Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33
    May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by andy2004 View Post
    im tossing up between an x1 trance or a reign 1 2013 models.any help on this.i will be using the bike for trials and dh
    Neither bike is good for those needs...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    sorry i ment xc not trials.the dh will be a once off thing.just the reign is more expensive by 500 dollars here.
    is it worth it

Your Best Friend

Re: Trance X 29 official intro

The Reign is definitely a lot further towards the DH side of trail riding than the Trance. I would hate to do an all day epic ride on a bike as "big" as the Reign.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Trance X 29 official intro

Quote Originally Posted by LordDRIFT View Post
    Okay, so now I have a couple weeks on the bike, I think I have finally seen a weakness. The front end IS light. Every time I read this I thought they meant the front would keep lifting on climbs. While it doesn’t climb as easy as my TX 26er a little change in technique keeps the front end down, so no biggie. This aspect blinded me to the effect on corner performance on. Bermed corners are fine, however there are two type of corners where the front end will laterally slide/drift to the outside of the corner.

1.Flat high-speed corners
    2.Super low speed loose surface uphill switch backs.

The tires may have something to do with this. Has anyone else had this kind of experience?
    Must be your riding style, I havent noticed this with a 140mm fork on the front of mine.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    The Reign is definitely a lot further towards the DH side of trail riding than the Trance. I would hate to do an all day epic ride on a bike as "big" as the Reign.
    Reign is fine for long hauls, they pedal and climb really well. I've done 130km rides on a Reign, & 70km rides often on my RX. The TX29 obviously rolls better and is the better long distance bike but the main point of difference is the handling - big wheeler does not jump and change direction as well as the Reign. If that's not your preferred kind of riding; go for the TX29.

mtbr member
    im tossing up between an x1 trance or a reign 1 2013 models.any help on this.i will be using the bike for trials and dh
    There is a huge difference between trails and DH. For trails I'd go with Trance X over Reign because it's much lighter. As for DH, I don't think the Reign is made for that. You may need a Glory and you definitely don't want to ride trails on that.
    “Change is not a requirement because survival is not mandatory”

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    i appreciate the help guys.i will be doing trial riding most of the time but on the odd occasion i wouldn't mind popping down the dh track that is close by.the reign has alot more travel and has better running gear.im just curious is the gear setup on the tx 1 good enough for the price difference.

mtbr member
    i appreciate the help guys.i will be doing trial riding most of the time but on the odd occasion i wouldn't mind popping down the dh track that is close by.the reign has alot more travel and has better running gear.im just curious is the gear setup on the tx 1 good enough for the price difference.
    There isn't a single bike that can do it all. Since you posted this on the Trance X 29er thread I assume you're talking about the the 29er version of the Trance X and not the 26er version. The Reign, and Glory for that matter, only come as 26er. I can't even begin to compare the Trance X 29er to any Reign because they're so different (frame design and geometry, shocks, forks, head angle, seat tube angle, speeds, gearing, BB height, etc.). A Trance X drive train is designed to be light and precise. On the Reign and Glory they're designed to be robust therefore heavy. Sorry, I can't help you with the comparison. You'll have to decide for yourself where you're going to ride the most. If you decided on a Trance X then you'll have to also decide if you want to take a risk of taking it on the DH run.
    “Change is not a requirement because survival is not mandatory”

May contain nuts
    TX29 with a 140mm Fox 34 would be a versatile bike

Cassoulet forever !
    Hello,

Do any of you have the reach and stack values of the different sizes ? (especilally L and XL).

I looked at giant site in several language and didn't found it.

thanks
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    2.3 Hans Dampf and 70 mm stem has really tightened up the front end and my traction woes. Bike feels damn near invincible now. An added benefit to the shorter stem other than quicker steering was decreased back ache and hand numbness.

Originally had trouble tuning the RS rear shock. Tried to tune based on sag and almost dumped it until I realized large variations in pressure did not produce like changes in sag, ie there was a lot of room to play with different pressures at a fixed sag. My method was to start with 270 psi for my approx. 200lb riding weight 23% sag. I then begin to drop the pressure in 5 psi increments and when I hit 240 psi a touch under 25% sag the rear felt perfect
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know the steerer tube diameter specs?

The the X2 1.5-1.125
    And the X1-X0 1.5-1.25

As in a standard tapered fork will work with the X2, but not the others?

I can measure when I get home, but for the sake of dsicussion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by akaBrowntown View Post
    Does anyone know the steerer tube diameter specs?

The the X2 1.5-1.125
    And the X1-X0 1.5-1.25

As in a standard tapered fork will work with the X2, but not the others?

I can measure when I get home, but for the sake of dsicussion.
    1 1/8 - 1.5 (Standard taper) save a little bit of hassel in upgrading your stem and fork.

Standard tapered fork can work on the x0 and x1 as well by changing the upper HS assembly (reverting to 1 1/8).
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

mtbr member
    Gotcha. I thought as much. Although I am happy with the Recon mine came with now, I just sold a car and am toying with the idea of upgrading.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by akaBrowntown View Post
    Gotcha. I thought as much. Although I am happy with the Recon mine came with now, I just sold a car and am toying with the idea of upgrading.
    The fork will most likely be the last thing I upgrade unless a banging deal comes along.

1. Wheels
    2. Crank

If I've got fork money burning a whole in my pocket and looking for the most performance gain from money spent.
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I bought a trance x1 2013 and stripped all of the groupset except i asked the LBS to spare the wheelset and replaced everything with shimano XTR groupset and replaced the handlebar with Easton haven Carbon Riser.

Now which saddle do you recommend and which shorter stem is compatible with overdrive 2?
    Does the Shimano XT/XTR chain really makes a huge difference in shifting than using the stock KMC chain?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    How does the bike handle with a shorter stem and wider bars?

Your Best Friend

Re: Trance X 29 official intro

Why did you spare the wheelset? That is where you should focus your efforts.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just brought home a large X2 today!
    Have a 90mm stem on it now, will see how that goes. Will be screwing pedals on in the morning and getting a feel for this bad boy...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Why did you spare the wheelset? That is where you should focus your efforts.

What wheelset do you recommend? The stand wheelset that comes with my trance works perfectly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Is the top tube as long as it says on the web site or is it a virtual length?
    If so, what is the actual TT on the medium and large?
    I had a 2007 reign in medium some years ago but it was too small even with 100mm stem and 20mm set back on the seat. I'm 5'11" what do you think?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Orderd a large, frame only.
    What kind Of cranks and bb's can i choose? Is there any adaptors so i can use My old lx HT2 crank and bb's?

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33