Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    Does anyone want my stinkin Gobi saddle? i'll sell it to you cheap. its a taint splitter! (then again, it's marketed towards boy's bums)
    Trust me, it's just as uncomfortable for boy's bums. I'm about to swap mine for a Prologo choice max.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    For the folks with the X1, what size front HS1 rotor did your bike come with? Specs on Giant site call for a 180 but my X1 came with a 170 which is kind of an oddball size that I don't anticipate many shops stocking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My Trance x1 is coming this weekend. Got the latest copy of "What Mountain Bike" this morning and to my surprise it gave the Trance X29 (0) a poor 3.5/5 review? Usual media cons of 135mm rear dropout and no chain device mount... but what surprised me was the talk of how flexible the bikes.

From WMB: "Perhaps inevitably the lightweight alloy frame does flex noticeably when you start to drill it into corners or try and drive it across the natural grain of the trail"

This is the first time I've heard any mention of flex in this bike. As I'm a Clyde rider, flex can be magnified with my 6'4" size. Anyone else experience the same flex. Can anyone compare the flex to a Tallboy LT?

Some other comments form the review...

"The X29 is on the lighter XC side of the trail spectrum"

"Sizing your Trance X29 right is crucial. Like many full suspension 29ers, the very slack, backward-pointing seat tube means it's easy to put weight too far back if your running a lot of seatpost. If your arse is over the axle then the front wheel will wash out too easily in corners and you'll continually have to force your weight forward on climbs which soon gets irritating."
    Last edited by Jmal26; 10-25-2012 at 03:53 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmal26 View Post
    "Sizing your Trance X29 right is crucial. Like many full suspension 29ers, the very slack, backward-pointing seat tube means it's easy to put weight too far back if your running a lot of seatpost. If your arse is over the axle then the front wheel will wash out too easily in corners and you'll continually have to force your weight forward on climbs which soon gets irritating."
    To be perfectly honest, I'm seeing the same thing on really steep climbing stuff. There's one specific trail here that's fairly tough, with some really steep climbing/turns while climbing, and I'm having a hard time keeping the front end from wandering. I thought I'd get used to it, but it is starting to get annoying to have to work that hard to keep the front end down.

Edit: I'm not feeling any flex like they were talking about, but I'm 150ish, so that might make a difference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    [QUOTE=Jmal26;9813676]My Trance x1 is coming this weekend. Got the latest copy of "What Mountain Bike" this morning and to my surprise it gave the Trance X29 (0) a poor 3.5/5 review? Usual media cons of 135mm rear dropout and no chain device mount... but what surprised me was the talk of how flexible the bikes.

From WMB: "Perhaps inevitably the lightweight alloy frame does flex noticeably when you start to drill it into corners or try and drive it across the natural grain of the trail"

This is the first time I've heard any mention of flex in this bike. As I'm a Clyde rider, flex can be magnified with my 6'4" size. Anyone else experience the same flex. Can anyone compare the flex to a Tallboy LT?

I'm 6'3" 190lbs, riding an X/L and riding some pretty rocky tech trails (although not that aggressive) and have not noticed any flex to speak of. I swapped out to a shorter stem, and I find this bike to be a great climber, with the only limitations being "me"! After reading numerous reviews, this is the first I've heard of this bike being flexible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    [/QUOTE] l'm 6'3" 190lbs, riding an X/L and riding some pretty rocky tech trails (although not that aggressive) and have not noticed any flex to speak of. I swapped out to a shorter stem, and I find this bike to be a great climber, with the only limitations being "me"! After reading numerous reviews, this is the first I've heard of this bike being flexible.[/QUOTE]

The flex was to big surprise as I have not read anything about this anywhere before. But sometimes these magazines can have a hidden agenda with reviews so a pinch of salt can be required The Trance X29 is only reaching the UK and Ireland now so I could not even test ride one for myself. My LBS cannot get anymore stock here till Feb 2013!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My LBS just got an unofficial model that slots above the X0. It's the same as the X0, ex. w/ XTR brakes, shifters, carbon seatpost, and carbon cockpit. MSRP is $4650. My X0 should arrive next week, I can't wait!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    [QUOTE=Z4good;9814141]
    My Trance x1 is coming this weekend. Got the latest copy of "What Mountain Bike" this morning and to my surprise it gave the Trance X29 (0) a poor 3.5/5 review? Usual media cons of 135mm rear dropout and no chain device mount... but what surprised me was the talk of how flexible the bikes.

I'm 6'3" 190lbs, riding an X/L and riding some pretty rocky tech trails (although not that aggressive) and have not noticed any flex to speak of. I swapped out to a shorter stem, and I find this bike to be a great climber, with the only limitations being "me"! After reading numerous reviews, this is the first I've heard of this bike being flexible.
    I've used the F120 on my Ax29er and noticed quite a bit of flex from that fork. What were they referring too. Front or rear end flex.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    [QUOTE=gvs_nz;9815749]
    Quote Originally Posted by Z4good View Post

I've used the F120 on my Ax29er and noticed quite a bit of flex from that fork. What were they referring too. Front or rear end flex.
    From WMB: "Perhaps inevitably the lightweight alloy frame does flex noticeably when you start to drill it into corners or try and drive it across the natural grain of the trail. Its a consistent and controlled load and relaxed response, however, rather than a load-up-and-sudden-twang-loose one that wants to high side you if your not carefull. The flex is spread equally through fork, frame and wheels which helps make it more manageable and forgivable. Like alot of relatively flexy but still great to ride, its certainly not sore of grip and I'll-find-my-own-way-through-stuff rough terrain ability

SUMMARY
    The trance X29 is definitelly on the lighter, cross country side of the trail spectrum, with a flexible but super-entertaining, agile ride. It's serious fun on the way up, the way down and while whipping along the single track in between. However there are potential weight dirtrubution issues if your at the top end of a given size, and the X29 is expensive when you compare it to already estabilished competition."

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    [QUOTE=Jmal26;9815869]
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post

From WMB: "Perhaps inevitably the lightweight alloy frame does flex noticeably when you start to drill it into corners or try and drive it across the natural grain of the trail. Its a consistent and controlled load and relaxed response, however, rather than a load-up-and-sudden-twang-loose one that wants to high side you if your not carefull. The flex is spread equally through fork, frame and wheels which helps make it more manageable and forgivable. Like alot of relatively flexy but still great to ride, its certainly not sore of grip and I'll-find-my-own-way-through-stuff rough terrain ability

SUMMARY
    The trance X29 is definitelly on the lighter, cross country side of the trail spectrum, with a flexible but super-entertaining, agile ride. It's serious fun on the way up, the way down and while whipping along the single track in between. However there are potential weight dirtrubution issues if your at the top end of a given size, and the X29 is expensive when you compare it to already estabilished competition."
    Yeah, I think the main reason WMB gave the X29 0 a 3.5 star score is the UK pricing. I can understand that as I saw the UK price is £3499. The current exchange rate makes that just over $5,400 AUD or $5,600 USD. The Australian RRP for an X29er 0 is $3799 AUD and you should be able to get it for a bit less from your LBS. I've been wondering what the rating would have been if the prices were comparable to here in Aus and am typing up WMB a letter to ask

Also remember on WMB rating system, 3 is "good - do the job and do it well" and 4 is "very good - one of the best you can buy".

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    [QUOTE=cozzal;9815968]

Yeah, I think the main reason WMB gave the X29 0 a 3.5 star score is the UK pricing. I can understand that as I saw the UK price is £3499. The current exchange rate makes that just over $5,400 AUD or $5,600 USD. The Australian RRP for an X29er 0 is $3799 AUD and you should be able to get it for a bit less from your LBS. I've been wondering what the rating would have been if the prices were comparable to here in Aus and am typing up WMB a letter to ask

Also remember on WMB rating system, 3 is "good - do the job and do it well" and 4 is "very good - one of the best you can buy".
    Looks like we're getting ripped off in Europe again... X1 is €2499 here. That's a little over 3K AUD! Close to the price of the X0? Wonder what shipping cost would be from Australia?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Every 2nd bike in Australia and New Zealand is nearly a Giant. Possibly because pricing down here for Giants has always been very sharp.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    [QUOTE=Jmal26;9815869]

SUMMARY
    Can't say I notice any on the Ax29er so it must be just a TX29er thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    [QUOTE=Jmal26;9815869]

SUMMARY
    Of all the reviews I've read to date, this is the first one to even mention flex through the frame...and its got some really good reviews. I would agree with the sizing issue if your near the top end of a given size.

see me rollin, they hatin
    looking at it, you'd see how the front end could be "light". honestly, i climb better on this bike than any other. must be a traction thing.
    fap

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    [QUOTE=gvs_nz;9816071]

Can't say I notice any on the Ax29er so it must be just a TX29er thing.
    I notice flex on the rear of my AX29, but that could also be due to the Stans Crest wheelset i run.

I just ordered an X1 today, but im told we (New Zealand) arent likely to get them until week 52

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    [QUOTE=VERT1;9816800]

I notice flex on the rear of my AX29, but that could also be due to the Stans Crest wheelset i run.

I just ordered an X1 today, but im told we (New Zealand) arent likely to get them until week 52
    Which size did you get mate? My small is coming week 46 (2 weeks away) - I'm in Welly.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    [QUOTE=tanivula;9816836]
    Quote Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post

Which size did you get mate? My small is coming week 46 (2 weeks away) - I'm in Welly.

Medium, where what shop you getting yours from I'm in Welly too

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    [QUOTE=VERT1;9816884]
    Quote Originally Posted by tanivula View Post

Medium, where what shop you getting yours from I'm in Welly too
    Cool, I ordered my X1 from Cycle Science in Lower Hutt. They said the M + L are coming after the S, but didn't think it was w52.

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    looking at it, you'd see how the front end could be "light". honestly, i climb better on this bike than any other. must be a traction thing.
    I agree, Nicole. My friend who rides an Anthem X 29er said she wondered when I put a motor up my you-know-what - I'm climbing much better. As far as being light in the front, maybe? But I have had other bikes that were much worse and wandered all over the place. I'm not finding any major issues with that at all. Riding a small and being on the lighter end of the spectrum (compared to the guys reporting), I haven't noticed any flex and the bike has been railing corners. It's awesome having a 29er that feels like it was built for me!

yeah, i'd feel hardcore if i ever had the capacity to flex a bike!
    fap

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I got my bike yesterday. Medium x1. All I can say is wow. This is my first 29er. Rebuilt the whole thing from ground up and went tubeless ASAP. Chopped 1/2" off each side of handle bar. The only thi g I don't like is the brakes are load. Hopefully they break in.
    As far as flex. I fell nothing but super confident and completely in tune with this machine. Can't wait for my first trail ride.

Btw. I weighed in with a nice set of spd's, tubeless with Stan's, and a inner tube chain gaurd at just over 30lbs. And for all the people who are taping about chain keepers I think u miss the fact of the type 2 derailer, which is slick!

I also added about 10% more air to both shocks.
    This bike is much heavier feeling than my older Jon tomac giant hardtail. I climbed like a goat on that bike. This bike should be fantastic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    [QUOTE=VERT1;9816800]

I only had rear end flex with the original crossmarks. Nothing since swapping the tires out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Mine has a 170 front rotor as well! Is this bad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a couple of questions about the new Trance 9er. I do have to admit I have not searched through the whole thread and I know the bike is pretty new so the answers might not even be out there yet.

1. What is the widest tire you can fir in the rear? Will a 2.4 Ardent or a 2.35 Rampage fit?

2. Has anyone thrown an Fox F34 spacered down to say 130mm on yet? Or even down to 120mm?

I am really interested in this frame since it seems to tick all the boxes that I am looking for and comes in nicely under my budget. Though I have to say the posts about the review saying the bike is flexy makes me nervous at 225 pounds without gear.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

... and if we just ...

Three short rides in and each ride gets better. I am riding in the T position and the bike simply eats up the trail noise (roots and rocks) and is über fun to ride. I am a Clydesdale and have not noticed any flex. The bike just likes to go and go and I have a great reason to improve my conditioning. It is an awesome bike and does what it is advertised. I recommend it to everyone looking for a trail bike with 5" of travel. Is it a race bike? Nah though I may race it on the Huck a Nuck next summer as I just ride faster than I ever did on my old Trance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmanincary View Post
    Three short rides in and each ride gets better. I am riding in the T position and the bike simply eats up the trail noise (roots and rocks) and is über fun to ride. I am a Clydesdale and have not noticed any flex. The bike just likes to go and go and I have a great reason to improve my conditioning. It is an awesome bike and does what it is advertised. I recommend it to everyone looking for a trail bike with 5" of travel. Is it a race bike? Nah though I may race it on the Huck a Nuck next summer as I just ride faster than I ever did on my old Trance.
    Thank you for the reply. What model do you have? How much clearance is there in the rear for tires?

How have the Giant branded whhels on the X0 been holding up for those who have them?
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Can someone share some close up pictures on how the internal cable routing is for the seat post, front and back derailleur and the brakes?
    My LBS doesn't seem to know what they are doing.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Got my bike finally, Tx29erXO and love it. I was a bit worried I had built it up too much in my head and it would inevitably be a bit of a let down when I finally got to ride it, but nope, this one lives up to the hype! It really is like cheating on this bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bludshroom View Post
    Can someone share some close up pictures on how the internal cable routing is for the seat post, front and back derailleur and the brakes?
    My LBS doesn't seem to know what they are doing.

Thanks
    The bike shop where my bike was assembled screwed up a number of things... but I think they got the routing correct, let me know if you would like any other pics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Wow, that rear brake run doesn't look good at all! You're going to get lots off rubbing there against the rear wheel from three looks of it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It is a camera perspective issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j__h View Post
    The bike shop where my bike was assembled screwed up a number of things... but I think they got the routing correct, let me know if you would like any other pics.
    Thanks for the close up pic. I just sent to my LBS and they finally seem to know how to route them.

What are the other things that the screwed up? I'm getting my back in 14 hours, and am afraid that I wouldn't be able to check out the bike completly before taking it out for a spin.
    Thanks

WAITING IS ALWAYS THE HARDEST PART.
    Last edited by Bludshroom; 10-29-2012 at 04:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for the close up pic. I just sent to my LBS and they finally seem to know how to route them.

What are the other things that the screwed up? I'm getting my back in 14 hours, and am afraid that I wouldn't be able to check out the bike completly before taking it out for a spin.
    Thanks

WAITING IS ALWAYS THE HARDEST PART.
    I thought all the cables come internally routed from the factory, with the exception of the rear brake? That's how mine came. Yes could you let us know what other things were screwed up on your build?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The seatpost and rear brake don't.
    As far as a bigger fork goes, I don't think many people have multiple 1.5"-1.25" tapered forks to swap.
    For those of you that have fox equipment
    There is a cool app for iPhones that calculates weight settings and also uses the camera to look at sag and makes adjustments based on how far the travel ring moved. Pretty nice if u ask me.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewitt501 View Post
    Anyone else think the seat tube angle looks silly slack? Going to be a nightmare to setup for someone with long legs and a shorter reach.
    It's really not that slack. Draw a line from the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube. That is the effective seat tube angle. What you see is giant making space for more travel and shorter stays than the Anthem 29er. It just looks worse than it is.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Thanks
    Glad I could be of assistance.

What else they screwed up? Oh man, get ready!
    Number one issue was this: I heard creaking from the front brake when stopped so I opened it up to investigate.

Hmmm. that does not look right and this is after riding about 3,000ft.

Wow... the bracket is on upside down, and the cupped washers are spaced incorrectly in order to have the rotor not hit the caliper with the upside down bracket.

(this is the correct way, the part that is dark is the one to notice and the cupped washers)

In addition they were not able to source the olive and insert so they could internally route the rear brake. I had to get one from another bike shop and deliver it. The ETA of the bike was a week later due to waiting for that olive and insert. I only found out about the inability to source when I called the day before it was set to be done including the 1 week delay. Then they forgot to put back the zerk cap for bleeding the rear brake. Also, bolts on the downtube to route the rear brake line if routed externally were removed leaving holes for mud, I have replaced them with nylon bolts. They also placed the lever for the dropper seat on the wrong side of the shifter. Finally, on my third ride which was yesterday my handlebars came loose due to what I suspect was not enough torque on the 4 stem bolts (vs them loosening after proper torque).

mtbr member
    Lol at the bracket!!!

Did the trance 29er X0 comes with a shock pump?
    my lbs kept asking me over the phone if I want a shock pump!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Lol at the bracket!!!

Did the trance 29er X0 comes with a shock pump?
    my lbs kept asking me over the phone if I want a shock pump!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    It did not come with a shock pump, the bike shop did not ask and I already have one anyways.

Oh, make sure you get the presta tubeless valves they do come with the bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks for reminding!
    I'm still afraid they would con me tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    [QUOTE=j__h;9826241]Glad I could be of assistance.

Wow... the bracket is on upside down, and the cupped washers are spaced incorrectly in order to have the rotor not hit the caliper with the upside down bracket.

(this is the correct way, the part that is dark is the one to notice and the cupped washers)

To me it looks like the problem is they are using a 180mm disc adaptor with a 160mm disc? A 160mm disc shouldn't need an adaptor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    it is a 180mm disc.
    Last edited by j__h; 10-29-2012 at 03:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    In addition they were not able to source the olive and insert so they could internally route the rear brake. I had to get one from another bike shop and deliver it. The ETA of the bike was a week later due to waiting for that olive and insert. I only found out about the inability to source when I called the day before it was set to be done including the 1 week delay. Then they forgot to put back the zerk cap for bleeding the rear brake. Also, bolts on the downtube to route the rear brake line if routed externally were removed leaving holes for mud, I have replaced them with nylon bolts. They also placed the lever for the dropper seat on the wrong side of the shifter. Finally, on my third ride which was yesterday my handlebars came loose due to what I suspect was not enough torque on the 4 stem bolts (vs them loosening after proper torque).[/QUOTE]

Wow. Glad to see you were able to get that all sorted. I had to run out and check mine over, but it looks like they got it all correct. Does your reference guide you linked to come from a build manual? Nice diagram!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    it comes from shimano website, it is what they call a tech doc

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    it is a 180mm disc.
    Just looked suspiciously like a 160mm disc. is it the right adaptor? Front and rear are usually different heights and reversed.Seems bizarre the frame doesn't have 180mm post mounts if that's the OEM size.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 10-29-2012 at 05:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just looked suspiciously like a 160mm disc. is it the right adaptor? Front and rear are usually different heights and reversed.Seems bizarre the frame doesn't have 180mm post mounts if that's the OEM size.
    Fronts 180mm. Rear 160mm.

mtbr member
    Just wanted to say, It hasn't rained for almost 4 months, and TODAY, THE DAY I GOT MY BIKE. It started to Rain.....
    Not sure when I will get to test it. but hopefully tomorrow..

mtbr member
    Hi j__h,
    Would you be able to share some more pics of the rear brake cable setup?
    The rear brake cables of mine are in the BB instead of internally.

Also, how hard is it will be to set those back inside the frame?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hi j__h,
    Would you be able to share some more pics of the rear brake cable setup?
    The rear brake cables of mine are in the BB instead of internally.

Also, how hard is it will be to set those back inside the frame?
    Thanks
    The bike shop did it for me but you will have to buy a olive and insert for the brake line as you will need to disconnect it to run it through the frame. Then you will need to bleed the brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Z4good View Post
    Fronts 180mm. Rear 160mm.
    And it looks like a 160mm disc to me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    it is a 180mm disc.
    Were thay supposed to fit a 180mm disc for you but forgot? Still looks like a 160mm disc with a 180mm adapter to me?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Were thay supposed to fit a 180mm disc for you but forgot? Still looks like a 160mm disc with a 180mm adapter to me?

Maybe this will be a little more clear?

mtbr member
    The bike shop did it for me but you will have to buy a olive and insert for the brake line as you will need to disconnect it to run it through the frame. Then you will need to bleed the brakes.
    Sounds hard already, I will just have mine at the BB for now.

****** LBS, I had to ask them if it came with the Tubeless Presta Valve for them to hand them to me.

I'm not good yet at bike repairing,
    Can someone tell me why my front derailleur makes a LOUD click when I try to shift from the Large crankset to Small crankset?

Also, is there any guideline on how to trim the dropper seat post cable? and how hard it is?
    I am a computer engineer, I think I can handle some cables LOL.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Sounds hard already, I will just have mine at the BB for now.

****** LBS, I had to ask them if it came with the Tubeless Presta Valve for them to hand them to me.

I'm not good yet at bike repairing,
    Can someone tell me why my front derailleur makes a LOUD click when I try to shift from the Large crankset to Small crankset?

Also, is there any guideline on how to trim the dropper seat post cable? and how hard it is?
    I am a computer engineer, I think I can handle some cables LOL.

Thanks in advance
    The dropper seat post cable should be trimmed to the proper length by your shop, as part of the build. My LBS ran my brake cable internally, ( I don't have dropper seat post), but I read some shops charge extra.

Loud click when shifting? You will hear it, but have your shop look at it to be sure. Have fun riding!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazdad View Post
    For those of you that have fox equipment
    There is a cool app for iPhones that calculates weight settings and also uses the camera to look at sag and makes adjustments based on how far the travel ring moved. Pretty nice if u ask me.
    Whats the app called?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Fox ird

My bike x1 has 170 front maybe the shimano stuff is 180
    The brake needs to be disconnected at the lever. Cut and reinstalled with new crush ring after the re route. Very simple.

The seat is very easy as well.
    Take of the one and only bolt in the seat post where the saddle meets. On the drivers side of the post there is a small Allen bolt. Just loosen this and re route cable through frame. Use a different derailer cable because you will likely be shortening the cable by 10" or so. Make sure your seat functions well before cutting the line. I found that a slight amount of preload was nice as it only took minimal switch effort to engage the seat.

Btw. I used the app. Worked really well. I redid the whole settings because on the maiden ride I felt that the small bump sensitivity was not there. Maybe a warranty claim.

Plain and simple fact that this bike is 4+ stars out of 5 for me. I keep right up with my buddy on his anthem with full xo. I can't wait to get some nice parts on here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post
    Whats the app called?
    FOX iRD

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ^ thanks guys, just found it...very cool!

mtbr member
    Fox ird

My bike x1 has 170 front maybe the shimano stuff is 180
    The brake needs to be disconnected at the lever. Cut and reinstalled with new crush ring after the re route. Very simple.

The seat is very easy as well.
    Take of the one and only bolt in the seat post where the saddle meets. On the drivers side of the post there is a small Allen bolt. Just loosen this and re route cable through frame. Use a different derailer cable because you will likely be shortening the cable by 10" or so. Make sure your seat functions well before cutting the line. I found that a slight amount of preload was nice as it only took minimal switch effort to engage the seat.

Btw. I used the app. Worked really well. I redid the whole settings because on the maiden ride I felt that the small bump sensitivity was not there. Maybe a warranty claim.

Plain and simple fact that this bike is 4+ stars out of 5 for me. I keep right up with my buddy on his anthem with full xo. I can't wait to get some nice parts on here.

I was able to take those apart.
    Can I just cut the cable housing using a wire cutter? and Can I just use the same cable??

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    U might be able to get away with the same cable if u can get the frayed ends through the tiny hole. And yes wire cutter will work. Make sure to fix the inside tube of cable after cutting.

mtbr member
    U might be able to get away with the same cable if u can get the frayed ends through the tiny hole. And yes wire cutter will work. Make sure to fix the inside tube of cable after cutting.
    Thanks a lot.
    First I used my antique cable cutter and screwed up a lil. then I went down to tool shop to get my self a good one, and I did it.. I was able to trim it down.
    Thanks again and again and again

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hi all just curious how prices here in my location compare to others.

X1 $2525
    X0 $3100

This for the trance 29er of course. I am helping a few friends shop for a new bike.

mtbr member
    Where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by Kojie View Post

X1 $2525
    X0 $3100

This for the trance 29er of course. I am helping a few friends shop for a new bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojie View Post

X1 $2525
    X0 $3100

I see that you are in the Philippines from your profile. If those prices are US dollars then they are the best I've seen. Pricing may have something to do with your proximity of Taiwan for shipping.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cozzal View Post
    I see that you are in the Philippines from your profile. If those prices are US dollars then they are the best I've seen. Pricing may have something to do with your proximity of Taiwan for shipping.
    Yeah converted them to usd with the current usd rate. Those prices are from the local Giant Store. Just read a few pages and saw the Au and Uk prices.

Might be shipping cost is cheaper from taiwan being close here. Shimano prices seems to be also good here, xt groupset for around $590. That includes cranks, shifters, rd, fd, chain, cogs and brakes(rotors not included)

mtbr member
    How can I tell of my trance x0 is a size medium?
    Mine doesn't come with a sticker that says the size!!

Edit: my bad, found the sticker.
    Last edited by Bludshroom; 10-31-2012 at 02:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    [QUOTE=j__h;9828671]Maybe this will be a little more clear?

In that case , if you still can't get it lined up, ditch the adaptor and just try the alignment washers plus a few extra avid ones as reqd. Post to post adapters are usually only for the fork and usually too high and the wrong angle for rear post mounts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

In that case , if you still can't get it lined up, ditch the adaptor and just try the alignment washers plus a few extra avid ones as reqd. Post to post adapters are usually only for the fork and usually too high and the wrong angle for rear post mounts.
    It is all good now that I have it how it is supposed to be, just like in the tech doc.

Adapter on the front 180mm rotor and no adapter on the rear 160mm rotor.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It is all good now that I have it how it is supposed to be, just like in the tech doc.

Adapter on the front 180mm rotor and no adapter on the rear 160mm rotor.
    Mine is setup just like yours, 180mm front, 160mm rear. Shimano stuff and it stops like a Champ
    Last edited by Z4good; 10-31-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: mispelling

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Recieved me TX29 (1) this afternoon. Photo dont even come close to how good this bike looks. As with others here my LBS did not run the rear brake internally so they are going to do this next week. Also had them fit my Reverb so gave them some extra work.

A couple of things I have come across... Firstly I ordered a XL as I am 6'4 with long legs. I have a 420mm Reverb on my TX29 but discovered the XL only has a 21" Seat tube C-T. The Giant Geometry says XL/56 but my XL measures 53cm C-T. This is very strange and only because I have a 420mm Reverb seatpost I might be in trouble with the minimum seatpost lenght. The reverb only required 80mm minimum in the frame. Need to check this does not cause problems to the warranty with my LBS.

Also I have fitted me Schwalbe Hans Dampf (2.35) which I love for the massive grip which helps my Clyde size in the wet conditions we usually ride. The rear tyre does not seem to fit the rim correctly and has a slight hop cos the tyre is not fully seated in one part? Anyone else try 2.35+ on the Giant rims? Front tyre seems to be sitting right. Might re-fit the tyre tomorrow.

I also has a 180mm disc up front and a 160mm disc down back.

I only got out on the bike for a short ride but I love it already. Feels great. With all the positive reviews here I was wondering if I would feel the same, Yes I do. Love this bike.

2 hour trail ride on some tough trail this weekend. Cant wait.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    ^ can u take a pic and verify that u have a 180 mm front rotor. If u do I want giant to send me one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sorry that actually a 170 HS1 on the front. I think the 170mm dimension might be due to the profile of the disc. Its not a circle so maybe sram call this 180mm but thats a guess?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    In have the 170 too.

I heard they specd the bike early and SRAM changed to the new 170.

Btw. I have 20miles on my x1 and already have the fork sent to fox. It had bad sticktion at very top , took about 40lbs to break the first inch.

for anyone who is still "thinking"....just get this bike! mine is close to two pounds heavier than my racier bike i had before, but it somehow climbs up hills better. the extra weight comes from the bigger wheels and dropper post, but it hasnt been an issue. I have the XO by the way....

fap

Dudette
    ^ Ditto! For me, this bike has been nothing short of amazing. The only modifications I've made are to swap out the saddle for a Specialized Ariel (so much more girl-friendly than the Fizik) and to trim the bars down from 720mm to 680mm (liked the wide bars but had a few too many scrapes with trees). Had an awesome ride last weekend down a trail that would give me fits on my 26" bike. The larger wheels and slacker head angle seemed to be just the ticket and I emerged with a BFG! Looking forward to giving the slightly narrower bars a try this weekend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Smile Trance 29 X 2

I've read this whole thread - some great comments - but not a lot said about the X 2

Unfortunately as much as i'd like to I can't afford to go for the X1 or X0 so an X2 is for me.

However i'd be interested to hear what peoples opinions on first things to change would be? Are the Sram gears really much inferior etc?

Thanks in advance

i test rode the X2 just to get an idea of fit. Seemed decent, but i'lll never really know because i didnt take it any further than the dirt parking lot. I liked the way it looked tho! I think it's around 30-31 pounds?
    fap

Quote Originally Posted by petey15 View Post
    ^ Ditto! For me, this bike has been nothing short of amazing. The only modifications I've made are to swap out the saddle for a Specialized Ariel (so much more girl-friendly than the Fizik) and to trim the bars down from 720mm to 680mm (liked the wide bars but had a few too many scrapes with trees). Had an awesome ride last weekend down a trail that would give me fits on my 26" bike. The larger wheels and slacker head angle seemed to be just the ticket and I emerged with a BFG! Looking forward to giving the slightly narrower bars a try this weekend.
    i trimmed mine down to 660! some people laughed at me, but that's how i always run my bars. i have a small upper body and narrow shoulders. there's no point in having extra inches of bar sticking out beyond my hands. My most commonly ridden trails have SUPER narrow tree passages, and most people i ride with, have to stop and walk thru a couple spots because their bars wont fit. I can just barely squeak thru without having to get off the bike i've had some near serious spills from whacking my bars, so i'm narrow fo' life.
    fap

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bin182 View Post
    I've read this whole thread - some great comments - but not a lot said about the X 2

Unfortunately as much as i'd like to I can't afford to go for the X1 or X0 so an X2 is for me.

However i'd be interested to hear what peoples opinions on first things to change would be? Are the Sram gears really much inferior etc?

Thanks in advance
    not having ridden the x2. I always put wheels and brakes at the top of my shopping list. i can live with crappy gears. So long as you aint racing i think low end stuff is fine as long as kept tuned. But wheels are always a great value upgrade...and brakes will save your life...generally.

Maybe the saddle might have to be turfed? I thought the saddle was OK on the x1 myself. And not that we are talking about it, but the saddle on the XTC is horrendous.Worst saddle ever. Its like having a seatpost rammed up your arse

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Got a couple rides on my X2. Weighed 30.7 stock and 28.6
    after putting on Stans Crest wheelset, tubless. Like the
    bike a lot after a couple of easy rides. I have a very sore
    right thumb, from an offroad motocycle crash, and have
    a little trouble pushing the shifters. I have ridden with
    grip shifters for a long time and think I might try the new
    Sram XO 2x10 set. Kind of expensive, but I think they
    will be worth it for me,

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bin182 View Post

Thanks in advance
    I've had my X2 for about a month now and have had it out on the trails quite a few times now. I love it! I think the shifters are crisp, and I haven't dropped a chain or missed a gear. It is around thirty pounds. The only changes I've made so far is a shorter stem and a better saddle.

I agree that the wheels would be the next best upgrade, but for the time being I'll go tubeless and just beat the crap out of these!

I rode all three models, but for the level I'm at the X2 fit the bill perfectly. As things break or wear out I'll upgrade. The bike rocks, and you won't go wrong with any model you buy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar24 View Post
    Thank you for the reply. What model do you have? How much clearance is there in the rear for tires?

How have the Giant branded whhels on the X0 been holding up for those who have them?
    I have the x0. I can't answered the questions about the clearance. It has hobby nics on it and they are awesome. As for the rims, I am a Clydesdale and yesterday took the bike to a more advanced trail with lots of roots, rocks, dips and small drops. Wheels have been great. They are tuneless capable and that is on my list. Other upgrades will include a carbon bar.

Rode today on my usual trail which is not difficult but the bike just makes it more fun as it is fast and as I get used tithe bike I can be aggressive in turns and it just devours roots, rocks and other trail chatter. I find it climbs like a goat. I am by no means a high level rider and think that in the hands of someone with more skill and in better condition, this would be off the chains....

My gut is that we over analyze thesenthingsmams just need to get a bike that works forums and go ride!
    Last edited by oldmanincary; 11-04-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Typos...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Does anyone know if this crank is compatiable with this frame, SLX Shimano ?

Does anyone know if this crank is compatiable with this frame, SLX Shimano ?
    Product

Dudette
    Rode today on my usual trail which is not difficult but the bike just makes it more fun as it is fast and as I get used tithe bike I can be aggressive in turns and it just devours roots, rocks and other trail chatter. I find it climbs like a goat. I am by no means a high level rider and think that in the hands of someone with more skill and in better condition, this would be off the chains....

My gut is that we over analyze thesenthingsmams just need to get a bike that works forums and go ride![/QUOTE]

Taking oldmanincary's suggestion - that's exactly what I did today! The weather was perfect - 61 degrees and sunny when I began my ride. I got a few shots with the self-timer and thoroughly enjoyed the ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trance X 29 official intro-brookside-bowl.jpg  

Trance X 29 official intro-sunshine-my-shoulders.jpg  

Trance X 29 official intro-moment-truth.jpg  

Trance X 29 official intro-brookside-logover.jpg  

Trance X 29 official intro-up-over-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmanincary View Post
    I have the x0. I can't answered the questions about the clearance. It has hobby nics on it and they are awesome. As for the rims, I am a Clydesdale and yesterday took the bike to a more advanced trail with lots of roots, rocks, dips and small drops. Wheels have been great. They are tuneless capable and that is on my list. Other upgrades will include a carbon bar.

My gut is that we over analyze thesenthingsmams just need to get a bike that works forums and go ride!
    Thank you for the reply. I got to test ride an X2 on my local trails yesterday and it was a pretty nice ride. Very plus compared to my steel hardtail. This has definitely joined my list of FS 29s that I am looking at. It will be interesting to hear how the wheelsets on the X0 hold up for those who have them.

Anyone try a Fox 34 on one yet?
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Trance X 29 - nydownhiller's Bike Check - Vital MTB

This guy has a 34 but IMHO, that has destroyed the look of the TX290.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by pharcyde View Post
    Trance X 29 - nydownhiller's Bike Check - Vital MTB

This guy has a 34 but IMHO, that has destroyed the look of the TX290.
    Destroyed? Wut?? The TX29 is an ugly duckling, and that's by FAR the best looking TX29 I've seen... but who cares; how does it go with a 34, single ring guide and decent rubber?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trance X 29 official intro-s1600_trance_x_29.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So is the above bike back to over drive 1. The guy told me at fox they have no kashima od2

DFMBA.org
    I demoed the TX29Zero last Sunday and I've never ridden anything but a hardtail. I went to the demo to ride an Anthem X 29 but there was a line, and my time was short. Ended up demoing a size XL (because that was all that was avail) and at 6',1" I was surprised how well the bike fit. This bike was a tad heavy (Giant rep estimated 29#) but it felt very nimble on the twisty desert singletrack. Not sure if it was my favorable impression of a f/s bike, having not ridden one, or the fact that this bike was 'that' good on the trail, but I left impressed. I don't have the budget for the Zero and I'm wondering if the AX29er with a 120 fork would suffice. I'm more into XC but in Arizona sublime trail can quickly become rugged. My head spins. Could this be the perfect bike for AZ trail riding?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I paid far less for mine than sticker. Far less !

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    I demoed the TX29Zero last Sunday and I've never ridden anything but a hardtail. I went to the demo to ride an Anthem X 29 but there was a line, and my time was short. Ended up demoing a size XL (because that was all that was avail) and at 6',1" I was surprised how well the bike fit. This bike was a tad heavy (Giant rep estimated 29#) but it felt very nimble on the twisty desert singletrack. Not sure if it was my favorable impression of a f/s bike, having not ridden one, or the fact that this bike was 'that' good on the trail, but I left impressed. I don't have the budget for the Zero and I'm wondering if the AX29er with a 120 fork would suffice. I'm more into XC but in Arizona sublime trail can quickly become rugged. My head spins. Could this be the perfect bike for AZ trail riding?
    Wow, I'm coming from the same background in that I rode a hardtail before getting the X2 29er. I absolutely love this bike, and it has not let me down yet. I just finished the Desert classic this morning and each time I go out it just puts a smile on my face. The F/S has allowed me to ride more technical portions and at the end of the ride I don't feel beat up at all, like I did on my hardtail. I am an older rider so I'm sure that's part of it.
    Were did they have the Demo? I know Specialized had one last weekend at Mcdowell mtn.
    And yes you can get this ride below list.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    OK, so I gave the bastard fizik Gobi saddle a good go, and it is the only saddle that ever gave me saddle sores! The stiching on the sides that attaches the slippery material rubs me the wrong way and takes the skin off after long rides! I like how firm it is, but hate the chaffing from the stitching!

What saddles do you guys reccomend!?! Have had good luck with a few WTB saddles in the past...may head that way...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    ...Sorry wrong post

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Couple questions for X2 owners

Does this frame have a standard 1 1/8" - 1.5" taper fork? (and not Overdrive 2)
    And what letter is the blue and red letter on the shock?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post
    Couple questions for X2 owners

Does this frame have a standard 1 1/8" - 1.5" taper fork? (and not Overdrive 2)
    And what letter is the blue and red letter on the shock?
    Yes, the X2 has the standard 1 1/8" - 1.5".

Red L Blue M

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Does anyone know is the frame in Trance X2 the same what you can buy alone? I know that the shock and colour is different, but is weight the same? I want to buy Trance X2 and upgrade in future, but I don't want discover that the frame is heavier. I have photo X0 on scale and weight in medium is 2670g, but what is Trance X2 frame weight?

mtbr member
    Picked up my frameset today, looks stunning! 6.53lbs in XL with seat clamp, headset cups and chainstay protector.

Can someone measure the seat tube length on their XL frame? Measured from centre of BB to top of seat tube I'm getting 520mm-ish, so a lot less than the 560mm/22in listed in Giant’s geometry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    EGF168, could you post pictures your frame, please? Do you have bolts on the bottom side down tube?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    You said you got a great deal spazdad? Which modwl did you get?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rafalwspin View Post
    EGF168, could you post pictures your frame, please? Do you have bolts on the bottom side down tube?
    I’ll see if I can take some pictures tomorrow. There are bolts used for running the rear brake line under the down tube rather than internally. The bolts squeeze the cable with a little wraparound clamp.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4