terrain:
    Riding weight:
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

mtbr member
    Why has no one answered you, LordDRIFT! I've had my TX29 0 for about two weeks, several days of which were lost in a warranteed repair of the rear hub. The CTD shock works great. A couple of things: Coming from RP23's (that I usually kept on "pro-pedal"), it took a while to remember to flick the CTD into "Climb" mode for prolonged climbs, of which there are many around here, then back to "Trail". I can and DO climb in "Trail" but honestly "Climb" feels more efficient. Also, I'm still fumbling around for that switch. I have not desired "Descend" yet though I can think of certain rock gardens to try it on.. um, maybe next week. I am more of an xc rider but this bike is giving me super powers.

It took a few rides to get dialed in. My CTD Sag is ~11mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have a love hate relationship with mine. I love the way it works in each of the three modes and use trail predominately, then climb, with descend a distant third, mainly because of the type of terrain I ride. The hate is trying to find the bloody CTD lever to adjust it while riding! Am sure I will get used to it eventually, but for no it bugs me. I forget my sag (have it written down at home!)