Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Is there anyone who is 250-260 lbs that rides one of these? i'm wondering if I will be able to have a firm suspension at my weight. I rode a reign and i had many pedal stikes and it seemed to move alot even with maximum pressure in the shock. I could never stand and pedal either even with propedal on max. Iighter riders rode my bike and it was fine. Will the trance be the same?

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Golddr2000 View Post
    Is there anyone who is 250-260 lbs that rides one of these? i'm wondering if I will be able to have a firm suspension at my weight. I rode a reign and i had many pedal stikes and it seemed to move alot even with maximum pressure in the shock. I could never stand and pedal either even with propedal on max. Iighter riders rode my bike and it was fine. Will the trance be the same?
    You might need some custom valve work done on the shock or an increase of boost valve pressure. Maestro leverage ratio is typically quite high which doesn't really suit heavier riders...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Golddr2000 View Post
    I have a medium X2 which you can only adjust the rebound on the shock. No lockout or anything else. I weigh 225 in my undies. I pump up to 270psi with the giant shock pump, and the manual says there is 5% loss when disconnecting, so this would put me at 256.5 psi after disconnect. I run 25% sag so if you want a cushier ride, you could gain a bit there with 30% sag plus the extra 18.5 psi in the shock. I do not notice any bob when pedaling while sitting. When standing pedaling, I control my rotations and do not notice much if any bob.
    This is with a RockShox so the fox probably performs different.
    Hopefully this helps a little.
    Josh

see me rollin, they hatin
    Quote Originally Posted by p_cycle View Post
    u need to get rid of the orange bits forcrissake
    hell no! i'm one othe few rare people in the world that dislikes blue. especially light teal blue. ack, i think it's gross. The orange is a distraction to pull away from that hideous cheap looking blue Trance text.

different strokes and folks or whatever.
    fap

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    since the subject of stroke was brought up, may I ask what is the stroke and eye to eye measurements of the shock?
    There seems to be zero official info on that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ride report:

Took my new to me (used 2 months) Trance X1 29er out today on a nice 75 degree day in Alabama. The Monte Sano trails are extremely rocky, the opposite of flow, and my 2007 Spec Enduro SL didn't fit the trails or me very well. I'm 5'10.5" and the medium fits me perfectly. The stem was already flipped and I think I won't need to make any other adjustments.

Good:
    Plushness and handling were surprisingly very similar to the Enduro. Felt a little less slack, but handled roots and rocks great. This is my first 29er and I didn't notice a huge difference in "flickability". Plowing down short rocky hills right into short rocky climbs I could tell I could maintain speed more easily. The biggest difference from the Enduro was the Trance X was much more stable climbing. I'm surprised at the comments about the front wheel lifting, but then again I was used to the Enduro.

Bad:
    Brakes are very noisy, and not that great. Already was expecting to replace them. The seat is pretty uncomfortable, with the seatpost needing to be very tight to avoid tilting. A new seat should be in next week for me. The lock on grips twisted a few times on me, so I'm going to make sure they are tight.

mtbr member

Seatstay meet log ...... log meet seatstay.

$AU400 later I will be able to ride again soon ....... blleeeeeeaaaaaaahhh f$#@%ken mountain bikes ey!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trance X 29 official intro-img_20121201_155619%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by pharcyde; 12-08-2012 at 11:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pharcyde View Post

Seatstay meet log ...... log meet seatstay.

$AU400 later I will be able to ride again soon ....... blleeeeeeaaaaaaahhh f$#@%ken mountain bikes ey!
    Any Pics?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Does anyone know of a good bash gaurd for the x 1 the SRAM crankset I seen an earlier post about this but it was for the x0 shimano stuff. I'm not really sure what will fit on the 2 x10 without removing the big ring obviously

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z4good View Post
    Any Pics?
    Yeah the big full colour one above your text is a picture!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pharcyde View Post
    Yeah the big full colour one above your text is a picture!!!
    Not for non-members of Rotorburn.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168 View Post
    Not for non-members of Rotorburn.
    Yep. After I logged into my Rotorburn account the image appeared here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Has anyone had issues with the CTD settings on fox suspension? I cant tell any difference between the climb, trail and descend settings on my x1. Is there supposed to be a very noticeable difference?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by craig006 View Post
    Has anyone had issues with the CTD settings on fox suspension? I cant tell any difference between the climb, trail and descend settings on my x1. Is there supposed to be a very noticeable difference?
    I definitely notice the difference with mine. I rode a race in climb setting last week and it felt like I was on a hard tail. I find the descend setting too "bouncy" and usually leave it on trail. I did set pressure and rebound as per the recommendations from the Fox IRD mobile app.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cozzal View Post
    I definitely notice the difference with mine. I rode a race in climb setting last week and it felt like I was on a hard tail. I find the descend setting too "bouncy" and usually leave it on trail. I did set pressure and rebound as per the recommendations from the Fox IRD mobile app.
    My LBS set the pressures and so on for me, so not sure what numbers they have used. But I doubt that they could have been so off, as to cause the settings to have absolutely no effect? do you think it could be incorrect pressures causing my issues?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ride a bit - play with it - ride some more til you get to where you want. That's the best advice I can give. I set mine up normally at first, then tried the Fox IRD app and hated their settings.

Measuring sag is a helpful start(I liked 25%), and customize from there. Start rebound at one end of the spectrum, then start at the other end, then in the middle, and go whichever way feels best from there.

mtbr member

A new ride for my new ride

I just got a new rack for my bike. They look great together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trance X 29 official intro-bike-n-rack.jpg  

“Change is not a requirement because survival is not mandatory”

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    I just got a new rack for my bike. They look great together.
    What rack is that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettevert View Post
    What rack is that?
    It is a 1up USA Quik-Rack. Easy on, easy off, all aluminum with SS hardware. No steel or plastic parts to rust or break over time. The rack only touches the tires, no contact with the frame at all.
    “Change is not a requirement because survival is not mandatory”

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    It is a 1up USA Quik-Rack. Easy on, easy off, all aluminum with SS hardware. No steel or plastic parts to rust or break over time. The rack only touches the tires, no contact with the frame at all.
    I've got a friend with one of those. Easily the coolest rack I've seen or used.

I've had my bike now for about a month and have about 120 miles on it so far. About 50 of those miles were in the mountains of North Georgia on the kind of terrain the bike is truly intended. The rest were at my home trails in Pensacola, FL. A few observations:
    - This bike handles/corners noticeably better than my Anthem 29er. We have on loop here that's about 6 miles of fairly twisty, mostly flat singletrack. It seems like you are turning the whole time while on it and several sections are slalom-like back and forth turns. I smashed my fastest time on that loop by several minutes, even though the Trance is about 5 lbs heavier than the Anthem.
    - You probably aren't going to win any XC races on it . It feels like a heavy bike when ridden back-to-back with the Anthem. I know that statement is fairly obvious (and a bit tongue in cheek), but may be helpful for folks deciding between both bikes and thinking 20 mm of travel doesn't sound like a big difference. These two bikes are meant for two distinctly different types of riding.
    -The thing rips going downhill, though I'm not a fan of the "D" setting on the fork. It seemed pretty spongy and I felt like a lost a lot of feel in the front end. "T" on the front, "D" in the rear was okay but I preferred "T" front and rear. The "C" setting is nice touch on sustained climbs (as in, several mile long climbs). Flipping both levers constantly gets old fast, so I imagine that mine will stay in "T" most of the time. If you ride with a water bottle, the shock lever is a bit difficult to see or flip.

Here's a list of upgrades that the bike has seen (Most came off a friend's bike; he made me a smokin' package deal):
    XO Crankset
    X9 Shifters
    Elixir 9 Brakes - organic pads to quiet them down and give them some modulation
    Stan's Arch EX rims on Hope Hubs
    Rock Shox Reverb S dropper post
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25" tires - kept the Nics and will switch back for rockier terrain, but the Ron's drop 0.75 lbs off the wheels and work fine for 90% of my riding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trance X 29 official intro-photo-4-.jpg  

Trance X 29 official intro-photo-3-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    How did you hide cable from Reverb?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rafalwspin View Post
    How did you hide cable from Reverb?
    The distributor that my LBS used sent the wrong model Reverb. I ordered the one with the left cable mount, but they sent the Reverb S(tealth?). The hydraulic cable connects through the bottom of the post, so it routes through the frame. It was a huge pain in the ass, but with an hour's tedious work I got it through. I do have concerns with the cable chaffing against the downtube/seattube/bottom bracket shell junction ( there's a pretty sharp edge in there), so we'll just have to see what happens long-term. So far, so good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Another frame size question

Hello,

I took an X0 for a demo ride last week, loved it, and brought a X1 home yesterday. As I am a bit (a lot?) anal, I was checking it over this evening and am a little confused on the size I ended up with, as very few measurments match the Giant specs. I have a L, or so the sticker says, but the wheelbase and standover are closer to an XL.

Could someone with a L, or access to one, please measure from centre of BB to top of seat tube at the clamp on the centerline of the tube and tell me what they get?

Thanks for any replies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craig006 View Post
    A friend had the same problem with his CTD Talas fork, no difference between the settings. He had to ship it back to Fox for them to fix

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    5 rides on my x1 and I have been noticing a little oil leaking out of rear shock it's not much and I've been wiping it clean after each ride anyone have any issues or ya think this is normal. And guil I can measure my x1 large for ya in the morning and see how it compares I did notice my large came with a 90 mm handlebar stem while I heard the larges coming with a 100 luckily I'm happy with the 90.

Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast