Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Trance X 29 vs Anthem X 29

For those lucky enough to throw a leg over the new Trance X, did you feel you gave up a lot in the climbing department to the Anthem X? Cheers J.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    The TX29 still climbs very well. If anything, I appreciate (and prefer) the slightly more compliant suspension on climbs, simply because it allows you to forget the small stuff and stay seated, which is ideal for slick sustained climbing. In fact, there aren't many times I notice it being "more bike" on the climbs unless it's pavement, or an end of the ride sprint back to the car.

Descending, and generally just shredding, is where the TX29 shines though. I always felt like the AX29 was a bit of a sled, without all the perks. It were always as if I was entering a turn, and it always came out of the arc too soon. I always chalked it up to the long chainstays. On the TX29, the chainstays are shorter, and it feels a bunch better when cornering aggressively. It follows a more predictable arc, and I find myself riding it just like 26" TX. Oh, and it's provides the same confidence at the Reign X on descents, without all the squish.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks Banshee. I love the Anthem but, with only one bike in my stable, it gets a little scary on the steep techy downhills. J

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey Banshee - how tall are you/what size did you ride? I've heard they run a bit big.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    I'm 5'11, lanky legs and arms, and ride a Large. I also ride a large TX26.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Cool, thanks. I'm 5'6" and glad I ordered a small when I started hearing about the long feel of it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I currently ride a large Anthem X 29er and have a Trance X1 29er on pre-order, also in large. I'm 6' tall and I think it will be a good fit. I'm guessing (or convincing myself) that similar height pro-riders would go for a smaller, lighter weight frame in exchange for comfort (when on the border of frame sizing).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RancidSLP View Post
    I currently ride a large Anthem X 29er and have a Trance X1 29er on pre-order, also in large. I'm 6' tall and I think it will be a good fit. I'm guessing (or convincing myself) that similar height pro-riders would go for a smaller, lighter weight frame in exchange for comfort (when on the border of frame sizing).
    At 5 11, I'm holding out, to sit on one. Hope they'll be some Os left to order. I usually ride a L, have a L Ax 26r, but after reading the article on the other thread... I don't know. If AC is riding a M, maybe I should too...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    im going through this debate myself. Time for a new ride, im going to wait till i can actually sit on a TX29

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    At 5'10 I ride a S anthem 26er (I am on the border, and can ride an M, but prefer the S) so will probably be on a S Trance 29er but want to wait till I can ride one first. Our dealer out here does not think they will get any until October!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I rode a TX29 this past weekend when the Giant Demo truck came to town. I'm 5'6" and the small was a perfect fit for me. BTW, it rode very well. I wasn't expecting that big of a differene from the TX26!! Might be my next bike if I can come up with the cash, as the 0 is pretty expensive.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Rally - thanks for the input. I've been a bit worried about it, even though I was pretty confident on my sizing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm 5'9", but with short legs (30" inseam). I ride a M Tx26r, but it looks like I will have to go with a S Tx29r. I'd rather it be moderately small than even a little big. Going to definitely sit/ride on one first though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider View Post
    The TX29 still climbs very well. If anything, I appreciate (and prefer) the slightly more compliant suspension on climbs, simply because it allows you to forget the small stuff and stay seated, which is ideal for slick sustained climbing. In fact, there aren't many times I notice it being "more bike" on the climbs unless it's pavement, or an end of the ride sprint back to the car.

Descending, and generally just shredding, is where the TX29 shines though. I always felt like the AX29 was a bit of a sled, without all the perks. It were always as if I was entering a turn, and it always came out of the arc too soon. I always chalked it up to the long chainstays. On the TX29, the chainstays are shorter, and it feels a bunch better when cornering aggressively. It follows a more predictable arc, and I find myself riding it just like 26" TX. Oh, and it's provides the same confidence at the Reign X on descents, without all the squish.
    Are you running a single ring or a front mech? Having any problems with the chain staying on? Press in bb with no tabs is a bit disappointing

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RancidSLP View Post
    From Pinkbike's first look:

At 6'2" in height, our size Large test Trance X 29 felt a bit reachy, even for trails of the absolute cross-country variety. If we were to spend an extended period aboard the Trance X 29, we'd mount something in the 70-80mm stem length for optimal comfort.
    Hopefully my LBS has a Medium I can try out too!

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb-ripper View Post
    Are you running a single ring or a front mech? Having any problems with the chain staying on? Press in bb with no tabs is a bit disappointing
    I run 2x10 on it. 28/38 with an 11-36. The direct-mount front derailleur standard is easily the slickest thing going right now. Very stiff interface, and very simple.

These days, there's really no reason not to embrace it IMO. The 2x cranksets have such stiff chainrings in close enough quarters that front shifting is tight and smooth, and chain rub isn't an issue. When matched with a clutch rear derailleur the drivetrain gets even quieter, and rarely throws chains when the going gets rough (especially in the big ring, when the chainwrap is greater, and the tension on the clutch increases).

I was a diehard proponent of 1x chainguide systems for 5 years, so I get where you're coming from. But these days, the only bike I have a chainguide on is my Glory. They've finally figured it out.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Is the stand over height right on on the geometry charts on Giant's website? For example a medium Trance X (26er) is 30" and medium Trance X 29er is 26.4" and a medium Anthem 29er is 30.3". This just seems odd to me that the TX 29er is so much lower than the other two.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks04 View Post
    Is the stand over height right on on the geometry charts on Giant's website? For example a medium Trance X (26er) is 30" and medium Trance X 29er is 26.4" and a medium Anthem 29er is 30.3". This just seems odd to me that the TX 29er is so much lower than the other two.
    The top tube on the TX 29er is much different than the other two bikes. The old TX 26er used to have a different top tube geometry which led to a lower stand over height as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    For those that have ordered a Trance X 29er without riding it. I sure hope you picked the right size frame. These bikes in particular run big in frame size. Just today I sold a Trance X2 29er to a guest that was 6' 2" (XL frame), it was later determined that he fit much better on a "L" frame.

I had a Trance X1 29er in a "M" frame and that was too big for me and I'm 5' 6". Wasn't too satisfied with the bike so I sold it on CL already. As for the bike availability our stores have all models in all sizes EXCEPT "XS" We got the X1's first, then X2's and about a week and a half ago we got the X0's.

My opinion on the Trance X1 29er vs. my 2012.5 Anthem X4 29er:
    For some reason the Trance X1 29er wasn't doing it for me. I dialed everything in over and over again. The guy I sold it to loves it immensely. I prefer that XC/race oriented bike. But as weird as this sounds, I rode the Trance X2 29er on the trail the other day and I loved it. The only major modification I would add to it would be a Rock Shox RL rear shock. As opposed the Monarch R it has on there (just rebound controls). The brakes and shifting felt much more fluid and smoother on the X2 model as opposed to the X1.

Now I'm stuck. Do I keep my 4" travel Anthem and upgrade my rear shock and eventually wheels, followed by front fork and brake set to make it the way I want...or...do I, sell the Anthem and get the Trance with 5" of travel, with the brakes I want on it already and just upgrade the shock and wheels over time (all I would change on the Trance)?

As for the 29er wheel, people can say what they want. I prefer rolling over obstacles...not going around them. I prefer pedaling and getting lots of speed and momentum, not pedaling my face off to keep others in my site.

Biggest difference between Trance and Anthem besides travel was frame geometry. As well as the slacked out angle of the seat post as opposed to the near straight up variance on the Anthem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I got a chance to demo both Anthem X advanced and Trance on Saturday. Biggest difference I could feel (other than suspension) was slacker head tube angle of Trance. More deliberate and slower turning bike than AX. The Giant demo guy said it was his fav Giant MTB...and he owns a AX. They are both great bikes...just slightly different use models.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My large Anthem X 29er next to my medium Trance X 29er.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Can you get a side profile shot of the 2 side by side?
    Current:
    2013 Giant Trance X2 29er

Previous:
    2012.5 Giant Anthem X4 29er (SOLD)
    2013 Giant Trance X1 29er (SOLD)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I tried, but it's hard because of the bars and depth of field.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Well think we can all vouch that the TX makes for easier stand over height.
    Current:
    2013 Giant Trance X2 29er

Previous:
    2012.5 Giant Anthem X4 29er (SOLD)
    2013 Giant Trance X1 29er (SOLD)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    So sizing aside, how did you guys feel about the ride of the Trance vs the Anthem? I was pretty much sold on the Anthem (I'm going to do a few XC races next year) but the Trance looks like a better all-arounder. I'll be upgrading from a hardtail, so the 4" travel on the Anthem will probably be enough for me.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast