Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    1st ride on my X1 yesterday. After swapping out Bars for the shorter Truvativ Stylo WC (690mm) which also have a lower rise and swapping the 90mm stem for an 80mm (I still have to 70mm on order), I hit my local trails.

I started off riding up some steep stuff and was impressed how well the bike climbed, I managed to clean a steep technical uphill track which I sometimes ride as a quick way into the park. One thing I did notice was a bit of wheel spin having positioned my seat more forward. Once I was at the top I rode some good singletrack downhill to the bottom of the park. I wasn't initially blown away with the DH performance, the bike though did definitely feel a lot more agile than the AX29er.

At the bottom I checked my air settings for my forks and shock, they were setup as recommended 20% sag. I removed some air and set them to 30% sag and rode that DH again. This time I was blown away, the bike absolutely railed, very fast. I can say its rare that I can jump on a new bike and feel immediately at home with it.

Throughout yesterday's ride though I couldnt help but wonder what the bike would feel like with a 130mm for 140mm fork. I found the bike does feel a bit steep with the 120mm fork, much like my Trance 26er did (I put a 140mm fork on it). I think a Revelation 140mm reduced to 130mm might be the business and not compromise the length of the bike too much.

The other thing I didn't like was the amount of noise the bike made from the internal cable routing rattling around in the frame

and without a doubt the bike needs a shorter (70mm) stem

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by rafalwspin View Post
    I found this is MBR, January issue. They tested X1. "More annoyingly, SRAM's Type-2 rear derailleur makes a loud clunking sound every time the suspension compresses, because the lower section of the chain tugs on the rear mech and causes the clutch to relese," No one mentioned this before. Can someone deflate shock and check, please?
    Interesting. I'd been hearing a muffled clunk while riding and couldn't narrow down what it was. After reading this I explored the bike a bit more and found their assertion to be accurate. It is most definitely the roller clutch on the X9 rear derailleur. Have to say I'm not very impressed.

For what it's worth, you can't hear it on the trail. Only on pavement. Not a big deal.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Is this problem only with Sram, or with Shimano plus as well?

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Quote Originally Posted by rafalwspin View Post
    Is this problem only with Sram, or with Shimano plus as well?
    That isn't a problem with Shimano Shadow+.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Got to ride an X1, albeit only in a neighborhood around the shop.

My local shop has a medium in stock. I'm 6'1" and they said it fit fine. Of course I worry if they are just trying to get me to buy this one instead of ordering a large. I don't mind waiting at all, just want the right size.

Gotta say it felt pretty good, but don't know which I should get. On one hand the medium has a super short wheelbase. Be great for manueverability. But am I sacrificing stability? I'd hate to get it on a downhill and fell like I'm gonna go over the bars.

Maybe a large with a shorter stem would be better. But then the wheelbase is longer and may not be as agile.

ARRRRGH! wish thhey had both in stock. Hate having to choose like this.

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post

My local shop has a medium in stock. I'm 6'1" and they said it fit fine. Of course I worry if they are just trying to get me to buy this one instead of ordering a large. I don't mind waiting at all, just want the right size.

Gotta say it felt pretty good, but don't know which I should get. On one hand the medium has a super short wheelbase. Be great for manueverability. But am I sacrificing stability? I'd hate to get it on a downhill and fell like I'm gonna go over the bars.

Maybe a large with a shorter stem would be better. But then the wheelbase is longer and may not be as agile.

I'm 6'1" as well and my lbs told me that puts me right in the middle for a large. I think a medium would be to small for you. I even demoed an XL on 5 miles of single track and it didn't feel that bad. 32" inseam, btw.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    I'm 6'1" as well and my lbs told me that puts me right in the middle for a large. I think a medium would be to small for you. I even demoed an XL on 5 miles of single track and it didn't feel that bad. 32" inseam, btw.
    thanks for the reply. Like to hear what others think since I can't demo various sizes

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi
    I don't Ride Trances anymore, But Have owned a heap of bikes, Niners at the moment.

I'm 6ft on the button & I ride Lge 29er's, I have had med as well.

The med is getting small for you, I have a friend that is just over 6ft & rides a Med Trance X29, But he runs his seat much lower than me.

His seat is arround 740mm were as I run mine at 800mm, I find with the Lge It is easyer for me to keep the front wheel on the ground on very steep climbs & don't get the going over the bars feel on steep drops.

So IMO unless you run your seat at 740mm high of less don't even look at the Med.

Just my 2 c

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    thanks for the reply. Like to hear what others think since I can't demo various sizes
    I agree with the other two responses and think a medium may be too small for you. I'm a bit taller at 6'3" and waffled between the L and X/L riding both multiple times before settling with the X/L. I really felt like I had a bit more room on the X/L and honestly could not tell any difference in handling between the two.

That said, it a personal choice, but I would definitely ride a large before making a decision.

Good luck

Your Best Friend

Your shop needs a reality check. You should absolutely not be on a medium frame. Tell your LBS that they shouldn't be pushing a sale just because that bike is the only one they have on the floor.

carbon classic
    Jul 2011

Before you spend your hard earned on a new bike and for your own peace of mind, I would suggest a test ride on the large first.

I had a similar query to yourself - medium or large Trance X29?, so a few months ago I did a back to back test ride of each at a GIANT test ride day. (BTW - I'm 6' and 34" inseam) Medium was ok, but the large just felt better; it felt spot on actually.

Do yourself a favour and get a ride on the large size. Then you will be confident which size works best for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    problem is no one has a large. Heck, this medium is the only one I've ever seen.

On your guys advice, I'll go large. They told me they'd switch the stem for free. Maybe a large and a shorter stem is the way to go for me.

Carbon & Ti rule
    problem is no one has a large. Heck, this medium is the only one I've ever seen.

On your guys advice, I'll go large. They told me they'd switch the stem for free. Maybe a large and a shorter stem is the way to go for me.
    Sounds good to me, that Is how I have set up my Jet9 RDO & really like it.

Your Best Friend

They could definitely order one in. They are not sold out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Anyone know how much the stock Giant Connect SL, Low Rise, 31.8 bars on the X291 weigh?

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by eruizela View Post
    Anyone know how much the stock Giant Connect SL, Low Rise, 31.8 bars on the X291 weigh?
    Giant Connect SL Riser Handlebar (Handlebars) - Bike Gear | Giant Bicycles | United States

This is the aftermarket link, but I'm pretty sure the bars on the stock X1 are 720s, which are not listed. If you extrapolate the weights v. lengths, though, it's probably around 275 grams.

DFMBA.org
    Just ordered mine today (X1 large) from my lbs and I'm really jazzed to officially join the fray here, esp the pic thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    Just ordered mine today (X1 large) from my lbs and I'm really jazzed to officially join the fray here, esp the pic thread.
    Congrats
    “Change is not a requirement because survival is not mandatory”

mtbr member
    I also just ordered my trance 29 x1. Can't wait!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaussy View Post
    I also just ordered my trance 29 x1. Can't wait!!!!!!!
    Congrats to you, too. You guys will just love it.
    “Change is not a requirement because survival is not mandatory”

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have an x1 and bought a bbg bashgaurd I installed it on the outside of the big ring used stock bolts took washers off. I had to adjust the derailer up to clear the gaurd but now it's to high and rubs a little when on small ring. Is anyone running a bashgaurd on there tx29x1. Not sure if I installed it correctly or it's just made to replace big ring and I have it rigged up. I tried uploading pics but it won't let me for some reason? Any opinions thanks my first 2x10

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I recently purchased a Trance x29er X0 and have some questions about running the P-TRX rims tubeless.

I got the bike shop to setup tubeless when I first got the bike, however I am loosing around 1psi of pressure each day in both tires and the front tire has already burped off the rim a couple of times.

I'm running 25-28 psi front and 30-32 psi rear and only weigh 62kg.

In the box with manuals / spares I got with the bike there are 2 rolls of double sided tape & 2 red DT Swiss rim strips. Do you have to use these rim strips when setting the P-TRX rims up as tubeless?

Has anyone found they are still getting lots of punctures & leaks when running tubeless with stans sealant? I already have 3 patches on the inside of my rear nobby nic tire because the stans would not seal the puncture and just kept squirting out without sealing. All these punctures have only been a few mm long small cuts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    I recently purchased a Trance x29er X0 and have some questions about running the P-TRX rims tubeless.

I got the bike shop to setup tubeless when I first got the bike, however I am loosing around 1psi of pressure each day in both tires and the front tire has already burped off the rim a couple of times.

I'm running 25-28 psi front and 30-32 psi rear and only weigh 62kg.

In the box with manuals / spares I got with the bike there are 2 rolls of double sided tape & 2 red DT Swiss rim strips. Do you have to use these rim strips when setting the P-TRX rims up as tubeless?

Has anyone found they are still getting lots of punctures & leaks when running tubeless with stans sealant? I already have 3 patches on the inside of my rear nobby nic tire because the stans would not seal the puncture and just kept squirting out without sealing. All these punctures have only been a few mm long small cuts.
    Errggggh ..... bow bow !!!

If the LBS hasnt installed the DTSwiss tape then theres the problem. Factory fits the red tape so someone has either NOT installed it in the factory or the LBS has pulled it off.
    If the punctures arent sealing you havent got enough sealant in them. Simple as that.
    Your tyre pressures seem a bit too low. If this is your first 29er then you need to reset your thinking with regards to PSI and lift them up. All this crap about running lower PSI with TL is wrong. Low PSI will burp every time and depending on the situation that caused the burp, you WILL need to clean the rim bead before attempting a reseal.
    SCHWALBEs will "snap" up tight if seated correctly and the red tape is the only way to achieve this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    For those of you w/ X0's, what kind of extras should I expect? I got a generic Giant manual, and IIRC one for the adj. post, some reflectors, and the tubeless valves. No shock pump, suspension setup guide, or anything else - is that right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cms_atx View Post
    For those of you w/ X0's, what kind of extras should I expect? I got a generic Giant manual, and IIRC one for the adj. post, some reflectors, and the tubeless valves. No shock pump, suspension setup guide, or anything else - is that right?
    Be thankful you got the Adj seatpost one. I didnt. Any chance you could scan it and post it up???

Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast