mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Trance X 29er.2nd ride and its broken

Took my new trance up to brown county IN today. 2nd time on the new bike. Everything was set up my LBS where i bought it to my weight (220)so i never touched it.

Anyways about an hour into the ride the fork turned into a Pogo stick and became very stiff and started topping out violently. CTD did nothing rebound did nothing we let all the air out and checked everything still the same.

Anyone have any ideas what could have happened?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Viva la Vida!
    Let me Guess..... It's a GIANT bike and a FOX fork.
    That's what's wrong!
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That it is.....guess i missed a memo somewhere

mtbr member
    same thing happened to a friend of mine's brand new, CTD fork. He weighs 160 lbs, tops, so that has nothing to do with it. Had to send it back to Fox, for repair. Never heard what the cause was, but apparently, they're getting quite a few coming back to be fixed. Hasn't had a problem since, though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've done some Googling but can't find anything

DFMBA.org
    I had something similar happen to a Reba. Turns out the lower (negative) air leaked into the upper somehow and the fork became really unresponsive. Eventually the pressure blew the dust seal right out the top of the fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    I had something similar happen to a Reba. Turns out the lower (negative) air leaked into the upper somehow and the fork became really unresponsive. Eventually the pressure blew the dust seal right out the top of the fork.
    I just hope its not common that it happens in the first 4 hours on the fork.....im pissed that I've already had to take my new bike back but I'm assuming its something that fox screwed up at their factory and will take care of it

Viva la Vida!
    Ass u me ??

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Camaleon View Post
    Ass u me ??
    Lol....did Giant or Fox bend
    You over at some point or should i be worried?

Viva la Vida!
    Not me I owned a Trance and never had a problem but a bunch of friends have had nothing but problems with Giant to the point that now it's common knowledge between us that a GIANT.....
    Well it's a GIANT.
    One of them had an Anthem and he bent 2 frames the 3rd one he just sold right away.
    The main problem that started it all was this:
    The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.
    Now let's see how the NEW Trance X 29 holds up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Camaleon View Post
    Not me I owned a Trance and never had a problem but a bunch of friends have had nothing but problems with Giant to the point that now it's common knowledge between us that a GIANT.....
    Well it's a GIANT.
    One of them had an Anthem and he bent 2 frames the 3rd one he just sold right away.
    The main problem that started it all was this:
    The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.
    Now let's see how the NEW Trance X 29 holds up.
    Interesting

Viva la Vida!
    I just have to add that at least they will replace everything you break over and over.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My lbs call...apparently the damper cartridge blew....Fox is over nighting the parts

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Sucks to hear about the problems...but do you really think its fair to associate a faulty fox fork with the actual frame manufacturer? Im guessing fox overlooked a few potential flaws before releasing the item to the general public. I actually just did a local giant demo day yesterday and they had about 7 or 8 trance x 29ers...all beat to **** from guys abusing them on the trails...but they kept going out and coming in with smiles on the riders faces...even from guys who pulled up with santa cruz, specialized, ellsworth, etc.

Nothing about the new fox CTD technology really impressed me a whole lot...but it did work. I think its more for the rider who wants to take a lot of the guess work out of fork tuning. Not for me, but i do see its purpose in the industry. Been riding fox for a few years now and havent had any issues...even had an older F series that I rode for 2 years with no service...still perform awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    Sucks to hear about the problems...but do you really think its fair to associate a faulty fox fork with the actual frame manufacturer? Im guessing fox overlooked a few potential flaws before releasing the item to the general public. I actually just did a local giant demo day yesterday and they had about 7 or 8 trance x 29ers...all beat to **** from guys abusing them on the trails...but they kept going out and coming in with smiles on the riders faces...even from guys who pulled up with santa cruz, specialized, ellsworth, etc.

Nothing about the new fox CTD technology really impressed me a whole lot...but it did work. I think its more for the rider who wants to take a lot of the guess work out of fork tuning. Not for me, but i do see its purpose in the industry. Been riding fox for a few years now and havent had any issues...even had an older F series that I rode for 2 years with no service...still perform awesome.
    No its not the bikes fault but it is one of at lest 3 of the trace x 1s that i know of that have done the same thing. Apparently giant got hold of some faulty forks. And it sends to be a major issue with the ctd stuff. But i was taken care of.