Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 625 of 822
  1. #601
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168 View Post
    Picked up my frameset today, looks stunning! 6.53lbs in XL with seat clamp, headset cups and chainstay protector.

    Can someone measure the seat tube length on their XL frame? Measured from centre of BB to top of seat tube I'm getting 520mm-ish, so a lot less than the 560mm/22in listed in Giantís geometry.
    Just measured my X/L. Same as you, roughly 520mm.

  2. #602
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EGF168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,420
    Thanks! Seems a little odd but totally fine if thatĎs how it should be. The effective top tube measures roughly what it should, which matters more to me. Head tube length is 10mm longer than the chart says though.

    Photos:











  3. #603
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168 View Post
    Thanks! Seems a little odd but totally fine if thatĎs how it should be. The effective top tube measures roughly what it should, which matters more to me. Head tube length is 10mm longer than the chart says though.

    Photos:










    Your frame looks awesome!!

    Couple questions; Did you get to select the shock or is that what came with it?

    What is your head tube length?

    Is your headset the overdrive or overdrive 2?

    And finally, did you get the chain stay cover with it, if not where did you get it?

    Can,t wait to see pics of your completed build!!

  4. #604
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    103
    Finally collected my frame and built it today (pics to follow), exact same as EGF 168 but in size large. Really happy it came with the Kashima shoc, wasnt expecting that

    Full internal routing was a total PITA

  5. #605
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EGF168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Z4good View Post
    Your frame looks awesome!!

    Couple questions; Did you get to select the shock or is that what came with it?

    What is your head tube length?

    Is your headset the overdrive or overdrive 2?

    And finally, did you get the chain stay cover with it, if not where did you get it?

    Can,t wait to see pics of your completed build!!

    The shock came as standard which is one of the reasons I went with this frame. Not many brands even come close to this kind of value for money(in the UK). Even some of Giantís other frames have a cheaper shock for the same price.

    Headtube length is 120mm, excluding a couple of mm either end for the headset cups. I havenít checked but the headset should be the ordinary overdrive. Not much point sending the overdrive 2 headset if forks for it arenít available easily.

    Included with the frame was the usual paperwork, clear patches for cable rub, seat clamp, cable ties/clips, chainstay protector and a full FSA headset including crown races for straight or tapered forks.

    Iím not too sure whatís going on the frame yet so it will get built soon but not quite yet. The main thing is either buying a new fork or servicing an existing one.

  6. #606
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    50
    Still waiting on my x1 hopeing any day now it's been the longest 2 months of my life 🚵

  7. #607
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    103
    Spent 4 hours on mine today, the ride is unbelievably good, its so stable and fun. Had a Turner Sultan prior to this and the Trance is way more active on the downs yet climbs just as well. Really happy with the sizing too, I'm 6'2" and the large fits like a glove with an 80mm stem and 750mm wide bars.



  8. #608
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EGF168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,420
    Looks neat! Itís nice how the lines and shape of the frame have more flow than the 26in model.

  9. #609
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollinrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    308

    Smile

    Here is mine.

    I have already upgraded the brakes, seat and wheelset. It has made a huge difference in the bike, saved about a 1.5 lbs by switcheng to the Crossmax wheelset set up tubeless. The XT brakes are a joy to ride with, so quiet and confidence inspiring! Bike overall has been a blast to ride. Bike weighs in at a shade under 28, Size small
    Giant really got this bike right, the short seats really help make the bike manuverable and the slack headtube makes it stable when pointed downward. I was having problems with a "light " front end until I removed some spacers to place more weight in front. Now when I go uphill it tracks much better and I dont feel like I am fighting the bike to go straight! I love the seatpost but wish that it did not have a 12mmsetback, a straight one have been better for me since I feel I am scooting up to the tip of the seat on steep climbs but its not a dealkiller. . I have about 350 miles on it in the past 6 weeks and my roadbike pretty much has been sitting on hooks in the garage! It flys up hills and bombs down them, running over everything I throw at it. I am hoping for a mild winter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trance X 29 official intro-img_0072.jpg  

    Trance X 29 official intro-img_0106.jpg  

    Trance X 29 official intro-img_0109.jpg  

    Trance X 29 official intro-img_0110.jpg  

    Trance X 29 official intro-img_0112.jpg  

    Trance X 29 official intro-img_0114.jpg  

    Trance X 29 official intro-img_0129.jpg  


  10. #610
    Dudette
    Reputation: petey15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,088

    Just a couple of shots from this weekend

    I let one of my friends I ride with try the bike out at Dryer Road Park in Victor, NY this past weekend. Several members of our mtb club decided to make a day trip up from Ithaca, NY. What a treat those trails are! We enjoyed the skills area and took some notes as we'd like to build something like that in our neck of the woods.

    Mo, who races downhill asked to try out the bike. He's about 6' and I figured my bike would be a bit too small, but he wanted to see what it could do. We had to put more air in the tires and pump up the shock. His first comment was how nimble the bike was - he couldn't get enough of it. He took it on all the features and got some air off one of the drops. Then he rode up the hill toward the jump progression trails. He was beaming when I finally asked for the bike back and said it reminded him of a slope-style bike with big wheels. I don't know if I'd go that far but he showed me it can handle way more than I can dish out at this point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trance X 29 official intro-mo-merlin-flying.jpg  

    Trance X 29 official intro-mo-merlin-dryer-road.jpg  


  11. #611
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    43
    I have my TX29-1 for 3 weeks not and have to say I love it (now). I have also not a lot of experience of FS bikes, and have been riding a HT for the last year. First impressions of the TX29 was it felt very different from my hardtail, wider bars, longer top tube which made it a little awkward at first. Also my LBS did not set up the suspension correctly, too soft for my weight so my first ride got me worried about this bike. 3 weeks on and I now love this bike. I am like a kid when Im out with the friends because I want to ride over every obstacle they appears in front of me. It has even given me the confidence to search out 2-3ft drops which I would have stayed well clear of before riding the TX29. It is truly an amazing bike.

    A couple of points on this bike. Firstly the seat angle seems much more than the specified 73deg. For the first 2 weeks my lower back was killing me when climbing. This has gotten better with time but I have ordered a 80mm stem which hopefully will resolve this issue as I feel i might be too stretched out. I pushed my saddle forward but will move this back when I get the new stem.

    I think I am a good example to test the problem of the front end lifting on steep climbs as I ride a XL frame with a 420mm Reverb with only 95mm of seatpost in the frame. Im 6'4 and the tallest ride in my area so the light front end was a bit concern for me. I had this problem on many bikes in the past but I am happy to report this is not a problem for me on the TX29. If anything it is a little better than my last bike.

    This bike is a true speed machine and give the confidence to push hard on the trails. I have set a number of PB on strava on my last 2-3 rides which is the true guide for how fast this bike is.

    The main upgrades I plan for the bike is new brakes (find the Elixir 3 a little soft for my size - Im thinking XT), new wheels (crossmax st) and also a 150mm Reverb Stealth seatpost for the extra drop. I have changed the Nobby Nics for the bigger Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 tyres. These are huge tyres and clearance is not a problem.

    I have one questions for anyone who got the Frame only TX29. As I am considering a Reverb stealth seatpost once the 150mm comes available, is it possible to route the cable down the seattube, through the bottom bracket and up the down tube. From EGF168 pictures I can see a drain hole at the bottom of the downtube but not sure it there is still clearance at the bottom of the downtube to run the cable?

    I would also advice anyone undecided about this bike to make the leap. It is a fantastic bike, worth every cent.

  12. #612
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EGF168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmal26 View Post
    I have one questions for anyone who got the Frame only TX29. As I am considering a Reverb stealth seatpost once the 150mm comes available, is it possible to route the cable down the seattube, through the bottom bracket and up the down tube. From EGF168 pictures I can see a drain hole at the bottom of the downtube but not sure it there is still clearance at the bottom of the downtube to run the cable?
    Thereíll be a few tight bends getting the cable past the BB and into the down tube but I had a quick go with section of outer cable and it seemed possible.

  13. #613
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    33
    Looking at getting one of these bikes. Has anyone here converted the CTD Fox Fork/Shock to use the remote? Found the remote for $70, but nothing about the shock/fork parts and curious what the total would be.

  14. #614
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by rothnic View Post
    Looking at getting one of these bikes. Has anyone here converted the CTD Fox Fork/Shock to use the remote? Found the remote for $70, but nothing about the shock/fork parts and curious what the total would be.
    I don't think the rear one can be converted. You have to buy the actual remote shock because they use different eyelets. The fork is doable though.

    Here's something I found on Pinkbike:
    CTD Remote: FOX's CTD remote resembles the remote used to control their D.O.S.S. post, but a closer look reveals there it uses a dual cable arrangement that simultaneously controls both the fork and shock. The larger silver lever lets riders go from Descend to Trail and to Climb, while the smaller black lever releases the cable to go the opposite direction. The mount itself is hinged for easy installation or removal, and could theoretically also be positioned under the bar on the left side in place of a front shifter.

    Forks that are purchased with crown mounted CTD controls can be converted with an aftermarket kit to use the remote, but this is not possible with the rear shocks due to an entirely different eyelet being required to mount the remote's cable stop.

  15. #615
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    I don't think the rear one can be converted. You have to buy the actual remote shock because they use different eyelets. The fork is doable though.

    Here's something I found on Pinkbike:
    CTD Remote: FOX's CTD remote resembles the remote used to control their D.O.S.S. post, but a closer look reveals there it uses a dual cable arrangement that simultaneously controls both the fork and shock. The larger silver lever lets riders go from Descend to Trail and to Climb, while the smaller black lever releases the cable to go the opposite direction. The mount itself is hinged for easy installation or removal, and could theoretically also be positioned under the bar on the left side in place of a front shifter.

    Forks that are purchased with crown mounted CTD controls can be converted with an aftermarket kit to use the remote, but this is not possible with the rear shocks due to an entirely different eyelet being required to mount the remote's cable stop.
    Yeah, misread what I had seen on the bikeradar article on 2013 CTD shocks/forks. It states the same thing. That sucks, would kind of be nice to have. Could always exchange out rear shocks in the future, though.

  16. #616
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,369

    Weight differences between X1 and X2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Z4good View Post
    Good points Brooks. Although I have the X2, (my wallet, and my wife wouldn' allow X0 ;-) ....I find this bike to be hugely enjoyable. It is very stable, and as I get it more tuned in, it only gets better at both cimbing and desending. Enjoy your new ride!!
    I'm sorry if this has already been answered here but I'm looking for approximate weight differences between the two. Now, I know this is not a bike for weight weenies and I'm pretty set on the X1 just for the improved parts spec, at this point. I picked up both an X1 large and an X2 XL at my lbs and they felt really similar. Just curious if you or anyone else might know.

  17. #617
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    50
    Does anyone know if there is water bottle mounts on the x1 large mine is due in next week and I was just going to order a nice carbon fiber bottle holder then when I looked at some pics I didn't see any mounting taps for one

  18. #618
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    50
    👊✊🚵

  19. #619
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    I'm sorry if this has already been answered here but I'm looking for approximate weight differences between the two. Now, I know this is not a bike for weight weenies and I'm pretty set on the X1 just for the improved parts spec, at this point. I picked up both an X1 large and an X2 XL at my lbs and they felt really similar. Just curious if you or anyone else might know.
    If they are same frame size, weight dif is 1lb. Saw it somewhere
    on a site when I was shopping. My X2 they said would be 30.7lb.
    Was almost exactly that at the shop where I got my bike. The
    X1 is 29.7, in med.

  20. #620
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Z4good View Post
    Wow, I'm coming from the same background in that I rode a hardtail before getting the X2 29er. I absolutely love this bike, and it has not let me down yet. I just finished the Desert classic this morning and each time I go out it just puts a smile on my face. The F/S has allowed me to ride more technical portions and at the end of the ride I don't feel beat up at all, like I did on my hardtail. I am an older rider so I'm sure that's part of it.
    Were did they have the Demo? I know Specialized had one last weekend at Mcdowell mtn.
    And yes you can get this ride below list.
    Yes, it was the same weekend/parking lot as the Speshy demo. I passed two guys on Spesh f/s bikes on the demo loop and chuckled. Almost as if the bike wanted to pass them.

  21. #621
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,369
    Quote Originally Posted by grnd0 View Post
    If they are same frame size, weight dif is 1lb. Saw it somewhere
    on a site when I was shopping. My X2 they said would be 30.7lb.
    Was almost exactly that at the shop where I got my bike. The
    X1 is 29.7, in med.
    Thanks for the quick response. That's about what it felt like; not a whole lot of difference.

  22. #622
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymx410 View Post
    Does anyone know if there is water bottle mounts on the x1 large mine is due in next week and I was just going to order a nice carbon fiber bottle holder then when I looked at some pics I didn't see any mounting taps for one

    Med and up have mounts.

  23. #623
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    33
    Has anyone figured out what hubs come on the P-XC2 wheelset that comes on the Trance X1 29er? I've found references that they used to use DT Swiss 350 on some, seen references to Formula, or Deore as well.

  24. #624
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,369
    Quote Originally Posted by rothnic View Post
    Has anyone figured out what hubs come on the P-XC2 wheelset that comes on the Trance X1 29er? I've found references that they used to use DT Swiss 350 on some, seen references to Formula, or Deore as well.
    Giant dealer said they were DT Swiss (no model mentioned) but I though I read somewhere that only 1 hub was DT Swiss or, rather, Giant licensed the design from DT Swiss. The other hub is Formula.

  25. #625
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    Giant dealer said they were DT Swiss (no model mentioned) but I though I read somewhere that only 1 hub was DT Swiss or, rather, Giant licensed the design from DT Swiss. The other hub is Formula.
    Yeah, I'll have to check it out then. If it is still the 350 rebranded in the rear, the star ratchet upgrade looks to be worth doing. Also might relace some of the generic chinese carbon rims onto the hubs if they are decent enough.

Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •