mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Trance X 29 wheel upgrades from PXC

I'd like to hear from anyone that changed or upgraded wheel sets/hubs from the giant pxc. Im particularly interested in observations on wider rims and what the performance differences were. I think the PXC wheels are 19mm inner diameter. any weight savings, increased wheel stiffness? list your gear!
    I know there is a wheel thread but it doesn't really have much on aftermarket wheel sets.

DFMBA.org

I don't have these (yet) on my TX29 but when the money fairy shows up, I'm getting a set of Stan's Flow wheels. Had Arches on my old hard tail and I loved them. Might even go back to the Arch since its now 'EX'.

You'll notice a difference in cornering and rotational mass. The extra traction you get from a wider rim is noticeable too.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Great thread, I'm interested in the same thing.

I recently picked up a set of Roval Traverse OE wheels with a 24mm inner width. They weight almost the same as the PXC at about 2137 grams (without cassette or rotors, but with 2bliss valves), but are 25% wider. I picked them up cheap on eBay in attempt to form my own opinions about wider wheels before buying something nicer. I haven't put them on yet, I want to ride a section of familiar trail with the old ones, one last time, then swap them at the trailhead.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    It will be interesting to hear about your test run. 19mm is only a third of the tire width. it seems really narrow. I wonder how a wider rim will effect cornering. I'm also wondering if impacts to roots and rocks feel different (more controlled/less bouncy)
    It seems like, at least for reasonably priced wheels in the 300-600 range, and equally as rugged as the PX-C, there is only marginal or no weight savings. I guess that depends on weighing the wheels with the same parts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yeah, staying under $600 new and being lighter isn't an easy task. Here is the list of wheels I've compiled, the light bicycle AM wheel fits your criteria. (the Giant and Roval wheels in the list are the ones available aftermarket, which might not be the same as OE wheels).

Stock Giant P*XC29er wheels 2168g, internal width: 19mm
    Giant P-TRX1 1795g $1050, internal width: 21mm
    ROVAL TRAVERSE 29 1860g $650, internal width: 24mm
    Iodine 3 $900 1860g, internal width: 21mm
    ZTR Arch EX 1775g, $595, internal width:21mm (400g/$88 ,just rim)
    ZTR Flow EX 1935g, $595, internal width:25.5mm (545g/$93, just rim)
    Enve Twenty9 AM 1640g $2500, internal width:24mm
    Light Bicycle AM 1525g $568.00, internal width:23mm (400g/$165, just rim)
    Darby rim 445g $299 per rim, internal width:29mm
    Syntace W35 MX 1680g $1200, internal width:28.5mm (560g, just rim)
    WIDE LIGHTNING 29, 1569g, $850, internal width:39.3mm
    Industry 9 29er Trail 24, 1520g, $1195, internal width:23.4mm

And a few articles I've recently read about wide wheels:
    Syntace W35 MX Wheels Review - Pinkbike
    Trail Tech: Rethinking rim width - BikeRadar
    Tech Tuesday ? Wider Rims Are Better and Why Tubeless Tires Burp Air - Pinkbike
    To the Point: Bill Shook on Wheels and Wide Rims - Pinkbike
    WIDE rims

And a great thread about wide wheels I've been following on this forum:
    How do yo like wide rim?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Awesome info. Thanks for all the links too. I'm going to read up. I don't know one wheel from another but I believe sun ringle has some options in the wheelhouse.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The giant and roval are the OE ones but they also sell them separately. As for a good wheel set under 1800 grams and 600$, you cant go wrong the a set of Stans Flow EX.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Also i updated my 2012 SXC2 wheels to a set of 2011 Roval Control EL with a 26mm internal width vs 19mm on the Giant wheels. They are lighter stiffer and came with the OS28 end caps which really stiffen up the front end. IMHO i dont know what type of difference to expect with the wider internal width. But overall it much a huge improvement. I cant wait to get the 36 tooth star ratchets

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Bang for buck I think the stans arch ex are great value. I went from the pxc2 to them, dropped 500 grams and went tubeless on my anthem 29. Single best mod I have done and the difference in performance amazing

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    i just make weight on the arch ex but probably more interested in the wider Flows. stans looks like a good value though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Swapped my wheels on Saturday at the trailhead, right after riding a familiar 3 mile section, and then ran the section again on the wider wheels and I have to admit I couldn't tell the difference. Perhaps it was the trail conditions (berms weren't as hard packed as they usually are, a bit sandy) or maybe I just don't lean in enough to take advantage of the better tire profile. I'm going to keep them on and see if different trail conditions expose differences, but as it stand now, I'm thinking weight isn't worth sacrificing for width (for me).

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

I have a set of 29er hope hoops with the flow ex rims on my trance x1. I was constantly aware of lateral tyre roll off the rim with the pxc2 rims. This gives an imprecise, approximate feel to steering and I was always waiting for the nobby nics to burp on hard, burmed corners or off camber landings. The new wheels are really nice, having eliminated lateral roll and burping. Much more precise steering and I trust them a lot more when the going gets rough. They seem to be able to track straight over rough terrain when the old rims would deflect off obstacles. They are still mostly true with only a quick tighten and true needed in the first week. I was running stans flow rim strips in my pxc2 rims for tubeless so in comparison the new wheels are about 200g lighter also which is noticeable on very slow, steep climbs. Overall a great upgrade! Go for it. I didn't even contemplate the colours when buying, but now that they are on they look pretty cool too!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just upgraded my wheels on my Trance 29er X1 to Hope Hoop Pro2's with Stans Arch EX rims from Wiggle (check under the 26" wheel section). Total wheel weight within tyres, cassette etc was just over 1750gms... beats the 2.1kg weight of stock.. and at $400 or delivered. I've set them to run tubeless with a Nobby Nic on front and Crossmark on the rear.

The first ride was the 4 day, 220km Cape to Cape MTB race in West Australia. Wheels took a hammering over rocks, sand, jumps etc but stayed true, didn't flex and in general rock!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Dingo24 I'm glad you're happy with the arches. It was a toss up for me between the flows and arches. The weight saving was super enticing but the width of the flows won out for me in the end. Can I ask what pressures you run in your tyres and whether you get lateral roll off the rim during hard banked cornering?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm running 30psi for most surfaces, down to 27-28 for Western Australia's notorious pea gravel tracks. I haven't had a problem with lateral roll to date.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Great thread guys, thanks! Im goign to get me them Arch EX. Ive the same X1 posted above. Did you guys buy an already made wheel?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Ive the same bike, my front rim is bent. What hub you get? Im not up to par on the sizes, i just know the front threw bolt is bigger than the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by pvdm10 View Post

mtbr member

Anyone done the Velocity Blunts/Blunts SL with DTSwiss 350's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I ended up going with a set of American Classic Wide Lightning. Hard to beat the weight and width combo for the price. Very pleased with them as they are 50% wider than the stock wheels and about 500 grams lighter.
    Trance X 29 wheel upgrades from PXC-trance_wide-lightning1.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Bjdraw View Post
    I ended up going with a set of American Classic Wide Lightning. Hard to beat the weight and width combo for the price. Very pleased with them as they are 50% wider than the stock wheels and about 500 grams lighter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trance_Wide Lightning1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	908201
    Great wheelset. I'm keen to hear how these go. Probably closer to 700grams lighter with them as the wheels are listed at 1565gWhen I weighed my pxc2 wheels they were close to 2.2kg (no cassette, no rotors, no tyres or tubes)

Are you in Australia?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm in Florida and I've had the wheels for about a month and they are great. I can definitely appreciate the approved handling as well as notice how much easier they spin up. Will def' recommend them.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I am using the velocity blunts with stealth hubs on my 2014 trance 29er x1 and they are awesome. I like them a lot they are lighter and stiffer than the stock wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trance X 29 wheel upgrades from PXC-img_0098.jpg  

mtbr member

I went with FlowEx's. I was looking at doing a Velocity Blunt build but needed to save some $$ so went with Stan's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk