Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Most shops have some wiggle room on price. You can also find better prices sometimes if you buy online, but if your LBS includes free tuneups if you buy a bike from them, it might be worth it to deal with them. See if they'll match a better price somewhere? The worst they can do is say no.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I would think this is on the lower end of pricing, but shop near me has Trance X 29er 1 for $2399 and Anthem X 29er 1 for $2499.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Where would that be as far as a location?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Probably a bit far from you - South FL. The time it took to drive and gas would eat up the savings...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hdpjr View Post
    Anyone got any advice? I ride trails in Georgia! Thx
    What trails do you ride in GA? I have both the AX29 and TX29 and have ridden many of the trails in the ATL and N. GA and might be able to help with my opinion

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Stinky in Ptree city, blankets in canton, ellijay and Chatsworth ga. Any help is appreciated

mtbr member
    Never ridden Stinky, but have ridden Blankets and many of the trails in Ellijay. In fact, I took both bikes with me in Nov for a weekend at Mulberry Gap. For reference, I have the 2012 Anthem XO and the Trance 29 X1. For those trails, the TX29 was more fun. You could definitely feel the extra weight on the climbs, so they took more effort but the payoff was much better once the trail turned downhill. For trails around the metro area, like Blankets, Chicopee Woods, Ft. Yargo, etc, the AX29 would be MY choice. Those trails are mostly smooth, fast GA red clay, so the extra travel of the TX has little to no advantage. I wonder if the AX29 wouldn't be the better choice considering that you're coming off a hardtail. You might find that the TX suspension is a little too active. All the trails you mentioned are well within the capability of both bikes. It just boils down to your style of riding and whether you put more emphasis on efficiency at the expense of some descending prowess (AX29) or want to haul ass downhill and don't mind lugging a heavier/slightly less efficient bike around the rest of the time (TX29). Really, your best bet would be to throw your leg over both bikes to see what you think. It's a bit surprising that a large city like ATL with a substantial cycling base doesn't have a shop with some demo fleet.

On the components, personally I prefer Shimano over SRAM but I wouldn't let that be a factor in your decision. Both operate great and will be a huge upgrade over what you have now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    yes, "with pics" is the MOST important aspect here lol

Your Best Friend
    Like I mentioned earlier, Shimano vs. Sram really shouldn't be an issue. Those two bikes are very similar in their component spec. The brakes on the Anthem are a step above the Trances.

Either bike would serve you very well. If you are jonesing for a new bike and want it now, you really would be happy with the Anthem if that is what you have to have. I have an Anthem and I decided it is probably the best all around bike I've ever owned. I have also ridden a Trance X29er and while it's fun, it is a harder bike to climb on due to its geometry and we have A LOT of climbing here in Utah.

What size bike are you looking for BTW?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Medium

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have owned both and still have the Trance. The Anthem suspension felt a lot firmer than the Trance and the bike was an amazing climber, it pratically pedaled itself up hills. I found it not so good for singletrack though, the bike felt long to me and took a lot to get used to.

The Trance while being a very capable climber doesnt ascend as well as the Anthem but still cimbs very well. I find it is better at the downs and singletrack, the bike doesnt feel as long as the Anthem (even though its longer). The suspension is more more plusher, it feels the difference is more than the 20mm. The Trance feels like it wants to do jumps, drops and wheelies where as the Anthem didnt. The Trance is a much more fun bike. The Anthem is ideal for XC racing and all day missions imo

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post
    ........I have owned both and still have the Trance. The Anthem suspension felt a lot firmer than the Trance....
    Factor this point into your decision, its very true. A mate with a Anthem 29er sat on my Trance and said mine was like sitting on a cloud in comparison.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post
    I have owned both and still have the Trance. The Anthem suspension felt a lot firmer than the Trance
    DId your Anthem have RockShox suspension?

I have an 2012 AX29er2 w/RockShox front & rear suspension. It is a great bike that I plan on keeping. I want something more plush for riding more technical trails as the AX is a stiff ride. I'd also like more travel. I'll be demoing a Trance x1 in a few weeks. Then its the decision of a new bike (TX1 or Stumpjumper FSR Comp) or look into swapping out the fork on the AX with a Fox.....
    2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2012 Giant Anthem x2

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jclyle View Post
    DId your Anthem have RockShox suspension?

I have an 2012 AX29er2 w/RockShox front & rear suspension. It is a great bike that I plan on keeping. I want something more plush for riding more technical trails as the AX is a stiff ride. I'd also like more travel. I'll be demoing a Trance x1 in a few weeks. Then its the decision of a new bike (TX1 or Stumpjumper FSR Comp) or look into swapping out the fork on the AX with a Fox.....

Yes it had a SID on the Front and RT3 on the back

mtbr member
    Renting an AX29er tomorrow to see how it compares. Although im really only interested in TX29er to 26" TX, the bike shop doesnt have any TX29ers for rent so im hoping I can kind of compare the 26 to the AX29 to get a feel of the different speeds and know that the TX29 will more than likely meet somewhere in the middle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You need to be runing lots of sag[ 33 to 35%] in the Ax to get it to feel more trail rather than race. That way it would be closer to the TX in climb and descent. Tighten it up on race day.

mtbr member
    Was not expecting the AX29 to be so different or for me to like it so much. I wasnt running out of steam nearly as easy and was also riding faster and doing more technical trails. Wasnt expecting it to be so willing to climb either. Looking forward to renting a TX29 on sunday (they do have them, the other employee was mistaken).

After the first couple miles I was trying to convince myself that the 26" trance I had rented was setup wrong, but after the first trail I was grinning for the rest of the ride. The new bike will definitely have big wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post

It's not shown on these graphs, but the Tx 29 has lower antisquat and leverage ratio than the AX29er and 26" TX. It does show that the Tx 29 wil use it's travel easier than both the AX 29er and the 26" TX. It should climb similar on smooth climbs[ 10- 20mm travel] but sink in to it's travel more on technical climbs. On the way down it should soak up square edge hits smoother and sink deeper in to it's travel especially on seated g outs and drops.

Note your only getting 10 mm more travel with the Tx29er over the Ax29er but they should ride quite differently.
    Could you elaborate on this, esp. leverage ratio difference between AX29 and TX29?

I try to decide between AX29 and TX29. As much as I want a 29er FS that "bombs a stair case like it isn't even there", I want it to "practically pedal itself uphills" too . But, being on the heavy side (~300 lbs), I am mostly concerned about not being able to set sag properly without exceeding maximum shock PSI. What bicycle of the two would be more preferable for me in this respect?

Also, with respect to static load capacity (PSI vs spring rate) of the shock should I look for RockShox or Fox if there is a choice?
    Last edited by standa11; 01-23-2013 at 07:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by akaBrowntown View Post
    Was not expecting the AX29 to be so different or for me to like it so much. I wasnt running out of steam nearly as easy and was also riding faster and doing more technical trails. Wasnt expecting it to be so willing to climb either. Looking forward to renting a TX29 on sunday (they do have them, the other employee was mistaken).

After the first couple miles I was trying to convince myself that the 26" trance I had rented was setup wrong, but after the first trail I was grinning for the rest of the ride. The new bike will definitely have big wheels.
    So did you get to try the Trance? If so, what was the verdict?

mtbr member
    No, I think the guy was getting the small AX29er confused with the trance, as the smalls have the bent top tube. I ended up riding an AX29 again, this time on a large however (medium before). I really do like the Anthem, and man do I love climbing on it.

I rode the Trance 29er around the parking lot when I got back, and ended up ordering a TX29er 2. The AX29er 4 and Tx29er 2 are the same price, and are the highest I was willing to spend.

The reasons for this was:
    1. I really enjoy downhills and jumps/drops, the slacker head tube and extra travel helped this choice. I did some of this on the Anthem and it felt fine though, but I can imagine myself getting into bigger stuff soon.
    2. When I rented the medium AX29 it had a SRAM 2x10 setup. I liked this alot as well, and more so than the 3x10 on the large AX. The TX 2 comes with a similar 2x10, and the 4 comes with Shimano 3x10. Also the shifters are SRAM on the Trance and Shimano on the Anthem, and im used to the SRAM stuff.
    3. I am not crazy about the blue that comes on the lowest Anthem, and really like the black/grey/yellow on the lowest Trance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post
    Probably a bit far from you - South FL. The time it took to drive and gas would eat up the savings...
    Where in south Florida?? I live here and want to purchase an Anthem. For an X1 that seems like a deal.

Also I'm 5'11. And suggestions in going medium or large frame. I currently ride a talon large frame, and have ridden a medium frame 26 in the past.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Sent you a PM. As far as height, I'll speak from my experience as you seem to be on the cusp of medium and large frames. I'm 5'8", and while many would suggest a small Anthem 29er for me, the one I rented was a Medium and fit like a glove. It's not exactly your situation, but similar dilemma I suppose. Bottom line though is try them both, I tried a small briefly too and it wasn't for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I would think this is on the lower end of pricing, but shop near me has Trance X 29er 1 for $2399 and Anthem X 29er 1 for $2499.
    Could you please send me the information on this bike shop? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Pm sent. I need the info too, thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Test rode both this weekend. Both were a lot of fun. For me, slight edge goes to the trance because its a more plush suspension without really giving up anything. The geo was right on for handling the tight stuff. Large felt like all of the other larges I've ridden. I don't know where all this "runs big " stuff comes from. Anthem had slightly better climbing/pedaling when you really get into it but at the expense of some comfort.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast