mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Trance X 29 or wait for 650b Trance/Reign

Hey Folks,

Big Guy (6'0, 220lbs) currently riding a specialized stumpjumper fsr 29er. I really like the ride of the giant bikes with the maestro but was wondering if I should stick with 29 inch wheels and get a trance x or wait for the 650b. My main concern is the wheels as that was the first thing to go on my stumpjumper (running Stan's now).

Any thoughts would be great, would like something a little more playful for the northeast all mountain riding I do.

mtbr member
    If you haven't ridden a 650b before, try one out before making the decision. It doesn't even need to be a Giant; just get a feel for the wheel size. Being used to 29ers, they still feel tiny to me. Less tiny than a 26, but still tiny compared to a 29.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    remember that the 650b is closer in size to a 26" than a 29",... not 50% of the way. Actually its 39% (closer to the 26"). So if your'e a tall guy already favouring 29", I'd suspect 650b may not be as good as a 29er *for you*.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shrubeck View Post
    If you haven't ridden a 650b before, try one out before making the decision. It doesn't even need to be a Giant; just get a feel for the wheel size. Being used to 29ers, they still feel tiny to me. Less tiny than a 26, but still tiny compared to a 29.
    Good advise. I still ride all 3 sizes but being tall I need long wheelbase 26 or 650B. The latest generation 26 and 650B bikes are finally geting to the wheelbase suitable for taller riders. Even a long wheelbase slack 26" or 650B bike will still generally feel more playful than 29".

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I absolutely love my Trance X29. I was skeptical coming from a 6inch all mountain. That being said a Reign X650b would have been on the demo list.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm also 6' tall, currently have a 26" 2011 Advanced SL Trance X and love it. I've ridden many 29's and while I love 29 for hard tail, most of the FS 29 bikes I've ridden I didn't like. I prefer the "fun" playful feeling of the smaller wheels and the better acceleration. The ONLY 29 I really liked is my buddy has a fully tricked out Pivot Carbon 429 with expensive light weight carbon wheels on it...the carbon wheels made all the difference in the world making that bike feel fun and light similar to a 26...but he's got mad $$$ in that bike.

My next bike will be a 27.5 for sure, I think for the style of riding I like it's the best choice. It's still fun and playful like a 26 with a small advantage for rolling over things but without the huge wagon wheel feeling. I demoed a 6" Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon and really liked it, although the 5" Solo would be better for our local Northern Utah trails...Bronson is totally a Moab bike! I will eventually demo a 14 TranceX and I have a feeling that will be my next bike...but I'll be waiting a year for a great deal to come along. After demoing a few new bikes I decided my 26" Carbon TranceX is a really great bike and a new one isn't worth spending thousands more on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a 26" SL 0 and knowing whats it like, I can't believe your even considering other bikes lol. Go slap yourself rather briskly sir and then look at your bike again with glee.

Quote Originally Posted by motoxer913 View Post
    I'm also 6' tall, currently have a 26" 2011 Advanced SL Trance X and love it. I've ridden many 29's and while I love 29 for hard tail, most of the FS 29 bikes I've ridden I didn't like. I prefer the "fun" playful feeling of the smaller wheels and the better acceleration. The ONLY 29 I really liked is my buddy has a fully tricked out Pivot Carbon 429 with expensive light weight carbon wheels on it...the carbon wheels made all the difference in the world making that bike feel fun and light similar to a 26...but he's got mad $$$ in that bike.

My next bike will be a 27.5 for sure, I think for the style of riding I like it's the best choice. It's still fun and playful like a 26 with a small advantage for rolling over things but without the huge wagon wheel feeling. I demoed a 6" Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon and really liked it, although the 5" Solo would be better for our local Northern Utah trails...Bronson is totally a Moab bike! I will eventually demo a 14 TranceX and I have a feeling that will be my next bike...but I'll be waiting a year for a great deal to come along. After demoing a few new bikes I decided my 26" Carbon TranceX is a really great bike and a new one isn't worth spending thousands more on.