Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Smile Trance 29 X 2

I've read this whole thread - some great comments - but not a lot said about the X 2

Unfortunately as much as i'd like to I can't afford to go for the X1 or X0 so an X2 is for me.

However i'd be interested to hear what peoples opinions on first things to change would be? Are the Sram gears really much inferior etc?

Thanks in advance

see me rollin, they hatin
    i test rode the X2 just to get an idea of fit. Seemed decent, but i'lll never really know because i didnt take it any further than the dirt parking lot. I liked the way it looked tho! I think it's around 30-31 pounds?
    fap

see me rollin, they hatin
    Quote Originally Posted by petey15 View Post
    ^ Ditto! For me, this bike has been nothing short of amazing. The only modifications I've made are to swap out the saddle for a Specialized Ariel (so much more girl-friendly than the Fizik) and to trim the bars down from 720mm to 680mm (liked the wide bars but had a few too many scrapes with trees). Had an awesome ride last weekend down a trail that would give me fits on my 26" bike. The larger wheels and slacker head angle seemed to be just the ticket and I emerged with a BFG! Looking forward to giving the slightly narrower bars a try this weekend.
    i trimmed mine down to 660! some people laughed at me, but that's how i always run my bars. i have a small upper body and narrow shoulders. there's no point in having extra inches of bar sticking out beyond my hands. My most commonly ridden trails have SUPER narrow tree passages, and most people i ride with, have to stop and walk thru a couple spots because their bars wont fit. I can just barely squeak thru without having to get off the bike i've had some near serious spills from whacking my bars, so i'm narrow fo' life.
    fap

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bin182 View Post
    I've read this whole thread - some great comments - but not a lot said about the X 2

Unfortunately as much as i'd like to I can't afford to go for the X1 or X0 so an X2 is for me.

However i'd be interested to hear what peoples opinions on first things to change would be? Are the Sram gears really much inferior etc?

Thanks in advance
    not having ridden the x2. I always put wheels and brakes at the top of my shopping list. i can live with crappy gears. So long as you aint racing i think low end stuff is fine as long as kept tuned. But wheels are always a great value upgrade...and brakes will save your life...generally.

Maybe the saddle might have to be turfed? I thought the saddle was OK on the x1 myself. And not that we are talking about it, but the saddle on the XTC is horrendous.Worst saddle ever. Its like having a seatpost rammed up your arse

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Got a couple rides on my X2. Weighed 30.7 stock and 28.6
    after putting on Stans Crest wheelset, tubless. Like the
    bike a lot after a couple of easy rides. I have a very sore
    right thumb, from an offroad motocycle crash, and have
    a little trouble pushing the shifters. I have ridden with
    grip shifters for a long time and think I might try the new
    Sram XO 2x10 set. Kind of expensive, but I think they
    will be worth it for me,

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bin182 View Post

Thanks in advance
    I've had my X2 for about a month now and have had it out on the trails quite a few times now. I love it! I think the shifters are crisp, and I haven't dropped a chain or missed a gear. It is around thirty pounds. The only changes I've made so far is a shorter stem and a better saddle.

I agree that the wheels would be the next best upgrade, but for the time being I'll go tubeless and just beat the crap out of these!

I rode all three models, but for the level I'm at the X2 fit the bill perfectly. As things break or wear out I'll upgrade. The bike rocks, and you won't go wrong with any model you buy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar24 View Post
    Thank you for the reply. What model do you have? How much clearance is there in the rear for tires?

How have the Giant branded whhels on the X0 been holding up for those who have them?
    I have the x0. I can't answered the questions about the clearance. It has hobby nics on it and they are awesome. As for the rims, I am a Clydesdale and yesterday took the bike to a more advanced trail with lots of roots, rocks, dips and small drops. Wheels have been great. They are tuneless capable and that is on my list. Other upgrades will include a carbon bar.

Rode today on my usual trail which is not difficult but the bike just makes it more fun as it is fast and as I get used tithe bike I can be aggressive in turns and it just devours roots, rocks and other trail chatter. I find it climbs like a goat. I am by no means a high level rider and think that in the hands of someone with more skill and in better condition, this would be off the chains....

My gut is that we over analyze thesenthingsmams just need to get a bike that works forums and go ride!
    Last edited by oldmanincary; 11-04-2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Typos...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Does anyone know if this crank is compatiable with this frame, SLX Shimano ?

Does anyone know if this crank is compatiable with this frame, SLX Shimano ?
    Product

Dudette
    Rode today on my usual trail which is not difficult but the bike just makes it more fun as it is fast and as I get used tithe bike I can be aggressive in turns and it just devours roots, rocks and other trail chatter. I find it climbs like a goat. I am by no means a high level rider and think that in the hands of someone with more skill and in better condition, this would be off the chains....

My gut is that we over analyze thesenthingsmams just need to get a bike that works forums and go ride![/QUOTE]

Taking oldmanincary's suggestion - that's exactly what I did today! The weather was perfect - 61 degrees and sunny when I began my ride. I got a few shots with the self-timer and thoroughly enjoyed the ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trance X 29 official intro-brookside-bowl.jpg  

Trance X 29 official intro-sunshine-my-shoulders.jpg  

Trance X 29 official intro-moment-truth.jpg  

Trance X 29 official intro-brookside-logover.jpg  

Trance X 29 official intro-up-over-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmanincary View Post
    I have the x0. I can't answered the questions about the clearance. It has hobby nics on it and they are awesome. As for the rims, I am a Clydesdale and yesterday took the bike to a more advanced trail with lots of roots, rocks, dips and small drops. Wheels have been great. They are tuneless capable and that is on my list. Other upgrades will include a carbon bar.

My gut is that we over analyze thesenthingsmams just need to get a bike that works forums and go ride!
    Thank you for the reply. I got to test ride an X2 on my local trails yesterday and it was a pretty nice ride. Very plus compared to my steel hardtail. This has definitely joined my list of FS 29s that I am looking at. It will be interesting to hear how the wheelsets on the X0 hold up for those who have them.

Anyone try a Fox 34 on one yet?
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Trance X 29 - nydownhiller's Bike Check - Vital MTB

This guy has a 34 but IMHO, that has destroyed the look of the TX290.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by pharcyde View Post
    Trance X 29 - nydownhiller's Bike Check - Vital MTB

This guy has a 34 but IMHO, that has destroyed the look of the TX290.
    Destroyed? Wut?? The TX29 is an ugly duckling, and that's by FAR the best looking TX29 I've seen... but who cares; how does it go with a 34, single ring guide and decent rubber?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trance X 29 official intro-s1600_trance_x_29.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So is the above bike back to over drive 1. The guy told me at fox they have no kashima od2

DFMBA.org
    I demoed the TX29Zero last Sunday and I've never ridden anything but a hardtail. I went to the demo to ride an Anthem X 29 but there was a line, and my time was short. Ended up demoing a size XL (because that was all that was avail) and at 6',1" I was surprised how well the bike fit. This bike was a tad heavy (Giant rep estimated 29#) but it felt very nimble on the twisty desert singletrack. Not sure if it was my favorable impression of a f/s bike, having not ridden one, or the fact that this bike was 'that' good on the trail, but I left impressed. I don't have the budget for the Zero and I'm wondering if the AX29er with a 120 fork would suffice. I'm more into XC but in Arizona sublime trail can quickly become rugged. My head spins. Could this be the perfect bike for AZ trail riding?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I paid far less for mine than sticker. Far less !

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    I demoed the TX29Zero last Sunday and I've never ridden anything but a hardtail. I went to the demo to ride an Anthem X 29 but there was a line, and my time was short. Ended up demoing a size XL (because that was all that was avail) and at 6',1" I was surprised how well the bike fit. This bike was a tad heavy (Giant rep estimated 29#) but it felt very nimble on the twisty desert singletrack. Not sure if it was my favorable impression of a f/s bike, having not ridden one, or the fact that this bike was 'that' good on the trail, but I left impressed. I don't have the budget for the Zero and I'm wondering if the AX29er with a 120 fork would suffice. I'm more into XC but in Arizona sublime trail can quickly become rugged. My head spins. Could this be the perfect bike for AZ trail riding?
    Wow, I'm coming from the same background in that I rode a hardtail before getting the X2 29er. I absolutely love this bike, and it has not let me down yet. I just finished the Desert classic this morning and each time I go out it just puts a smile on my face. The F/S has allowed me to ride more technical portions and at the end of the ride I don't feel beat up at all, like I did on my hardtail. I am an older rider so I'm sure that's part of it.
    Were did they have the Demo? I know Specialized had one last weekend at Mcdowell mtn.
    And yes you can get this ride below list.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    OK, so I gave the bastard fizik Gobi saddle a good go, and it is the only saddle that ever gave me saddle sores! The stiching on the sides that attaches the slippery material rubs me the wrong way and takes the skin off after long rides! I like how firm it is, but hate the chaffing from the stitching!

What saddles do you guys reccomend!?! Have had good luck with a few WTB saddles in the past...may head that way...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    ...Sorry wrong post

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Couple questions for X2 owners

Does this frame have a standard 1 1/8" - 1.5" taper fork? (and not Overdrive 2)
    And what letter is the blue and red letter on the shock?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post
    Couple questions for X2 owners

Does this frame have a standard 1 1/8" - 1.5" taper fork? (and not Overdrive 2)
    And what letter is the blue and red letter on the shock?
    Yes, the X2 has the standard 1 1/8" - 1.5".

Red L Blue M

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Does anyone know is the frame in Trance X2 the same what you can buy alone? I know that the shock and colour is different, but is weight the same? I want to buy Trance X2 and upgrade in future, but I don't want discover that the frame is heavier. I have photo X0 on scale and weight in medium is 2670g, but what is Trance X2 frame weight?

mtbr member
    Picked up my frameset today, looks stunning! 6.53lbs in XL with seat clamp, headset cups and chainstay protector.

Can someone measure the seat tube length on their XL frame? Measured from centre of BB to top of seat tube I'm getting 520mm-ish, so a lot less than the 560mm/22in listed in Giantís geometry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    EGF168, could you post pictures your frame, please? Do you have bolts on the bottom side down tube?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    You said you got a great deal spazdad? Which modwl did you get?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rafalwspin View Post
    EGF168, could you post pictures your frame, please? Do you have bolts on the bottom side down tube?
    Iíll see if I can take some pictures tomorrow. There are bolts used for running the rear brake line under the down tube rather than internally. The bolts squeeze the cable with a little wraparound clamp.

Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast