DFMBA.org

Trance X 29er 1,2 Crankset Question

Giant claims they spec a Sram S1000 crankset on their TX29 1&2 models, yet the crank looks identical to an X5 crankset except for the graphics. According to Sram's website, the S1000 is "intended to compliment our X7 and X9 Families" which should rule out an X5 crank. What gives here? Am I seeing this wrong or over-thinking the room here?

Sram S1000: SRAM S1000 | SRAM

Sram X5: SRAM X5 2X10 Crankset | SRAM

I've also attached a photo of an TX29-1 crankset I took at my lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trance X 29er 1,2 Crankset Question-img_20121212_145604.jpg  

Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    As far as I know:

S1000 is OEM crank and comparable with X.5, blades directly screwed onto the crank
    S1400 is OEM crank and comparable with X.7,with removable spider
    S2200 is OEM crank and comparable with X.0

The benefit of these cranks for the manufacturer is that they can use a lower level crank (S1000 = X.5) on a bicycle which is equipped with higher-end (X.7 or X.9) gear components without looking "cheap".

DFMBA.org
    I guess my follow-up question is whether or not I could make a crank swap for an XO 2x10 (38-24 same) using the same BB?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yes thats possible, you just need to order a GXP crankset. It uses the same size BB. If your current BB is stil ok, you just remove the S1000 crank and put in the X.0
    Last edited by HkNeef; 01-09-2013 at 03:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    I guess my follow-up question is whether or not I could make a crank swap for an XO 2x10 (38-24 same) using the same BB?
    I have done this and it worked out fine

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by HkNeef View Post
    Yes thats possible, you just need to order a GXP crankset. It uses the same size BB. If your current BB is stil ok, you just remove the S1000 crank and put in the X.0
    Thanks. I was hoping to hear this!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Can anyone tell me what is the crank arm length on TX 29er? 170 or 175mm?

Thanks a lot

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    smalls are 170, med and up are 175mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes that are GXP not BB30. But the bottom brackets that come with them most likely are worthless to you. They are most likely english threaded not press fit like your TranceX BB is. You will have to measure the shell width to figure out if you need the 86 or 92. It kinda sucks now with all of the BB's that are available. You could take the ring guard off but why would you also you would need shorter chain ring bolts. ?

Your Best Friend
    All Giant MTBs use PF92
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Odie1974 View Post
    Any of those GXP's should work for you. Just for backup, I did the same as bikensand, took out the S1000 and put my XO right in without issue.
    Regarding the bash, umm, probably? I could go look, you might need shorter mounting bolts.
    FWIW, I also changed the XO's 24/38 to the 22/36 spider and ring setup, no hitches. Also gets you away from the 80/120 bcd which gives me some gearing options.
    Sram / Truvativ X.0 GXP Spider / Rings > Components > Drivetrain > Chainrings | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Oh, there you go, picture shows it with the bash off.
    Current roster:
    2013 Trance X1 29er
    2013 Mukluk 3
    Banshee Paradox V1
    2011 Defy 1

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    OK, I measured the shell width and it came out as 90mm.

FWIW I already have SRAM GXP press fit installed, so I see no problems here.

I am leaning now towards the X9, so this one:
    SRAM x9 175mm 36 22 Ring Guard Gray Crankset with GXP Bottom Bracket | eBay

I already have other x9 parts, so it will fit nicely.

Now I have another question (see, I am a newb) - what is the spider you are talking about? I understand that it gives me more ring options?

If I purchase the x9 from ebay - it does not have the spider, does it? Will I be able to buy a spider and install it on x9 crank at a later date?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Odie1974 View Post
    Now I have another question (see, I am a newb) - what is the spider you are talking about? I understand that it gives me more ring options?

If I purchase the x9 from ebay - it does not have the spider, does it? Will I be able to buy a spider and install it on x9 crank at a later date?
    The item you have pictured does have a spider-it's the four arm center assembly that the rings attach too, has the "2x10" printed on it. You can see the four Allen head bolts where the outer ring mounts. X0 cranks have a 80/120 bolt circle diameter (aka BCD). 80 is the measure of the bolt circle where the smaller inside ring mounts (ring=sprocket, the industry term is chainring btw) and 120 is the distance on the outer mount.

The X9 you are looking at is a 104/64 BCD design, which is a more popular size and will be easier to find alternate chainrings for down the road. My X0 is the less common 80/120 BCD, which is why I swapped the spider and rings to the 104/64.
    Current roster:
    2013 Trance X1 29er
    2013 Mukluk 3
    Banshee Paradox V1
    2011 Defy 1

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ah, cool, thanks a million.

So I am buying the X9 finally

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgang View Post
    smalls are 170, med and up are 175mm
    I have read in a review that the Trance 29ers are prone to pedal strikes. Is everybody agreeing to this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TrimReaper View Post
    I have read in a review that the Trance 29ers are prone to pedal strikes. Is everybody agreeing to this?
    I dont remember to ever strike a pedal until I started riding TX29. All my previous rides were 26" hardtails, so maybe it's apples to oranges though...