Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    bikensand, what's the bike weigh after all the upgrades? I'm still trying to decide if the 0 is worth the extra money over the 1.

mtbr member
    28lb 13oz before changing the tires. Tires should bring it down pretty close to 28# if the Schwalbe published weights are anywhere near accurate. Had to give the scale back to my friend, so I don't have an actual measurement, post-tire replacement

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymx410 View Post
    5 rides on my x1 and I have been noticing a little oil leaking out of rear shock it's not much and I've been wiping it clean after each ride anyone have any issues or ya think this is normal.
    It's probably okay. A light film with some slight pooling at the lowest (longest travel) point is normal. If it's enough to actually bead and drip, you could have a seal problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Guil I measured my x1 large from center of bb to center of seat post clamp and depending on the angle it was between 19" and 19" 1/4. Thanks bikensand I will keep an eye on it seems to be puddling up a bit on the o ring then collecting some dirt lets hope it's not a seal. I also just weighed my stock large x1 with some temp wellgo flat and it was 30lb 12oz

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks Jaymx.

Mine measures the same, and also has the 90 mm stem. Time to get it muddy!

As for Giant's published dimensions it is almost as if they measure standover without tires, which does not make much sense.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yeah enjoy I'm having fun on it and as far as the rear shock there was far less oil on the o ring just enough to attract a little dirt so I think it's normal everything else good I'm still trying to find what kind of bash gaurd fits on the SRAM. Also if they make different material brake pads for the avids I heard it stops the noise and gives it better modulating feel. That's my only complaint is the brakes I'm giving them time to see if they break in better only up to 50 miles so far

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Guil View Post
    As for Giant's published dimensions it is almost as if they measure standover without tires, which does not make much sense.
    I agree. I have an X/L and the stand over is much higher then the spec published by Giant.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymx410 View Post
    5 rides on my x1 and I have been noticing a little oil leaking out of rear shock it's not much and I've been wiping it clean after each ride anyone have any issues or ya think this is normal. And guil I can measure my x1 large for ya in the morning and see how it compares I did notice my large came with a 90 mm handlebar stem while I heard the larges coming with a 100 luckily I'm happy with the 90.
    Take the shock off the bike, unscrew the air canister and put about a teaspoon of Tenacious Oil in the cylinder. Should help the leaking issue and it lasts longer.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks silentfoe I've never heard of that lube but researched it sounds good all around and will have to get some.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168 View Post
    Not for non-members of Rotorburn.

Sorry NOOB mistake. all fixed now.

Rear swingarm arrived from Giant Australia within 3 days and is at LBS to be fitted in the next few days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Here is a couple pictures of my X1 that I bought used with 2 months on it, and my second time out with it. This is at Monte Sano in North Alabama at a lookout. The trails here are pretty rocky, non flowy, and technical.

My only work I have done on it so far are a lot of aligning of the Elixer 3's, rotors, and adding grease to the backside of the brake pads to successfully get the turkey garble to go away. Was quite a warning call to people up ahead I was imminent on my first ride. I plan to replace the brakes eventually with either Hayes Prime Experts (pricepoint), or Shimano SLX/XT's to get a bit more power. At that point I'll run the rear brake line through the frame.

The giant saddle, with only 2 months of use on it was already looking pretty rough. It ages very poorly, and wasn't comfortable to begin with. I got a like new Selle Italia SLK gel with ti rails for $50 off ebay to replace it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trance X 29 official intro-img_20121209_103441.jpg  

Trance X 29 official intro-pano_20121209_103725.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rothnic View Post
    Here is a couple pictures of my X1 that I bought used with 2 months on it, and my second time out with it. This is at Monte Sano in North Alabama at a lookout. The trails here are pretty rocky, non flowy, and technical.

My only work I have done on it so far are a lot of aligning of the Elixer 3's, rotors, and adding grease to the backside of the brake pads to successfully get the turkey garble to go away. Was quite a warning call to people up ahead I was imminent on my first ride. I plan to replace the brakes eventually with either Hayes Prime Experts (pricepoint), or Shimano SLX/XT's to get a bit more power. At that point I'll run the rear brake line through the frame.

The giant saddle, with only 2 months of use on it was already looking pretty rough. It ages very poorly, and wasn't comfortable to begin with. I got a like new Selle Italia SLK gel with ti rails for $50 off ebay to replace it.
    Thanks for the Pics. Looks like a beautiful area your riding. What pedals are you running? I'm looking to upgrade and I want to clip in, but have some platform.
    I agree about the saddle. Was my first change.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Z4good View Post
    Thanks for the Pics. Looks like a beautiful area your riding. What pedals are you running? I'm looking to upgrade and I want to clip in, but have some platform.
    I agree about the saddle. Was my first change.
    Time ATAC Z pedals. I'm a fan of the type of clip in style, had crank brother's before on my road bike, but wanted something more tough for mountain biking. Pretty decent, enough of a platform to unclip one foot during hairy sections. Downside is they are fairly heavy.

Time ATAC Z Pedals at Price Point

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rothnic View Post
    Funny! I looked at your pictures and thought, "Coldwater Mountain in Anniston?" Looks like I wasn't too far off. If you get a chance, take the Trance for a day-trip there. It'll put a smile on your face guaranteed!

I raced Monte Sano this year and I think that might be the one XC race that the Trance would be better than the Anthem in. Half the course there is flat, flowing singetrack and the other half is several miles brutal rock garden. I can imagine that this bike just floats over all of it. Didn't get to do much exploring off the race course, but I've heard there's some pretty gnarly stuff out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bikensand View Post
    Funny! I looked at your pictures and thought, "Coldwater Mountain in Anniston?" Looks like I wasn't too far off. If you get a chance, take the Trance for a day-trip there. It'll put a smile on your face guaranteed!

I raced Monte Sano this year and I think that might be the one XC race that the Trance would be better than the Anthem in. Half the course there is flat, flowing singetrack and the other half is several miles brutal rock garden. I can imagine that this bike just floats over all of it. Didn't get to do much exploring off the race course, but I've heard there's some pretty gnarly stuff out there.
    Yeah, the Trance performs nearly as well as my 07 Enduro on the rough stuff, but climbs much better. There are some downhill rocky areas that I feel more confident with the Trance due to the better roll over combined with the decent amount of suspension travel. Moving too slow with the enduro could cause the front tire to want to get stuck in gaps between rocks.

I'll have to check out Coldwater Mountain. Monte Sano has a plateau, so anything on it is pretty flat, which includes the one smooth flowing trail we have. Leave the plateau and it is baby head city, where most of the miles of trail are in the area. Can be fun, but is extrememly tiring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Got my x1 last week and upgraded groupset and brakes to 1 x 10 with sram xx and xx1 (see pics thread)

Plan was to setup bike as a trail "do it all" bike. I already have a XC bike

My initial thoughts are:

My size medium is a big bike, the small I trialled was too small. Though the bike is not as big as my medium AX29.

The 90mm stem is a bit long, i will swap for a 70mm
    I was surprised at how easy the wheels setup as tubeless, much easier than my Stans wheelsets i had. That said the wheels are heavy.
    I dont care for the Fox CTD suspension, i will leave both ends set on D
    The handlebars are a bit too wide for my liking (720mm) i will trim 15mm each end off. The wide bars and long stem make for slow awkward steering

I am not too happy about the offset on the dropper seatpost either.

Will update with my ride thoughts after a bit more riding
    Last edited by VERT1; 12-12-2012 at 11:30 AM.

see me rollin, they hatin
    sexy bike

fap

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    sexy bike

Why forego the XT cranks? What did you switch to?

wanted what i was used to, 3x10 and a bashgaurd (which i'm finding out i could have rigged something) it's a raceface turbine
    fap

DFMBA.org
    Besides the orange pieces and the saddle, did you switch out anything else?

thats all!
    fap

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I found this is MBR, January issue. They tested X1. "More annoyingly, SRAM's Type-2 rear derailleur makes a loud clunking sound every time the suspension compresses, because the lower section of the chain tugs on the rear mech and causes the clutch to relese," No one mentioned this before. Can someone deflate shock and check, please?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Double post
    Last edited by rafalwspin; 12-13-2012 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Double post

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    sexy bike

yes it is.

mtbr member
    TBH I too am VERY confused as to why you would choose to give up, 2012 XT 2x10 clutch drivetrain, to go back to OLD tech Raceface 3x10. #stunned

Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast