Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

... and if we just ...

Three short rides in and each ride gets better. I am riding in the T position and the bike simply eats up the trail noise (roots and rocks) and is über fun to ride. I am a Clydesdale and have not noticed any flex. The bike just likes to go and go and I have a great reason to improve my conditioning. It is an awesome bike and does what it is advertised. I recommend it to everyone looking for a trail bike with 5" of travel. Is it a race bike? Nah though I may race it on the Huck a Nuck next summer as I just ride faster than I ever did on my old Trance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmanincary View Post
    Three short rides in and each ride gets better. I am riding in the T position and the bike simply eats up the trail noise (roots and rocks) and is über fun to ride. I am a Clydesdale and have not noticed any flex. The bike just likes to go and go and I have a great reason to improve my conditioning. It is an awesome bike and does what it is advertised. I recommend it to everyone looking for a trail bike with 5" of travel. Is it a race bike? Nah though I may race it on the Huck a Nuck next summer as I just ride faster than I ever did on my old Trance.
    Thank you for the reply. What model do you have? How much clearance is there in the rear for tires?

How have the Giant branded whhels on the X0 been holding up for those who have them?
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Can someone share some close up pictures on how the internal cable routing is for the seat post, front and back derailleur and the brakes?
    My LBS doesn't seem to know what they are doing.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Got my bike finally, Tx29erXO and love it. I was a bit worried I had built it up too much in my head and it would inevitably be a bit of a let down when I finally got to ride it, but nope, this one lives up to the hype! It really is like cheating on this bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bludshroom View Post
    Can someone share some close up pictures on how the internal cable routing is for the seat post, front and back derailleur and the brakes?
    My LBS doesn't seem to know what they are doing.

Thanks
    The bike shop where my bike was assembled screwed up a number of things... but I think they got the routing correct, let me know if you would like any other pics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Wow, that rear brake run doesn't look good at all! You're going to get lots off rubbing there against the rear wheel from three looks of it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It is a camera perspective issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j__h View Post
    The bike shop where my bike was assembled screwed up a number of things... but I think they got the routing correct, let me know if you would like any other pics.
    Thanks for the close up pic. I just sent to my LBS and they finally seem to know how to route them.

What are the other things that the screwed up? I'm getting my back in 14 hours, and am afraid that I wouldn't be able to check out the bike completly before taking it out for a spin.
    Thanks

WAITING IS ALWAYS THE HARDEST PART.
    Last edited by Bludshroom; 10-29-2012 at 05:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for the close up pic. I just sent to my LBS and they finally seem to know how to route them.

What are the other things that the screwed up? I'm getting my back in 14 hours, and am afraid that I wouldn't be able to check out the bike completly before taking it out for a spin.
    Thanks

WAITING IS ALWAYS THE HARDEST PART.
    I thought all the cables come internally routed from the factory, with the exception of the rear brake? That's how mine came. Yes could you let us know what other things were screwed up on your build?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The seatpost and rear brake don't.
    As far as a bigger fork goes, I don't think many people have multiple 1.5"-1.25" tapered forks to swap.
    For those of you that have fox equipment
    There is a cool app for iPhones that calculates weight settings and also uses the camera to look at sag and makes adjustments based on how far the travel ring moved. Pretty nice if u ask me.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewitt501 View Post
    Anyone else think the seat tube angle looks silly slack? Going to be a nightmare to setup for someone with long legs and a shorter reach.
    It's really not that slack. Draw a line from the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube. That is the effective seat tube angle. What you see is giant making space for more travel and shorter stays than the Anthem 29er. It just looks worse than it is.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Thanks
    Glad I could be of assistance.

What else they screwed up? Oh man, get ready!
    Number one issue was this: I heard creaking from the front brake when stopped so I opened it up to investigate.

Hmmm. that does not look right and this is after riding about 3,000ft.

Wow... the bracket is on upside down, and the cupped washers are spaced incorrectly in order to have the rotor not hit the caliper with the upside down bracket.

(this is the correct way, the part that is dark is the one to notice and the cupped washers)

In addition they were not able to source the olive and insert so they could internally route the rear brake. I had to get one from another bike shop and deliver it. The ETA of the bike was a week later due to waiting for that olive and insert. I only found out about the inability to source when I called the day before it was set to be done including the 1 week delay. Then they forgot to put back the zerk cap for bleeding the rear brake. Also, bolts on the downtube to route the rear brake line if routed externally were removed leaving holes for mud, I have replaced them with nylon bolts. They also placed the lever for the dropper seat on the wrong side of the shifter. Finally, on my third ride which was yesterday my handlebars came loose due to what I suspect was not enough torque on the 4 stem bolts (vs them loosening after proper torque).

mtbr member
    Lol at the bracket!!!

Did the trance 29er X0 comes with a shock pump?
    my lbs kept asking me over the phone if I want a shock pump!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Lol at the bracket!!!

Did the trance 29er X0 comes with a shock pump?
    my lbs kept asking me over the phone if I want a shock pump!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    It did not come with a shock pump, the bike shop did not ask and I already have one anyways.

Oh, make sure you get the presta tubeless valves they do come with the bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks for reminding!
    I'm still afraid they would con me tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    [QUOTE=j__h;9826241]Glad I could be of assistance.

Wow... the bracket is on upside down, and the cupped washers are spaced incorrectly in order to have the rotor not hit the caliper with the upside down bracket.

(this is the correct way, the part that is dark is the one to notice and the cupped washers)

To me it looks like the problem is they are using a 180mm disc adaptor with a 160mm disc? A 160mm disc shouldn't need an adaptor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    it is a 180mm disc.
    Last edited by j__h; 10-29-2012 at 04:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    In addition they were not able to source the olive and insert so they could internally route the rear brake. I had to get one from another bike shop and deliver it. The ETA of the bike was a week later due to waiting for that olive and insert. I only found out about the inability to source when I called the day before it was set to be done including the 1 week delay. Then they forgot to put back the zerk cap for bleeding the rear brake. Also, bolts on the downtube to route the rear brake line if routed externally were removed leaving holes for mud, I have replaced them with nylon bolts. They also placed the lever for the dropper seat on the wrong side of the shifter. Finally, on my third ride which was yesterday my handlebars came loose due to what I suspect was not enough torque on the 4 stem bolts (vs them loosening after proper torque).[/QUOTE]

Wow. Glad to see you were able to get that all sorted. I had to run out and check mine over, but it looks like they got it all correct. Does your reference guide you linked to come from a build manual? Nice diagram!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    it comes from shimano website, it is what they call a tech doc

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by j__h View Post
    it is a 180mm disc.
    Just looked suspiciously like a 160mm disc. is it the right adaptor? Front and rear are usually different heights and reversed.Seems bizarre the frame doesn't have 180mm post mounts if that's the OEM size.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 10-29-2012 at 06:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Just looked suspiciously like a 160mm disc. is it the right adaptor? Front and rear are usually different heights and reversed.Seems bizarre the frame doesn't have 180mm post mounts if that's the OEM size.
    Fronts 180mm. Rear 160mm.

mtbr member
    Just wanted to say, It hasn't rained for almost 4 months, and TODAY, THE DAY I GOT MY BIKE. It started to Rain.....
    Not sure when I will get to test it. but hopefully tomorrow..

mtbr member
    Hi j__h,
    Would you be able to share some more pics of the rear brake cable setup?
    The rear brake cables of mine are in the BB instead of internally.

Also, how hard is it will be to set those back inside the frame?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hi j__h,
    Would you be able to share some more pics of the rear brake cable setup?
    The rear brake cables of mine are in the BB instead of internally.

Also, how hard is it will be to set those back inside the frame?
    Thanks
    The bike shop did it for me but you will have to buy a olive and insert for the brake line as you will need to disconnect it to run it through the frame. Then you will need to bleed the brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Z4good View Post
    Fronts 180mm. Rear 160mm.
    And it looks like a 160mm disc to me.

Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast