Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast
    mtbr member
    My X0 came with tubes and I converted it to tubeless myself. All I needed was Stan's sealant because my bike comes with the tubeless valves. No tape needed as the rims are already set for tubeless and so are the tires. No air loss so far and it's been weeks.
    “Change is not a requirement because survival is not mandatory”

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    My X0 came with tubes and I converted it to tubeless myself. All I needed was Stan's sealant because my bike comes with the tubeless valves. No tape needed as the rims are already set for tubeless and so are the tires. No air loss so far and it's been weeks.
    Did you find the tire hard to seal on the rims? Even with an air compressor mine were hard to seat and if I let all the air out the beads fall away from the rim making it impossible to pump up a completely flat tire with a hand pump.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pharcyde View Post
    Be thankful you got the Adj seatpost one. I didnt. Any chance you could scan it and post it up???
    Send me a PM reminder this weekend....I've moved to Fort Worth, and my bike is still in Austin, heading back Friday night.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    Did you find the tire hard to seal on the rims? Even with an air compressor mine were hard to seat and if I let all the air out the beads fall away from the rim making it impossible to pump up a completely flat tire with a hand pump.
    Using an air compressor the first time you set them up is fairly normal, I normally don't NEED one but it sure does make it easier!

It sounds like they may not have been setup properly from the LBS and from the start. If I were you id get familiar with the techniques needed to setup tubeless yourself and just re-do them properly. Just Goto Stans website as they have good tutorial videos on how to properly set them up.

As said you shouldn't need patches at all, that would defeat the purpose of the sealant in the first place.
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    Like others, I use a compressor to seat the tire to the rim. Once you hear the popping sound you know it's seated. Then you let the air escape and add the sealant (~2 ounces) and pump it up with a regular pump. I pumped it up to around 40 lbs. to keep the bead seated firmly against the rim and then did the shake and rotate of the wheel. After a day or two I let some air out and then monitor the air pressure from time to time. So far so good.

mtbr member
    I recently purchased a Trance x29er X0 and have some questions about running the P-TRX rims tubeless.

I got the bike shop to setup tubeless when I first got the bike, however I am loosing around 1psi of pressure each day in both tires and the front tire has already burped off the rim a couple of times.

I'm running 25-28 psi front and 30-32 psi rear and only weigh 62kg.

In the box with manuals / spares I got with the bike there are 2 rolls of double sided tape & 2 red DT Swiss rim strips. Do you have to use these rim strips when setting the P-TRX rims up as tubeless?

Has anyone found they are still getting lots of punctures & leaks when running tubeless with stans sealant? I already have 3 patches on the inside of my rear nobby nic tire because the stans would not seal the puncture and just kept squirting out without sealing. All these punctures have only been a few mm long small cuts.
    Ok, 1 by 1:

- The 1lb loss I wouldn't be *that* worried about but the source of the air loss is what you need to find. It's either the tape job or the tire bead. Are you getting sealant weeping along the sides of the tires or are they totally dry/clean?

- Do the tape and rim strips look like these? DT Swiss - Tubeless Kit

The short answer to your question is YES. If Giant designed the wheels in conjunction with DT Swiss, and the tape and the rim strips are spec for a successful tubeless setup per the mfg recommendations, then your lbs needs to redo the job. My GUESS is that they used 1 layer of Stan's tape to cover the spoke holes and a couple ounces of sealant. This will seal a tire that's static but once you start riding the bead is slipping out of the hook and burping. The rim strip is designed to wedge the tire bead deeper into the hook and make it more resistant to slipping out and burping. This is a safety issue and a legal liability for the bike shop. If you paid for this I'd go back to the lbs and tell them to redo the job using the DT Swiss stuff.

- I had a similar experience with my first go at tubeless (from a local shop) and now I only do it myself.

- Stan's should be sealing those types of punctures. I usually run with 3 scoops in the tire here in AZ. Never had an issue, but I've never run with Schwalbe tires.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Just read this post...

If your beads are falling away from the rim when you deflate the tire that's a HUGE problem (and a safety problem). No wonder you're burping!! When I read your original post I thought it was very strange that you were burping at those tire pressures and your body weight. I weigh 200lbs with no gear, and regularly run my front tire (on a Stan's Arch rim) at 22 psi with zero issues. You have a setup problem.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    Ok, 1 by 1:

- Do the tape and rim strips look like these?
    Yes that is the rim strip I have (2 sets of the double sided tape and red rim strip). Although I also have manuals for rockshock suspension when my bike has fox so I don't know if the rim strips are for my bike or not.

This was the first trance that the LBS setup as tubeless and I don't really trust them to know if my model needs the rim strips or not.

I've got both rims off the bike atm so will probably install the rimstrips tonight and see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Yes that is the rim strip I have (2 sets of the double sided tape and red rim strip). Although I also have manuals for rockshock suspension when my bike has fox so I don't know if the rim strips are for my bike or not.

This was the first trance that the LBS setup as tubeless and I don't really trust them to know if my model needs the rim strips or not.

I've got both rims off the bike atm so will probably install the rimstrips tonight and see how it goes.

Find a new LBS .... your dealing with a bunch of kooks!!! Giant Australia would be very interested to know what isnt happening at the bike setup stage of their product.

mtbr member

Keep in mind that you ultimately need a strong, air-tight seal between the rim and tire.DUH, right? See, some "rim strips" are merely there to protect the inner tube from the abrasiveness of the drilled spoke holes but do no provide any tubeless functionality.

Other "Rim Strips" (i.e Stan's) are there to (1) provide a seal between the spoke holes, and (2) provide an interfering 'ledge' whereby the tire bead is squeezed in between the rim strip and the top hook of the rim providing an interference fit to the tire bead and the rim. When you combine this interference fit and the sealant (to fill the super small imperfections) you have a great tubeless setup. It sounds like you don't have enough interference in the bead hook area. The bead just flops around.

Keep us posted on your progress please.

Edit: The lbs' excuse that it's their first TX29 tubeless setup is bogus. Tubeless is tubeless. They need to consult with their Giant rep and have him/her go over the procedures with them. I can guarantee you, never having set up Giant rims tubeless before, that I'll get it right first time (w/ P-XC2 rims), and post pictures/proof here on the forums of the whole process.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Looking on the Giant website it doesn't mention rim strips for the P-TRX wheelset:

FEATURES:
    Light and durable proprietary G69 alloy 29er rims
    Tubeless ready using supplied valves
    28mm wide rim for better large tire performance
    DT Aero Comp bladed stainless steel spokes - 28 front/rear (3-cross)
    DT Pro Lock alloy nipples
    Giant alloy hub shells, 6-bolt disc compatible, DT internals
    36T SL star ratchet with 10° engagement
    Compatible with SRAM XX1 1x11 drivetrain using an optional DT Swiss XD Driver body.
    1795 grams per pair

Where as for the P-XCR it does:

Lightweight alloy 29er rims
    Tubeless compatible using supplied rim strips and valves
    24mm wide rim for better tire performance
    DT Competition stainless steel spokes - 28 front/rear (3-cross)
    DT alloy nipples
    Giant alloy hub shells, 6-bolt disc compatible, DT internals
    18T star ratchet with 20° engagement
    Compatible with SRAM XX1 1x11 drivetrain using an optional DT Swiss XD Driver body.
    1750 grams per pair

mtbr member
    Are there any spoke drill holes along the center channel of the rim? Can you take a picture of what you have here? Sounds as if you're like Post #726

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    Are there any spoke drill holes along the center channel of the rim? Can you take a picture of what you have here? Sounds as if you're like Post #726
    All the spoke holes are covered.

Here is a pic of the rim:

dl.dropbox.com/u/11425568/DSC00221.JPG

And here is a pic showing how the tire bead falls away from the rim when flat. I pumped the tire up this morning without sealant to check for leaks (there were a few small ones hence why its deflated) and this is how I found the tire this afternoon. As soon as the tire looses enough pressure the bead separates from the rim:

dl.dropbox.com/u/11425568/DSC00220.JPG

mtbr member
    I saw the pics and it definitely looks like the rims are sealed and one would think that you'd only need valves. That said the tire falling away from the rim bothers me.

I would tell your shop about this and ask them about the unused parts. It probably couldn't hurt to throw the rim strips in and air up the tire again (with a couple scoops of Stan's) and see if that makes a difference. That's what I would try, but of course I'm advising from afar. If you haven't been to the Stan's website and watched the videos, do that as well. There's lots of good info specifically in the "tubeless kit" video (except for drilling your rims). If you watch the "ZTR Tire Install" video, that's what it should look/feel like getting a tire off a rim.

http://www.notubes.com/helpcenter.aspx

mtbr member
    I know some of you will be a bit biased, however I am having a hard time making up my mind between TX29er and its 26" variant. Iv ridden both and like both, I seem a bit more at home on the 26" but that might be because im coming off a 28" HT. I believe I am renting a TX29 on saturday, but like ive said before im having a hard time choosing.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by akaBrowntown View Post
    I know some of you will be a bit biased, however I am having a hard time making up my mind between TX29er and its 26" variant. Iv ridden both and like both, I seem a bit more at home on the 26" but that might be because im coming off a 28" HT. I believe I am renting a TX29 on saturday, but like ive said before im having a hard time choosing.
    Biased? Us? in the TX29er section? Ride it, you will love it.
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    If you're gonna bomb down alot and want more playfulness from the bike then a 26 may be the right call. If you're gonna do more epic XC and longer rides where you need a the benefits of the 29" wheels over a longer period of time, then maybe it's a 29. If you're a taller dude, then maybe a 29" as well. Whatever you're more comfortable with, tho.

mtbr member
    As someone with both the 26" and 29" version of the Trance X I would say that each has their own pros and cons so it all depends on where you ride and how you ride. There are lots of different places for me to ride with different trail types and conditions so I find that having both is nice. 29ers are great for going over bumps, logs, long fast stretches, and long fast descends. 26er are better on tight twisties and rock gardens as they're more agile. I thought I was going to sell my Trance X1 when I got my Trance 29er XO but then decided to keep it. Love them both.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I set up my tx29er XO tubeless myself and have never had so much trouble getting a tire to seat on the bead. I have done several sets of wheels tubeless, both ghetto style and tubeless specific, and getting the nobby nics to bead was a pain! I had to use a compressor, and even then one of them took a heap of jiggery pokery before seating. And, as mentioned above, the bead falls away from the rim as soon as it is deflated.

One of them, after having been used for a few weeks with a tube would not seal because of a tiny cut that just sprays stans everywhere. The cut is maybe 4mm long? I have never seen stans fail to seal such a small hole. I figured it was just me, but after reading through the above posts I wonder if the NN's that come with the bikes are a cheaper, nastier OEM version than those you buy individually? It is my first time running NN's though.

I replaced the cut NN with a Racing Ralph installed tubeless on the rear and it went on easily.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Not satisfied with Brakes on the x1 does anyone know what kind of pads are stock I'm going to try different pads just not sure what to change to. I'm thinking of trying organic. The stock pads are loud no modulation or power and not to mention if its wet out. Any advise would help I was also thinking of maybe different rotors too. I just really hate to have to upgrade whole brake system after dropping good coin on new bike. I'm sure others are dealing with this hope to find a cheap solution.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymx410 View Post
    Not satisfied with Brakes on the x1 does anyone know what kind of pads are stock I'm going to try different pads just not sure what to change to. I'm thinking of trying organic. The stock pads are loud no modulation or power and not to mention if its wet out. Any advise would help I was also thinking of maybe different rotors too. I just really hate to have to upgrade whole brake system after dropping good coin on new bike. I'm sure others are dealing with this hope to find a cheap solution.
    Lots of info here: The Juicy brake turkey warble/vibration MEGA THREAD

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks mtbeing lots of info in that thread after reading for hours I think my best bet is to call avids customer service and see if they'll send me some organic pads

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I ended up getting a pair of shimano deore M596 from my LBS for a good price, they were stripped off one of their build kits. Now just need to sell the avids to make bake some of the money... relatively cheap solution... muuuch better brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Craig sounds like a good choice I would feel bad selling these avids to anyone haha I'm gona try a couple cheap attempts to make they work if that don't work I will be replacing them too

mtbr member
    Had the same thing my 2012 Anthem X 29. Replaced stock pads with a set of Serfas pads from Jenson for $8 per wheel - difference between night and day. Stock pads were noisy, had grinding feel, crapped out when wet, squeaked under extended use, the Serfas pads are night/day difference. I'd suggest them as a right away replacement for all the stock Avid brakes....

Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast