Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Trance X 29 vs Anthem X 29

For those lucky enough to throw a leg over the new Trance X, did you feel you gave up a lot in the climbing department to the Anthem X? Cheers J.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    The TX29 still climbs very well. If anything, I appreciate (and prefer) the slightly more compliant suspension on climbs, simply because it allows you to forget the small stuff and stay seated, which is ideal for slick sustained climbing. In fact, there aren't many times I notice it being "more bike" on the climbs unless it's pavement, or an end of the ride sprint back to the car.

Descending, and generally just shredding, is where the TX29 shines though. I always felt like the AX29 was a bit of a sled, without all the perks. It were always as if I was entering a turn, and it always came out of the arc too soon. I always chalked it up to the long chainstays. On the TX29, the chainstays are shorter, and it feels a bunch better when cornering aggressively. It follows a more predictable arc, and I find myself riding it just like 26" TX. Oh, and it's provides the same confidence at the Reign X on descents, without all the squish.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks Banshee. I love the Anthem but, with only one bike in my stable, it gets a little scary on the steep techy downhills. J

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey Banshee - how tall are you/what size did you ride? I've heard they run a bit big.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    I'm 5'11, lanky legs and arms, and ride a Large. I also ride a large TX26.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Cool, thanks. I'm 5'6" and glad I ordered a small when I started hearing about the long feel of it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I currently ride a large Anthem X 29er and have a Trance X1 29er on pre-order, also in large. I'm 6' tall and I think it will be a good fit. I'm guessing (or convincing myself) that similar height pro-riders would go for a smaller, lighter weight frame in exchange for comfort (when on the border of frame sizing).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RancidSLP View Post
    I currently ride a large Anthem X 29er and have a Trance X1 29er on pre-order, also in large. I'm 6' tall and I think it will be a good fit. I'm guessing (or convincing myself) that similar height pro-riders would go for a smaller, lighter weight frame in exchange for comfort (when on the border of frame sizing).
    At 5 11, I'm holding out, to sit on one. Hope they'll be some Os left to order. I usually ride a L, have a L Ax 26r, but after reading the article on the other thread... I don't know. If AC is riding a M, maybe I should too...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    im going through this debate myself. Time for a new ride, im going to wait till i can actually sit on a TX29

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    At 5'10 I ride a S anthem 26er (I am on the border, and can ride an M, but prefer the S) so will probably be on a S Trance 29er but want to wait till I can ride one first. Our dealer out here does not think they will get any until October!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I rode a TX29 this past weekend when the Giant Demo truck came to town. I'm 5'6" and the small was a perfect fit for me. BTW, it rode very well. I wasn't expecting that big of a differene from the TX26!! Might be my next bike if I can come up with the cash, as the 0 is pretty expensive.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Rally - thanks for the input. I've been a bit worried about it, even though I was pretty confident on my sizing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm 5'9", but with short legs (30" inseam). I ride a M Tx26r, but it looks like I will have to go with a S Tx29r. I'd rather it be moderately small than even a little big. Going to definitely sit/ride on one first though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider View Post
    The TX29 still climbs very well. If anything, I appreciate (and prefer) the slightly more compliant suspension on climbs, simply because it allows you to forget the small stuff and stay seated, which is ideal for slick sustained climbing. In fact, there aren't many times I notice it being "more bike" on the climbs unless it's pavement, or an end of the ride sprint back to the car.

Descending, and generally just shredding, is where the TX29 shines though. I always felt like the AX29 was a bit of a sled, without all the perks. It were always as if I was entering a turn, and it always came out of the arc too soon. I always chalked it up to the long chainstays. On the TX29, the chainstays are shorter, and it feels a bunch better when cornering aggressively. It follows a more predictable arc, and I find myself riding it just like 26" TX. Oh, and it's provides the same confidence at the Reign X on descents, without all the squish.
    Are you running a single ring or a front mech? Having any problems with the chain staying on? Press in bb with no tabs is a bit disappointing

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RancidSLP View Post
    From Pinkbike's first look:

At 6'2" in height, our size Large test Trance X 29 felt a bit reachy, even for trails of the absolute cross-country variety. If we were to spend an extended period aboard the Trance X 29, we'd mount something in the 70-80mm stem length for optimal comfort.
    Hopefully my LBS has a Medium I can try out too!

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb-ripper View Post
    Are you running a single ring or a front mech? Having any problems with the chain staying on? Press in bb with no tabs is a bit disappointing
    I run 2x10 on it. 28/38 with an 11-36. The direct-mount front derailleur standard is easily the slickest thing going right now. Very stiff interface, and very simple.

These days, there's really no reason not to embrace it IMO. The 2x cranksets have such stiff chainrings in close enough quarters that front shifting is tight and smooth, and chain rub isn't an issue. When matched with a clutch rear derailleur the drivetrain gets even quieter, and rarely throws chains when the going gets rough (especially in the big ring, when the chainwrap is greater, and the tension on the clutch increases).

I was a diehard proponent of 1x chainguide systems for 5 years, so I get where you're coming from. But these days, the only bike I have a chainguide on is my Glory. They've finally figured it out.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Is the stand over height right on on the geometry charts on Giant's website? For example a medium Trance X (26er) is 30" and medium Trance X 29er is 26.4" and a medium Anthem 29er is 30.3". This just seems odd to me that the TX 29er is so much lower than the other two.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks04 View Post
    Is the stand over height right on on the geometry charts on Giant's website? For example a medium Trance X (26er) is 30" and medium Trance X 29er is 26.4" and a medium Anthem 29er is 30.3". This just seems odd to me that the TX 29er is so much lower than the other two.
    The top tube on the TX 29er is much different than the other two bikes. The old TX 26er used to have a different top tube geometry which led to a lower stand over height as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    For those that have ordered a Trance X 29er without riding it. I sure hope you picked the right size frame. These bikes in particular run big in frame size. Just today I sold a Trance X2 29er to a guest that was 6' 2" (XL frame), it was later determined that he fit much better on a "L" frame.

I had a Trance X1 29er in a "M" frame and that was too big for me and I'm 5' 6". Wasn't too satisfied with the bike so I sold it on CL already. As for the bike availability our stores have all models in all sizes EXCEPT "XS" We got the X1's first, then X2's and about a week and a half ago we got the X0's.

My opinion on the Trance X1 29er vs. my 2012.5 Anthem X4 29er:
    For some reason the Trance X1 29er wasn't doing it for me. I dialed everything in over and over again. The guy I sold it to loves it immensely. I prefer that XC/race oriented bike. But as weird as this sounds, I rode the Trance X2 29er on the trail the other day and I loved it. The only major modification I would add to it would be a Rock Shox RL rear shock. As opposed the Monarch R it has on there (just rebound controls). The brakes and shifting felt much more fluid and smoother on the X2 model as opposed to the X1.

Now I'm stuck. Do I keep my 4" travel Anthem and upgrade my rear shock and eventually wheels, followed by front fork and brake set to make it the way I want...or...do I, sell the Anthem and get the Trance with 5" of travel, with the brakes I want on it already and just upgrade the shock and wheels over time (all I would change on the Trance)?

As for the 29er wheel, people can say what they want. I prefer rolling over obstacles...not going around them. I prefer pedaling and getting lots of speed and momentum, not pedaling my face off to keep others in my site.

Biggest difference between Trance and Anthem besides travel was frame geometry. As well as the slacked out angle of the seat post as opposed to the near straight up variance on the Anthem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I got a chance to demo both Anthem X advanced and Trance on Saturday. Biggest difference I could feel (other than suspension) was slacker head tube angle of Trance. More deliberate and slower turning bike than AX. The Giant demo guy said it was his fav Giant MTB...and he owns a AX. They are both great bikes...just slightly different use models.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My large Anthem X 29er next to my medium Trance X 29er.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Can you get a side profile shot of the 2 side by side?
    Current:
    2013 Giant Trance X2 29er

Previous:
    2012.5 Giant Anthem X4 29er (SOLD)
    2013 Giant Trance X1 29er (SOLD)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I tried, but it's hard because of the bars and depth of field.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Well think we can all vouch that the TX makes for easier stand over height.
    Current:
    2013 Giant Trance X2 29er

Previous:
    2012.5 Giant Anthem X4 29er (SOLD)
    2013 Giant Trance X1 29er (SOLD)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    So sizing aside, how did you guys feel about the ride of the Trance vs the Anthem? I was pretty much sold on the Anthem (I'm going to do a few XC races next year) but the Trance looks like a better all-arounder. I'll be upgrading from a hardtail, so the 4" travel on the Anthem will probably be enough for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JTAC View Post
    For those that have ordered a Trance X 29er without riding it. I sure hope you picked the right size frame. These bikes in particular run big in frame size. Just today I sold a Trance X2 29er to a guest that was 6' 2" (XL frame), it was later determined that he fit much better on a "L" frame.

I had a Trance X1 29er in a "M" frame and that was too big for me and I'm 5' 6".

This corresponds to the Giant sizing chart:

https://www17.corecommerce.com/~push...ng%20Guide.pdf

6'2" is right in the middle of a large.
    5'6" is right in the middle of a small.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j__h View Post
    This corresponds to the Giant sizing chart:

https://www17.corecommerce.com/~push...ng%20Guide.pdf

6'2" is right in the middle of a large.
    5'6" is right in the middle of a small.
    FYI - I was told today that this size guide, going around online, is bogus, and not from Giant, according to their Giant Rep. Just be cautious about using this as your sole fit guide.

I'm 5'11" and sat on a Large Tx29 today. It needed a 90mm stem (has 100), but other than that, I don't see how I would be comfortable on a Medium, but I'm waiting for them to get one, so I can see for myself. That fit guide says I should be on a Medium in everything... I ride a L anthem currently.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Oh interesting...

Yeah I actually tried to find that on Giants website and could not find it. I figured that nobody would put that much time to make a non official size chart for the Giant bikes... Looks like I was wrong. I got it from another thread here.

I am going to get a Trance X 29er medium. measurements, 5' 9.5"

The bike shop only had a medium and it felt fine... I hope that the others (maybe a small) is not a better fit.

CD1
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

... and if we just ... I like the TX 29

I am 5' 9" and I ride a medium in both bikes. I thought about keeping my Anthem, but I like the Trance enough that I just sold my Anthem. The Trance really climbs pretty good and makes up for anything lost climbing on the flat or the down hill. I replaced the brakes with SLX brakes (which are awesome) and I replaced the 2x10 for a 3 x10. The 2 x 10 really isn't nearly as bad as I thought, but there are some long climbs in my area that I prefer the lower gear. Bottom line I love the bike and would purchase the Trance over the Anthem for my type of riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trip221 View Post
    So sizing aside, how did you guys feel about the ride of the Trance vs the Anthem? I was pretty much sold on the Anthem (I'm going to do a few XC races next year) but the Trance looks like a better all-arounder. I'll be upgrading from a hardtail, so the 4" travel on the Anthem will probably be enough for me.
    For xc racing go for the anthem. If it's more trail/marathon/(light) enduro go for the trance.
    A friend of mine though said that he never has regret in his life bying a bike with bigger/more suspensions. Which he couldn't say for his xc race bikes. Him being a former belgian xc champion did it for me. So i've bought a trance. But i'm not going to ride xc races. If i did i'd go for the anthem.

mtbr member
    Have not ridden the TX29 so can't comment on it. But the AX29 is much more verstile than most realize.

A simple cockpit adjustment (shorter stem, higher rise wide bars) and possibly 120mm fork up front make a very capable trail machine. Going with a light wheelset and lowering the cockpit turns it instantly into a race machine. I've never felt like I needed more suspension at the rear, but at the front sometimes having 120mm can help on very rough terrain.

I've raced the AX29 and now have it setup more like a trail bike. It does both extremely well with the proper adjustments.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    FYI - I was told today that this size guide, going around online, is bogus, and not from Giant, according to their Giant Rep. Just be cautious about using this as your sole fit guide.

I'm 5'11" and sat on a Large Tx29 today. It needed a 90mm stem (has 100), but other than that, I don't see how I would be comfortable on a Medium, but I'm waiting for them to get one, so I can see for myself. That fit guide says I should be on a Medium in everything... I ride a L anthem currently.
    I just wanted to update, for others. I sat on a M Tx2. I prefer the M, with 100mm stem, but the seatpost is at max, and the seat is as far back as it can go, which is a concern. All with stock post (non-dropper, 20mm offset), seat, etc. The L just felt too large, by comparison, and the M was much more agile feeling. I think I am dead in between sizes, which makes the decision difficult. Not sure what to do.....

mtbr member
    Going by the Giant chart would mean both a 5'7 and 6' riders should fit on a M. That's a big height difference to be going for the same size. Tough choice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm 5'11", w/ a 32" inseam, and am going w/ large. The top tube is just too short on the M for my tastes, and the L is pretty close to my friend's L Camber and my 19" GF Paragon that I'm comfortable w/.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    I just wanted to update, for others. I sat on a M Tx2. I prefer the M, with 100mm stem, but the seatpost is at max, and the seat is as far back as it can go, which is a concern. All with stock post (non-dropper, 20mm offset), seat, etc. The L just felt too large, by comparison, and the M was much more agile feeling. I think I am dead in between sizes, which makes the decision difficult. Not sure what to do.....
    100mm stem is long, especially with the slack head angle.

An 80mm stem on the L will make it more agile.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Chart sizes alone are meaningless. You need torso + leg proportion to accurately determine reach + standover. Everyone is unique!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    For those who are interested in weights between the two bikes. Both have XT components.

Anthem advanced 1, Large, w/spd pedals, Australian spec = 12.0kgs(approx).
    Trance x 29er 0, Large, w/spd pedals, Australian spec = 13.5kgs(approx).

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    Going by the Giant chart would mean both a 5'7 and 6' riders should fit on a M. That's a big height difference to be going for the same size. Tough choice.
    Size charts will give you a guide, but Nothing can beat a proper test ride out on some trails.

And like a few of you out there, I've had a query about which is the right size Trance X29er ?

I'm 6' with a 34" inseam.

Finally got a chance to get out on the TX29er-0 today and according to the size chart I'm right on the border of M and L, so I took both sizes out for a good spin.

Now conventional wisdom says, if you are in between sizes or borderline, go for the smaller size frame. For reference, I've been riding a Medium Anthem X29er for over a year now.

Well............back to my opening point (nothing beats a test ride). I rode the M frame first. Felt good, more plush than my AX29, still climbed well (with Fox suspension set to climb), really nice to jump, confidence inspiring in the corners and lots of fun to descend. Yet, something just didn't quite click, couldn't exactly put my finger on what it was. My thought was maybe I just needed a bit more adjustment time from my AX29er.

Then I took out the L frame. A couple of minutes out on the trail and it was like this bike was an old friend. Everything just clicked!

The extra top tube length just felt right. I think I've found the next bike. And it goes to highlight how a good tet ride, back to back testing and going with what feels right for YOU is what really matters.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    How tall are you rancid?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    How tall are you rancid?
    6'

I needed a longer seatpost, but otherwise I'm happy with my medium.

SoCal Rider
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JTAC View Post
    Can you get a side profile shot of the 2 side by side?
    Ask and you shall receive:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trance X 29 vs Anthem X 29-gopr5573.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cms_atx View Post
    I'm 5'11", w/ a 32" inseam, and am going w/ large. The top tube is just too short on the M for my tastes, and the L is pretty close to my friend's L Camber and my 19" GF Paragon that I'm comfortable w/.
    I am 5'10" w/ a 31" inseam and currently ride a small 2009 Anthem X1, and will be test riding a S Trance 29er X0 in a couple weeks. Will test the M as well, but the S Anthem fits me perfectly. Interesting how even though we are within an inch of each other, we are two bike sizes apart

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post
    I am 5'10" w/ a 31" inseam and currently ride a small 2009 Anthem X1, and will be test riding a S Trance 29er X0 in a couple weeks. Will test the M as well, but the S Anthem fits me perfectly. Interesting how even though we are within an inch of each other, we are two bike sizes apart
    Wow, it's interesting to read that someone who is a good 6" taller than I am and an inseam 1 1/2" longer and we ride the same size bike? And yet the small Trance X 29er feels awesome to me and in no way does it feel too big. In fact, where others have been shoving the seat forward, I actually put mine back to about right in the middle of the rails and still have some bend in my arms. Of course the small also comes with a shorter stem (70mm). Just seems for someone of your height that a small would be too small? But you know, my friend has a small Anthem and that, to me, feels larger. I'll be interested to see which one you feel fits better. There really does seem to be a large fit margin with this bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    This shows how the suspension characteristics differ between both.
    [ Just compare Forces and Ignore Gradient]

It's not shown on these graphs, but the Tx 29 has lower antisquat and leverage ratio than the AX29er and 26" TX. It does show that the Tx 29 wil use it's travel easier than both the AX 29er and the 26" TX. It should climb similar on smooth climbs[ 10- 20mm travel] but sink in to it's travel more on technical climbs. On the way down it should soak up square edge hits smoother and sink deeper in to it's travel especially on seated g outs and drops.

Note your only getting 10 mm more travel with the Tx29er over the Ax29er but they should ride quite differently.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 10-27-2012 at 01:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by petey15 View Post
    Wow, it's interesting to read that someone who is a good 6" taller than I am and an inseam 1 1/2" longer and we ride the same size bike? And yet the small Trance X 29er feels awesome to me and in no way does it feel too big. In fact, where others have been shoving the seat forward, I actually put mine back to about right in the middle of the rails and still have some bend in my arms. Of course the small also comes with a shorter stem (70mm). Just seems for someone of your height that a small would be too small? But you know, my friend has a small Anthem and that, to me, feels larger. I'll be interested to see which one you feel fits better. There really does seem to be a large fit margin with this bike.
    I ended up buying the M. Had both the S and the M out on the trails for tests over the weekend, and they both worked for me, but I found the M felt a bit better. The S felt a bit too short and a bit cramped. Could have chucked a longer stem on, but the M just fit perfect.

Have managed three rides on the bike so far (demo'd the M and S, then bought my M and got a ride in on that), and love it. Am still getting the set up sorted, but this really is an awesome bike. Very much lived up to the hype in my eyes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    This shows how the suspension characteristics differ between both.
    [ Just compare Forces and Ignore Gradient]

It's not shown on these graphs, but the Tx 29 has lower antisquat and leverage ratio than the AX29er and 26" TX. It does show that the Tx 29 wil use it's travel easier than both the AX 29er and the 26" TX. It should climb similar on smooth climbs[ 10- 20mm travel] but sink in to it's travel more on technical climbs. On the way down it should soak up square edge hits smoother and sink deeper in to it's travel especially on seated g outs and drops.

Note your only getting 10 mm more travel with the Tx29er over the Ax29er but they should ride quite differently.
    Thats really interesting, but does it take into account the propedal/CTD settings on the suspension? I rode the Ax29er with the propedal platform, and the CTD platform (that is on my Tx29er) is significantly better imho. With only 10-15mm difference in total travel between the two, the Tx in D mode feels waaay longer than the Ax in the 'open' setting. And in the C mode, feels just as firm as the Ax with the propedal on. Tx wanders a bit more on climbs than the Ax, but I am going to flip my stem to get more weight forward and see if that helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    As you say it doesn't take in to count shock tune, that in itself makes a big difference. Giant has a custom tune and the 2011/ 2012 26" Tx boost valve shock tune was very soft compared to the same velocity tune on the Ax29er.That may carry over to the CTD shock on the 29er TX.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Actual wheelbase trance 29

Thought I would add some data on sizing, I am kind of a dweeb and carry a tape measure when test riding bikes. The trance 29 wheelbase specification on the giant website is easily 0.75 inches too short for the medium size, I confirmed this on the medium size for both the 0 level (fox fork) and the 2 level (rockshox). To be clear, the bikes are longer than the website indicates. Further measurements showed that this was due to a longer front center, because the chainstay is pretty close.

Given the shaping of modern seat tubes, and our ability to move saddle fore and aft, in my humble opinion the ETT is actually much less informative than the wheelbase minus the chainstay length (front center), along with the head tube angle of course. This suggests to me that those used to riding a large all mountain frame might find the medium a better fit.

So where is the error? Cant be sure, but...From eyeing the two bikes side by side, I also noticed that the head tube is notably slacker than the Santa Cruz tallboy ltc, which I also tested, even though the specifications from both manufacturers suggest that they are the same. I also noticed that the handling of the giant was a bit slower than the Santa Cruz, which is consistent with this observation. Could be that the head tube is slacker than specified and moves the front wheel out.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm the same, I always compare bikes using BB as datem. It stuffs things up a bit moving between wheel sizes though as you can get away with a shorter front centre on a 29er due to it's stability.

I thought the LTc was a bit steeper? I find the Fox forks steer a little slower than other brands with the same offset, possibly due to a bit of flex. You may find the LTc ,with it's carbon frame, is stiffer and has the same effect?My 09 TX 26", when I use a 140mm fork, steers much slower than other bikes with similar geometry. I can only put that down to frame flex,which is noticeable in other aspects of the ride.

How do you compare the two rear suspensions.Is there a huge difference in depth of travel feel? Giant seams to have gone to a very soft riding tune in recent years to improve sharp edge hit performance, relying on shock propedal and CTD settings to firm up the ride for climbing.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 12-26-2012 at 01:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    someone else bust out their tape measure and confirm this

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast