Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    I finally got a chance to ride my new XO on some trails today and was very impressed. My most recent mountain bike was a Scott Spark and I had never ridden a 29er prior to this XO. I don't know if it is the larger wheels or suspension or a combination of both, but this bike handles the roots and climbs better than any other mountain bike I have ridden. I was surprised at how quickly I became comfortable handling this bike on the trails since I was coming from a 26er. I am 5'9" and bought a medium and find the sizing perfect. My Spark weighed about 5lbs less, but I definitely prefer the Maestro suspension even with the added weight. I would love for the X0 to be lighter, but I doubt it would make any difference in my riding performance or pleasure. I am not the most experienced mountain biker, but I do not find this bike feeling big or experienced any issues with the front end lifting on steep climbs as a few others have mentioned. The XT brakes and shifting are excellent and I find the saddle comfortable. I have no regrets purchasing this bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Good points Brooks. Although I have the X2, (my wallet, and my wife wouldn' allow X0 ;-) ....I find this bike to be hugely enjoyable. It is very stable, and as I get it more tuned in, it only gets better at both cimbing and desending. Enjoy your new ride!!

mtbr member
    I demo'd a Trance XO this past weekend and rode the BLT/Noble Canyon just east of San Diego ( I have a X1 on order, but it will be a few weeks before it arrives). I am a recent convert to 29" wheels after 15 yrs on 26" bikes. My regular ride is a '12 Giant Anthem XO 29er that I have been on for 6 months. The Anthem will remain my race bike, but I wanted a "fun" bike for all mountain type riding.

Now to my impressions of the bike:
    This was a perfect trail to get an all around impression of the bike. We rode about 35 miles, which included an 8 mi climb, some nice mostly flat single track, and a 10 mi ripping downhill that transitioned from smooth and flow-y to technical and rocky. Here's my strava info from the ride: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 33miles near Pine Valley | Times and Records | Strava

The ride started on the climb. I switched between the "trail" and "climb" settings on the suspension to get a feel of the difference. I have to say, the bike was surprisingly efficient in the Climb setting, so it stayed there a majority of the climb. My riding partner actually commented about how little the suspension was reacting to my pedal stroke.

Once we got to the top, I flipped everything to the Trail mode, where it stayed until the long downhill. One some of the short, twisty downhills, I did notice a bit of a peculiar handling characteristic. The rear end has a slight "swing around" feeling. The really exaggerated way to describe it would be as if you had a swiveling castor wheel in back (like the front wheel on a shopping cart). Obviously, it's not really as if it has a castor wheel in back, but a hint of that sensation is there. I wouldn't necessarily say that I had a strong opinion about this characteristic, good or bad, only that it was something I had to get accustomed to and definitely different from my AX29. Otherwise, I found it pretty easy to handle and it seemed to stay on line well.

Now to the descent. A quick flip of the suspension to the "Descend" setting and away we went. This bike is a absolute joy when headed downhill. Don't let the strava rankings/times fool you; my buddy's bike had mechanical problems the whole way down, so much of the recorded time was spent working on his rig. Whether it was setting into berms or floating over rocks, the bike was super predictable by this point.

I know other folks in this thread have a different opinion, but I definitely enjoyed having the CTD suspension. It was a decided advantage to be able to firm up the suspension on the climbs and open it up on the DHs. Can't wait to get my bike, this ride was only enough to whet my appetite
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trance X 29 official intro-dsc03707.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JTAC View Post
    Yes...it is.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Can't wait to get my med x1.
    Back order with no date.
    Hopefully before snow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazdad View Post
    Can't wait to get my med x1.
    Back order with no date.
    Hopefully before snow
    Wow. I guess I should count my blessings. I ordered by X0 and got it in less than a week.
    “Change is not a requirement because survival is not mandatory”

Space Ghost
    Not to make you guys feel bad, but my LBS has a Md. X0, Md. & Lg. X1 and two X2's, just sitting on the floor.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    When I ordered mine my LBS didn't have any on the floor as it was so new. The bike I ordered was the first one he sold. Now he has them in stock.
    “Change is not a requirement because survival is not mandatory”

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I live in Wisconsin. Not much 5" worthy trails here. But 7 hrs north is copper harbor an a few other good trails. We have some real nice rocky trails about 15 mins from my house in the kettles. Basically where the glaciers went through and gouged the land into a ton off awesome wooded his and valleys.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417 View Post
    Not to make you guys feel bad, but my LBS has a Md. X0, Md. & Lg. X1 and two X2's, just sitting on the floor.
    You really know how to hurt a guy Coach!!!!!!!! The wait to see/demo is nearly killing me

Have demo'ed the Yeti SB95 and Kona Satori thus far

Yeti - good bike but just never felt very comfortable on it - that said - it's still a pretty rocking bike

Kona - this one honestly disappeared beneath me and was great for such a long travel 29 - gonna ride it again - after I demo the TX29

good news I guess - I eliminated the most expensive on my target list!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Those that have the TX29ers can you please tell me how the Fox and Rockshox rear shock are tuned in the Factory. The shocks will have a red and blue letter on them.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Anyone tried a 140mm fork or know if the frame is warranted for a fork this length?

I have a Reba 120mm but wondering whether to get a Rev 140mm DPA in its place as the RCT3 damping is way better.

Dudette
    Demo'd an X0 three weeks ago and was really impressed. One of my riding buddies bought herself an Anthem X 29er last year and her riding skills have increased immeasurably. The 29er just rolls over everything that gets put in front of it. She climbs like a goat on it and I have been jealous ever since. I've been in the market for a new full suspension bike for a while now and when I heard about the Trance X 29er coming out this year, I was hoping I'd get the opportunity to try it out. As luck would have it, our LBS scheduled the demo truck to coincide with our club's fall mountain bike festival, and my wish came true.

I never thought I'd afford an X0, so I decided I'd try for the X1 and upgrade to the XT brakes, as I really liked those a lot. Coming from mechanical brakes, I was in awe. The shop owner said he'd see what he could do for me and let me know. Imagine my surprise when he called to tell me he could get me an amazing deal on an X0 and would I be interested. For the price I was quoted, there was no way I could say no. My small X0 arrived in the shop on Thursday and I picked it up on Friday. The shop owner was incredible. He routed all the cables internally for me, and trimmed them up beautifully. On top of that he set the wheels up tubeless for me with Stans. Are you kidding me??? Holy cow - that was above and beyond. I've had perma-grin since I got the call about the bike on Tuesday.

Today I got to take it out for its inaugural spin. I'm 5'4" with a 29 1/2" standover. The cockpit has been set up with the stem flipped and no spacers beneath it. As such, the handlebars are *just* about even with the saddle. The reach for me feels spot-on. I have a bit of bend in the arms, but it doesn't feel too short and is definitely not too long. The handlebars feel perfect to me, but I have been riding wider bars and shorter stems for a few years now. The only change I have made from stock is to swap out the Fizik saddle for a Specialized Ariel - that Gobi was definitely NOT made for a woman ;o).

I started off my ride with a nice climb up a benchcut with a couple of switchbacks. No issues whatsoever. In fact, to me, I felt like it handled the switchbacks just as well, if not better than the 26er I was coming off of. I had no nose lift in the front during my climb. I was able to scoot up a bit on the saddle and weight the front end and it felt natural to me and didn't feel like it took any effort to keep the nose down. I do have to get used to the 2x10 gearing. I'm coming from a 3x9 SRAM setup and yeah, this is definitely a bit different. But that's okay, it's just all part of the learning curve of having a new bike, IMO. Shifting was ridiculously smooth and quiet. Very responsive and quick. I heard that there is a breaking-in period for the Shadow derailleur with the clutch, but honestly, I never noticed any hesitation at all.

The next part of the ride involved a technical rooty/rocky descent over some loose stones. It handled it beautifully. I was going rather slowly and yet I never felt like I had trouble steering it or getting it to respond to my input. The brakes felt awesome! The next section was a flowy bit of trail with some nice turns thrown in. This bike loves to corner. It felt incredibly stable and I had no issues leaning the bike at all and just letting it do its thing. Cornering has always been a weak point for me - I'll readily admit to that. I felt very comfortable maneuvering my body in the cockpit and leaning. I have a singlespeed 29er and this bike, to me, simply did NOT feel like it was big or anything else, at least in regards to me and my riding style. I felt very comfortable on it.

That being said, there were a couple of thing I noticed. I knew it had a lower bottom bracket, and I had a lot of pedal strikes. I checked out my rear shock and noticed that the O ring was all the way at the bottom. I didn't go over anything that would cause it to bottom out like that, so I wondered if perhaps it just needed more air. This is how it had been set up at the LBS though, so I figured I'd just finish the ride out as it was. I was riding with flat pedals - a decision I made a few months ago right before I attended a skills clinic. I felt, for myself, that I was relying on clipless pedals too much and wanted to work on my skills a bit before giving them a try again. Also, I was having a lot of knee and back pain - which has diminished considerably since I went back to flats. Anyway, you do have to be aware (at least on the small bike) where your foot placement is, as I did experience toe rub from time to time. However, I do get that on my other 29er sometimes, so it's an easy enough adjustment for me.

The wheels felt great to me and very solid. This was my first experience riding tubeless and I loved it. The Nobby Nics were awesome!! I rode back to the parking lot and got out my shock pump. The rear shock was set a lot lower than what I would normally ride, so I added some air. Same with the fork. I'll give that a spin sometime this week (wet forecast for most of it, so not sure when that will be) and see how it feels to me.
    There are a lot of features on this bike I haven't really tried yet, including switching the settings between climb, trail and descend. And I'll admit, I probably am not the person to ask about that this is my first experience with Fox and such an adjustable suspension system. I left everything on the trail setting for the entire ride.

So, my ride report isn't full of all kinds of techni-speak but my overall impression is very good. The suspension is very plush and the bike was a joy to ride. I'm really happy with my decision!
    Last edited by petey15; 10-05-2012 at 08:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get your X0 for? I really want one, just hoping I can find a decent deal.

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by cms_atx View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get your X0 for? I really want one, just hoping I can find a decent deal.

Honestly, the stars must have been aligned for me and my LBS must have worked some serious magic - I got it for just a bit more than what the X1 costs. I never would have expected that in a million years. Like I said, I figured I'd go for the X1 (even that was more than I had originally intended on spending) and upgrade the brakes.

I've named him "Merlin"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trance X 29 official intro-img_0350.jpg  

see me rollin, they hatin
    ^ size small?
    fap

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post
    Those that have the TX29ers can you please tell me how the Fox and Rockshox rear shock are tuned in the Factory. The shocks will have a red and blue letter on them.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
    My RockShox rear shock has a Red L and a Blue M

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    ^ size small?
    Yup! I may scoot the saddle back just a hair, too. I had it almost all the way forward as that's how the LBS had the stock saddle set up for me.

You said you tried the medium, right Nicole? Is there any chance you could sit on a small? I honestly thought I was going to be an x-small too, based on the #'s on the Giant website and what people were saying about order a size smaller than what they would normally go with. I couldn't imagine trying to go smaller now.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey Nicole - my wife has ridden my TX29er a few times now, and it doesn't feel too big on her (she rides my Anthem too). Size S, she's 5'3". No problems in comparison to Epic/Anthem. She hasn't done any long rides on it, but for short jaunts it's fine. I'll get her to do a longer ride on it at some point soon. She could probably go with the XS and be comfortable too, though.

see me rollin, they hatin
    i sat on a med because thats all they had. it was massive for me. well, maybe it just seemed that way because i had the seat real low, and the bars felt so high. I havent made up my mind on this bike yet. it is great, but i may also have a custom frame made (thats a whole different story)
    fap

mtbr member
    Went out and rented a 2013 Giant Trance X 29er on Friday night. Did a quick 15 miler on it on Friday night on my local trails, then went up to Auburn on Saturday and did another 25 miles with about 3000 feet of climbing to see if the bike really was that good. It was! I smashed all my PR's on Strava riding this bike. I went to return the bike and wound up buying on for a price I could not refuse.
    This bike just rolls thru and over everything and seems to be at least as quick and flickable as my old 2008 stumpjumper pro. The suspension is masterful, I the settings on trail most of the time and felt very little bob, it felt very efficient. I think it climbed as well as the stumpjumper due to the oversize wheels, and active suspension. I switched to descend at the end of my ride which was a 3 mile rocky downhill. I have never gone as fast as I did then! WOW, this bike is a fun and fast descender, just rolls over everything! The big reason I went with this over the 29er epic or any of the 29er treks was standover. I am only 5-4 and really did not have any standover on any of those bikes. This bike gives me about 1-2 inches of standover. The only thing I am gonigto change is the brakes to XT andput on a 22 inner chainring so I can get up the steep pitches a bit easier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trance X 29 official intro-img_3624.jpg  

Trance X 29 official intro-img_3628.jpg  

Trance X 29 official intro-img_3631.jpg  

Trance X 29 official intro-img_3627.jpg  

Trance X 29 official intro-img_3626.jpg  

Dudette
    One thing I am a little bummed about is the ability to run any kind of bashguard on the Shimano XT 2X10 setup. I've always just replaced the 3rd ring on my other bikes to run a bashguard and just never gave it a thought with this bike. Without the ISCG tabs, I'm out of luck . I'll ride the bike as it is and see how it goes, but we have a lot of log piles and rock gardens on my local trails that bashguards on my other bikes have proved their worth. Any chance that Giant will be developing some kind of adapter to allow the use of a bashguard?

mtbr member
    Is it feasible to expect Giant to come up with an adapter for a Shimano product?

Perhaps you can sell the cranks for a set of cranks you prefer. Considering you purchased a small frame, maybe this would be a good chance to try cranks with shorter crank arms.

TRANCER
    Those ****ing things look insane ! Can't wait to test one
    Ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    About how long do you expect a bike to be on back order when they give no date for availability. ?

Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast