Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    Does anyone want my stinkin Gobi saddle? i'll sell it to you cheap. its a taint splitter! (then again, it's marketed towards boy's bums)
    Trust me, it's just as uncomfortable for boy's bums. I'm about to swap mine for a Prologo choice max.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    For the folks with the X1, what size front HS1 rotor did your bike come with? Specs on Giant site call for a 180 but my X1 came with a 170 which is kind of an oddball size that I don't anticipate many shops stocking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My Trance x1 is coming this weekend. Got the latest copy of "What Mountain Bike" this morning and to my surprise it gave the Trance X29 (0) a poor 3.5/5 review? Usual media cons of 135mm rear dropout and no chain device mount... but what surprised me was the talk of how flexible the bikes.

From WMB: "Perhaps inevitably the lightweight alloy frame does flex noticeably when you start to drill it into corners or try and drive it across the natural grain of the trail"

This is the first time I've heard any mention of flex in this bike. As I'm a Clyde rider, flex can be magnified with my 6'4" size. Anyone else experience the same flex. Can anyone compare the flex to a Tallboy LT?

Some other comments form the review...

"The X29 is on the lighter XC side of the trail spectrum"

"Sizing your Trance X29 right is crucial. Like many full suspension 29ers, the very slack, backward-pointing seat tube means it's easy to put weight too far back if your running a lot of seatpost. If your arse is over the axle then the front wheel will wash out too easily in corners and you'll continually have to force your weight forward on climbs which soon gets irritating."
    Last edited by Jmal26; 10-25-2012 at 04:53 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmal26 View Post
    "Sizing your Trance X29 right is crucial. Like many full suspension 29ers, the very slack, backward-pointing seat tube means it's easy to put weight too far back if your running a lot of seatpost. If your arse is over the axle then the front wheel will wash out too easily in corners and you'll continually have to force your weight forward on climbs which soon gets irritating."
    To be perfectly honest, I'm seeing the same thing on really steep climbing stuff. There's one specific trail here that's fairly tough, with some really steep climbing/turns while climbing, and I'm having a hard time keeping the front end from wandering. I thought I'd get used to it, but it is starting to get annoying to have to work that hard to keep the front end down.

Edit: I'm not feeling any flex like they were talking about, but I'm 150ish, so that might make a difference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    [QUOTE=Jmal26;9813676]My Trance x1 is coming this weekend. Got the latest copy of "What Mountain Bike" this morning and to my surprise it gave the Trance X29 (0) a poor 3.5/5 review? Usual media cons of 135mm rear dropout and no chain device mount... but what surprised me was the talk of how flexible the bikes.

From WMB: "Perhaps inevitably the lightweight alloy frame does flex noticeably when you start to drill it into corners or try and drive it across the natural grain of the trail"

This is the first time I've heard any mention of flex in this bike. As I'm a Clyde rider, flex can be magnified with my 6'4" size. Anyone else experience the same flex. Can anyone compare the flex to a Tallboy LT?

I'm 6'3" 190lbs, riding an X/L and riding some pretty rocky tech trails (although not that aggressive) and have not noticed any flex to speak of. I swapped out to a shorter stem, and I find this bike to be a great climber, with the only limitations being "me"! After reading numerous reviews, this is the first I've heard of this bike being flexible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    [/QUOTE] l'm 6'3" 190lbs, riding an X/L and riding some pretty rocky tech trails (although not that aggressive) and have not noticed any flex to speak of. I swapped out to a shorter stem, and I find this bike to be a great climber, with the only limitations being "me"! After reading numerous reviews, this is the first I've heard of this bike being flexible.[/QUOTE]

The flex was to big surprise as I have not read anything about this anywhere before. But sometimes these magazines can have a hidden agenda with reviews so a pinch of salt can be required The Trance X29 is only reaching the UK and Ireland now so I could not even test ride one for myself. My LBS cannot get anymore stock here till Feb 2013!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My LBS just got an unofficial model that slots above the X0. It's the same as the X0, ex. w/ XTR brakes, shifters, carbon seatpost, and carbon cockpit. MSRP is $4650. My X0 should arrive next week, I can't wait!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    [QUOTE=Z4good;9814141]
    My Trance x1 is coming this weekend. Got the latest copy of "What Mountain Bike" this morning and to my surprise it gave the Trance X29 (0) a poor 3.5/5 review? Usual media cons of 135mm rear dropout and no chain device mount... but what surprised me was the talk of how flexible the bikes.

I'm 6'3" 190lbs, riding an X/L and riding some pretty rocky tech trails (although not that aggressive) and have not noticed any flex to speak of. I swapped out to a shorter stem, and I find this bike to be a great climber, with the only limitations being "me"! After reading numerous reviews, this is the first I've heard of this bike being flexible.
    I've used the F120 on my Ax29er and noticed quite a bit of flex from that fork. What were they referring too. Front or rear end flex.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    [QUOTE=gvs_nz;9815749]
    Quote Originally Posted by Z4good View Post

I've used the F120 on my Ax29er and noticed quite a bit of flex from that fork. What were they referring too. Front or rear end flex.
    From WMB: "Perhaps inevitably the lightweight alloy frame does flex noticeably when you start to drill it into corners or try and drive it across the natural grain of the trail. Its a consistent and controlled load and relaxed response, however, rather than a load-up-and-sudden-twang-loose one that wants to high side you if your not carefull. The flex is spread equally through fork, frame and wheels which helps make it more manageable and forgivable. Like alot of relatively flexy but still great to ride, its certainly not sore of grip and I'll-find-my-own-way-through-stuff rough terrain ability

SUMMARY
    The trance X29 is definitelly on the lighter, cross country side of the trail spectrum, with a flexible but super-entertaining, agile ride. It's serious fun on the way up, the way down and while whipping along the single track in between. However there are potential weight dirtrubution issues if your at the top end of a given size, and the X29 is expensive when you compare it to already estabilished competition."

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    [QUOTE=Jmal26;9815869]
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post

From WMB: "Perhaps inevitably the lightweight alloy frame does flex noticeably when you start to drill it into corners or try and drive it across the natural grain of the trail. Its a consistent and controlled load and relaxed response, however, rather than a load-up-and-sudden-twang-loose one that wants to high side you if your not carefull. The flex is spread equally through fork, frame and wheels which helps make it more manageable and forgivable. Like alot of relatively flexy but still great to ride, its certainly not sore of grip and I'll-find-my-own-way-through-stuff rough terrain ability

SUMMARY
    The trance X29 is definitelly on the lighter, cross country side of the trail spectrum, with a flexible but super-entertaining, agile ride. It's serious fun on the way up, the way down and while whipping along the single track in between. However there are potential weight dirtrubution issues if your at the top end of a given size, and the X29 is expensive when you compare it to already estabilished competition."
    Yeah, I think the main reason WMB gave the X29 0 a 3.5 star score is the UK pricing. I can understand that as I saw the UK price is 3499. The current exchange rate makes that just over $5,400 AUD or $5,600 USD. The Australian RRP for an X29er 0 is $3799 AUD and you should be able to get it for a bit less from your LBS. I've been wondering what the rating would have been if the prices were comparable to here in Aus and am typing up WMB a letter to ask

Also remember on WMB rating system, 3 is "good - do the job and do it well" and 4 is "very good - one of the best you can buy".

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    [QUOTE=cozzal;9815968]

Yeah, I think the main reason WMB gave the X29 0 a 3.5 star score is the UK pricing. I can understand that as I saw the UK price is 3499. The current exchange rate makes that just over $5,400 AUD or $5,600 USD. The Australian RRP for an X29er 0 is $3799 AUD and you should be able to get it for a bit less from your LBS. I've been wondering what the rating would have been if the prices were comparable to here in Aus and am typing up WMB a letter to ask

Also remember on WMB rating system, 3 is "good - do the job and do it well" and 4 is "very good - one of the best you can buy".
    Looks like we're getting ripped off in Europe again... X1 is 2499 here. That's a little over 3K AUD! Close to the price of the X0? Wonder what shipping cost would be from Australia?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Every 2nd bike in Australia and New Zealand is nearly a Giant. Possibly because pricing down here for Giants has always been very sharp.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    [QUOTE=Jmal26;9815869]

SUMMARY
    Can't say I notice any on the Ax29er so it must be just a TX29er thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    [QUOTE=Jmal26;9815869]

SUMMARY
    Of all the reviews I've read to date, this is the first one to even mention flex through the frame...and its got some really good reviews. I would agree with the sizing issue if your near the top end of a given size.

see me rollin, they hatin
    looking at it, you'd see how the front end could be "light". honestly, i climb better on this bike than any other. must be a traction thing.
    fap

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    [QUOTE=gvs_nz;9816071]

Can't say I notice any on the Ax29er so it must be just a TX29er thing.
    I notice flex on the rear of my AX29, but that could also be due to the Stans Crest wheelset i run.

I just ordered an X1 today, but im told we (New Zealand) arent likely to get them until week 52

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    [QUOTE=VERT1;9816800]

I notice flex on the rear of my AX29, but that could also be due to the Stans Crest wheelset i run.

I just ordered an X1 today, but im told we (New Zealand) arent likely to get them until week 52
    Which size did you get mate? My small is coming week 46 (2 weeks away) - I'm in Welly.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    [QUOTE=tanivula;9816836]
    Quote Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post

Which size did you get mate? My small is coming week 46 (2 weeks away) - I'm in Welly.

Medium, where what shop you getting yours from I'm in Welly too

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    [QUOTE=VERT1;9816884]
    Quote Originally Posted by tanivula View Post

Medium, where what shop you getting yours from I'm in Welly too
    Cool, I ordered my X1 from Cycle Science in Lower Hutt. They said the M + L are coming after the S, but didn't think it was w52.

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    looking at it, you'd see how the front end could be "light". honestly, i climb better on this bike than any other. must be a traction thing.
    I agree, Nicole. My friend who rides an Anthem X 29er said she wondered when I put a motor up my you-know-what - I'm climbing much better. As far as being light in the front, maybe? But I have had other bikes that were much worse and wandered all over the place. I'm not finding any major issues with that at all. Riding a small and being on the lighter end of the spectrum (compared to the guys reporting), I haven't noticed any flex and the bike has been railing corners. It's awesome having a 29er that feels like it was built for me!

see me rollin, they hatin
    yeah, i'd feel hardcore if i ever had the capacity to flex a bike!
    fap

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I got my bike yesterday. Medium x1. All I can say is wow. This is my first 29er. Rebuilt the whole thing from ground up and went tubeless ASAP. Chopped 1/2" off each side of handle bar. The only thi g I don't like is the brakes are load. Hopefully they break in.
    As far as flex. I fell nothing but super confident and completely in tune with this machine. Can't wait for my first trail ride.

Btw. I weighed in with a nice set of spd's, tubeless with Stan's, and a inner tube chain gaurd at just over 30lbs. And for all the people who are taping about chain keepers I think u miss the fact of the type 2 derailer, which is slick!

I also added about 10% more air to both shocks.
    This bike is much heavier feeling than my older Jon tomac giant hardtail. I climbed like a goat on that bike. This bike should be fantastic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    [QUOTE=VERT1;9816800]

I only had rear end flex with the original crossmarks. Nothing since swapping the tires out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Mine has a 170 front rotor as well! Is this bad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a couple of questions about the new Trance 9er. I do have to admit I have not searched through the whole thread and I know the bike is pretty new so the answers might not even be out there yet.

1. What is the widest tire you can fir in the rear? Will a 2.4 Ardent or a 2.35 Rampage fit?

2. Has anyone thrown an Fox F34 spacered down to say 130mm on yet? Or even down to 120mm?

I am really interested in this frame since it seems to tick all the boxes that I am looking for and comes in nicely under my budget. Though I have to say the posts about the review saying the bike is flexy makes me nervous at 225 pounds without gear.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast